FINAL(!) THRIFT STORE FIND TODAY - HELP w/SIGNATURE ON 1908 PAINTING

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 11, 2019.

1. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Also don't seeing it being a high dollar painting regardless of the outcome. Unless someone from the family who would like to have it

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  2. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I have my opinion and it's pretty obvious your sticking with your opinion. Goodluck with it journey.

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

My opinion is that the painting is a dead on match for the illustration.

I don't know what else to say. :hilarious:

Bronwen, antidiem, aaroncab and 3 others like this.
  4. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I'm sending email with Emms painting to Christies to see if they'll auction it - they've done a lot of his work. And if they agree, then they will check it first before an auction & then I will know for sure

Bronwen, antidiem, quirkygirl and 2 others like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Best of Luck!

Bronwen and Lucille.b like this.
  6. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

You mentioned this person in another thread. Does he fill his basket with things he finds, and offer them to people in the thrift store?

Bronwen likes this.
  7. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Doesn't fill his basket; there are too many regulars who go for the same thing.But when he finds something he doesn't buy it - he offers it to me or someone else for a small price.
    To me it's like having an extra pair of eyes!

Bronwen, i need help and antidiem like this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Sounds the ideal "job" for a retiree with good eyes! :cat:

Bronwen, Jivvy and i need help like this.
  9. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Interesting - the staff doesn't mind? Do you pay him in the store?

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A 'finder's fee'.

aaroncab and Jivvy like this.
  11. Bronwen

Following up on qgirl's lead, read a good bit of the section of the book that concerns Kashmir. Hochberg repeatedly mentions sketching, but also leaves the area with regret because he could have spent weeks there painting, so it may be that he considered them sketches, not fully realized work.

Here are his works from that region shown together:

https://www.searchkashmir.org/2012/08/paintings-of-pahalgam-and-sind-valley.html

His trip seems to have taken place in 1908. Does the painting in question seem that old? It would certainly make sense for it to be on board rather than on the bulkier, more easily damaged canvas.

12. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

This is a behavior that would quickly get on my nerves. Supposedly he has no intention of buying these items for himself, but he holds them for you and offers them to you for money. Bartering over the rights to purchase something when you have no intention of purchasing it is a dishonest behavior in my opinion. I could see if it was something that he had picked out for himself to buy, and then you offered him a few dollars for it ...but the other way around seems a bit crazy to me.

13. Bronwen

14. Jivvy

The thing is... the painting is either that old or someone copied it brush stroke for brush stroke for brush stroke... and that, I cannot buy.

(The opinion may not surprise anyone.) :joyful:

antidiem, Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
  15. Bronwen

E.g.:

upload_2019-2-13_20-48-47.png

antidiem likes this.
  16. Bronwen

I'm more inclined to think it's the real deal than not. It was (re?)framed, maybe cleaned, in more recent time; 110 years is not so old as al 01111111111111111111111111(they want a snack!) not so old as all that for a painting. However, this may not be wrong:

antidiem and Jivvy like this.
  17. Jivvy

(snacks) :hilarious:

Oh, no argument from me on possible value. Given the family history and importance, there may be value there. There may be a LOT of value there.

There may be ZERO value there.

Beyond my knowing. EDIT TO ADD: I just think it would be foolish not to find out before selling.

antidiem and Bronwen like this.
  18. Bronwen

Agree. A copy of the first edition of the book could set you back a bit:
    https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Se...m_sp=sort-_-SRP-_-Results&kn=travels&sortby=1

I don't know who you would approach about authenticating. If any of his work has appeared at auction in the age of the Internet, I'm not seeing it. If it had to be evaluated at the level of age of materials used, cost might outstrip any value that could be realized. Where it actually looks like it might be most in demand is Kashmir.

This seems to be the one other trace of von Hochberg:

http://theesotericcuriosa.blogspot.com/2013/02/thursday-to-monday-la-dolce-vita.html

antidiem likes this.
  19. Bronwen

Maybe Bolko is on Facebook. He seems to be the incumbent:

Hans Heinrich X, 1st Prince of Pless c.1850-1855 (1806-1855)
    • Hans Heinrich XI, 2nd Prince of Pless 1855-1907, Duke of Pless 1905-1907
      • Hans Heinrich XV, 3rd Prince of Pless 1907-1938 (1861-1938)
        • Hans Heinrich XVII, 4th Prince of Pless 1938-1984 (1900-1984)
        • Alexander, 5th Prince of Pless 1984 (1905-1984)
        • Bolko (1910-1936)
          • Bolko, 6th Prince of Pless 1984-present (b.1936)

Jivvy likes this.
  20. Jivvy

I've read just about everything I could find on Hochberg (obsess much?) and the woman who has the Daisy of Pless blog I linked to is on Facebook. She has written a couple of books on the topic, but I know nothing about her credentials.

I can't find ANYTHING about where his paintings ended up (other than the church painting). I have found Hochbergs and Roches (his quickly estranged spouse) in the US, so...

Who knows? The Hochbergs relationship with the Kaiser may have resulted in all of his work being destroyed.

You just think there'd be an available record somewhere.

antidiem and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted