FINAL(!) THRIFT STORE FIND TODAY - HELP w/SIGNATURE ON 1908 PAINTING

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A no account Count?

Debora

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

:hilarious:

Bronwen likes this.
  3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Well, from a quick read of his book reviews, he didn't like Americans and they returned the feelings with great gusto. :p

Bronwen, Aquitaine and i need help like this.
  4. Jivvy

Given some additional reading... this piece may have particular interest because of the Hochberg family.

I wouldn't let it go without some input from someone familiar with the history of the family.

No idea how to go about that or who to talk to.

Bronwen, i need help and Lucille.b like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think the next step would be to remove this painting from its frame.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

OK so I'm reading this & I'm thinking I'm not crazy - it's a painting! And then when Debra (whose opinion - like the majority of those here - I admire) said this lends doubt to the other painting's validity - I got worried & knew it was time to open this one up & see what was really behind the glass!
    So, I took it out of the frame & Yep, it's a newer frame with new nails & cardboard backing, BUT(!!!) under that is a obviously old canvas and what still looks like a painting!!
    Could Count Fratz also have been a artist? Or did someone paint his photo?
    I do not see paint over a print!
    So, please tell me what I have - is it a copy by a admirer? A painted over print? Or a unknown painting by this travel auther(lol) home run?
    Thank you guys!
    Close up of everything below:

AA ART PAINTING LANDSCAPE THRIFT STORE FIND 5AAA.JPG AA ART PAINTING LANDSCAPE THRIFT STORE FIND 5BAA.JPG AA ART PAINTING LANDSCAPE THRIFT STORE FIND 5AA_AA.JPG AA ART PAINTING LANDSCAPE THRIFT STORE FIND 6AA.JPG AA ART PAINTING LANDSCAPE THRIFT STORE FIND 7AA.JPG AA ART PAINTING LANDSCAPE THRIFT STORE FIND 7BBAA.JPG AA ART PAINTING LANDSCAPE THRIFT STORE FIND 7A_AA.JPG AA ART PAINTING LANDSCAPE THRIFT STORE FIND 8AA.JPG

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  7. journeymagazine

Wait! The link jivy sent says the guy was a talented painter! Could I have a original painting by him?
    Also, I don't want to sound dumb - I haven't read everything about the count because I've been busy wondering if I had a print(!) - can someone tell me in a short - simple - way who/what the Count Fritz was? (I'm going back to reading jivvy's link now so I may figure it out)
    Thanks again

8. Jivvy

"Count Fritz Hochberg was the brother of Hans Heinrich XV, Count Hochberg and 3rd Prince von Pless. The Counts von Hochberg ruled over vast estates of forest and mineral rich land in lower Silesia [JIVVY ADDS: now Poland], and in the nineteenth century inherited the Principality of Pless."

Taken from http://theesotericcuriosa.blogspot.com/2013/04/my-lady-of-footnotes-one-of-baby.html

Also:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Pless

9. Jivvy

I think you do. Others think otherwise. :joyful:

10. journeymagazine

Thanks jivvy! - Also while reading your link I noticed the count loved dogs - he even had a dog racing track built at his home; my other painting from same antique painting/framing shop was of a dog by dog painter John Emmes - maybe dogs are connection for paintings being donated together?

Bronwen and antidiem like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ya know... I dunno. Could be exactly what it's supposed to be. Hard to work from computer images but... I can't find any obvious discrepancies between the reproduction and your piece. A mystery (to me.)

Debora

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Identical.....right down to the image.....

13. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Journey, just my opinion here. . .don't take the Emms painting out of its framing. . .if it can be authenticated as an original it could be worth a small fortune!

Bronwen, Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  14. journeymagazine

If you need any other view/angle just ask Debra - if the emms painting is real, could this be a painting by the count guy? Would it be valuable? (Haven't found any that have sold but did read that he gave one painting to "the church" and it still stands in a wind of a new church after the 1st church was torn down due to mining damage(?)

Bronwen, antidiem and i need help like this.
  15. i need help

I think this debate could go on endlessly. With no obvious evidence for a conclusion in either direction on either of these, you might have them looked at, if possible. :)

Bronwen, Lucille.b and Jivvy like this.
  16. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Here is the painting he did and gave it to the church. If you look closely at the painting he did for the church the quality and detail of the OP is not even close. The church painting has more detail. It also states that he was a talented painter. Sorry but the OP does not match the quality of the church one.

hoc582dunc3b3w-oc582tarz.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  17. i need help

This, as per article posted above, may be a painting done in the field. I’m not sure how to compare to an in studio work.

18. Jivvy

And do you think the book illustration that @quirkygirl found is better than the OP's piece?

19. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I'm talking about the church painting comparing it to the OP. I could care less about the illustration. The article you posted said he was a talented artist. The church painting shows way more detail. The OP shows a very amateur style. Your saying it's by someone whos style doesn't match up to the OP post. Look at the church painting and look at the OP post. Style is totally different.

Bronwen likes this.
  20. Jivvy

Did you not follow that the book illustration was done by the same person who did the church piece?

Bronwen and aaroncab like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted