Featured Filigree Cheroot Holder

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KSW, Jan 14, 2023.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Is this likely Portuguese? I know that’s been suggested for some of the similar filigree jewellery that’s been on the forum.
    No marks that I can see.
    Any ideas as to age?
    It was totally black and cleaning is work in progress.
    It’s so intricate and fragile and an absolute witch :troll: to clean so I’m slightly regretting buying it :confused:
    Thanks for looking :)
    6040FAC1-9D6D-4197-945A-5672129C853B.jpeg 2255BFEA-F30A-4912-9C02-374E516484F2.jpeg 6CB6E55F-B2E4-4ECC-B688-0B89E5D3A224.jpeg 3DE9FDEA-E753-48DE-8E8C-703316B75315.jpeg 4859653F-A7F8-46D1-975A-66253D0973E1.jpeg C4E843F3-25C2-4E54-8389-E174C805DF46.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Stunning piece, K.:happy:
    I could be wrong, but I get an Ottoman Turkish vibe. They also made beautiful filigree. Tulips are a Turkish favourite. (They are closet Dutch:playful:)
    Silver foam?

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I totally concur with AJ! :happy: For all she said above:joyful:

4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Lovely! That filigree work is tedious! You might be able to do a dip with hot water in a pan, line with foil then bring to boil, reduce heat and pour in baking soda. Dip the silver then rinse and cloth dry it.

johnnycb09 and stracci like this.
  5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Uuhh, nooo! :facepalm:Not for a deeply tarnished piece! You end up with, yes, tarnish removed... But instead you have "raw" silver, matte white you'll have to polish to make it shine!:(

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree. The dreaded aluminium foil and baking soda method leaves silver a dull grey or white, and not all silver can be polished to a sheen again without some serious buffing. Buffing not only removes some of the beautiful patina, but it is not to be recommended with delicate filigree.

I'd use silver foam.

7. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

It's really beautiful.
    What an interesting piece!

Aquitaine, KSW, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  8. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Ooooh! What a pretty thing!
    Absolutely agree with AJ about the silver foam.
    This is my go-to when faced with cleaning up filigree. Comes with a sponge, but I like to use a soft brush too.
    [​IMG]

Any Jewelry, Aquitaine, KSW and 6 others like this.
  9. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

KSW-You are absolutely killing it this week ! Next time we're in the UK forget the Brit Museum and V&A-it'll be nothing but thrifting.Allright-stop the suspense & please pull-out your Faberge' eggs.
    PS-Feel free to send it to me for cleaning.
    PSS-$700-$1200 ? (sorry to mention value-must be in shock !).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Great information, Thankyou :kiss:
    I think the jewellery foam and multiple cleanings are the way forward!
    I’m not sure if it’s silver or a low fineness of that or just base metal?
    The stem polished up nicely but those leaves :arghh:

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Buffing isn’t an option here as it is too catchy and fragile.
    Any guesses on when this was made AJ?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou, another piece from a dealers scrap box!

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Lol, I did once find a Russian silver egg but not Faberge sadly :hilarious:

What? No we don’t discuss values but **whispers** where did you get that value from as I can’t even find one similar to compare it with?**
    :eek:

14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@KSW, I took your last image where I thought I saw tiny marks on the shaft, and enlarged it 2X (3X only messed them up....the program will do that if I try to ask too much of it!!!).....up to you if you want see if there's anything there....I think I see some definitely small 'ss' in one of the areas (#3), only on the shaft. I've put 5 arrows to mark where.....hold down CTL and scroll FWD (towards the screen) to enlarge a bit more for a little bit more enlargement.....my eyes start to go a little bonkers after a while!!! Hope it helps!:happy::happy:

C4E843F3-25C2-4E54-8389-XXX-gigapixel-art-scale-2_00x.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks Aqui! I’ll have a really good look. There could well be a mark hidden under the tarnish.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

"What? No we don’t discuss values but **whispers** where did you get that value from as I can’t even find one similar to compare it with?**"

Ebay-
    *Antique Filigree Silver Butterscotch Amber Ottoman Turkish Pipe Cigarette Holder-US $799.00
    *Antique Turkish Ottoman Filigree Silver Cigarette Holder Cherry Bakelite Amber
    “The Bakelite shaft has few chips and detached from the pipe component”
    US $700.00
    *Mouthpiece For Cigarette Antique Early '900 Art Nouveau Filigree Silver
    US $270.56 (this cheap ones my fave)
    PS-I actually couldn't find one as elaborate as yours,great piece !

kyratango, Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  17. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

OMG!!!! :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

I would have scooped this thing up in a skinny minute just because it is so cool looking. I would have then done exactly what you did & would have brought it here to ask WTH is this cool-looking thing???? :rolleyes::rolleyes::hilarious:

Look at these images of the "Turkish Ottoman Filigree Silver Cigarette Holder" that I found. Talk about cool-looking things!! :happy::happy:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...kFHbgaCuAQjJkEegQICBAC&biw=1920&bih=937&dpr=1

I can't tell from your photos but am assuming the end of the butterscotch piece is open?

kyratango, Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ah, I was only looking UK.
    Probably very ambitious sellers, I wish those were sold prices!

kyratango likes this.
  19. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Yes, the end is open.
    It’s a funny thing isn’t it.
    The dealer obviously wasn’t impressed with it as it was tossed in the scrap but I thought it was such an oddity that it deserved to be rescued.
    I still can’t find one even similar which is frustrating.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted