Featured Finally got what I am pretty sure is celluliod. Yay!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Michelle Collins, Jun 6, 2019.

1. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The celluloid items posted, all have a high sheen, missing from the OP's
    upload_2019-6-6_15-4-59.png

Agreed.

This type of jewelry was sold through all kinds of gift stores in the 60s-70s. I remember seeing it in a lot of souvenir shops. Some of it was bone, but most of it was ivory. I don't remember ever seeing it listed as celluloid or ivory.
    I'm getting older and my memory is not necessarily what it used to be.

judy, Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Yes, amazingly enough!. You wouldn't think it would be worth their while but it's out there.

3. clutteredcloset49

Hmm.
    I had heard that was supposed to be good jewelry glue.
    I bought some at a bead show once. It didn't seem to work well so I never bought it again.
    Maybe I bought FAKE Glue. Amazing.
    Will have to try it again.

Thanks for the info @KSW

judy, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Michelle Collins

Michelle Collins Well-Known Member

The rose is an 1 1/2" on the short side.

5. Michelle Collins

IMG_20190606_183324359.jpg IMG_20190606_183302358.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That looks a heckuva lot more like ivory than anything else, I'm sorry to say. Tons of those ivory roses were made in the 60s and mounted to costume findings.

7. Michelle Collins

8. Michelle Collins

Yes please share.

9. Michelle Collins

Maybe they were trying to pass off celluloid as ivory. Isn't that why they made celluloid initially? Maybe they were trying to sell fakes?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’m no expert but it was highly recommended by the ladies on the FB restore vintage jewellery page. I’ve only used it for Rhinestones etc but it hasn’t let me down yet. Maybe it’s not suitable for some applications?
    Fake pictures below.
    5AA85153-5FA2-416C-AB30-03EE874C9D6B.png

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  11. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Celluloid was a solution to a supply and demand problem. Companies didn't have enough ivory to meet market demands and wanted a substitute -- not to intentionally deceive, just to sell more product!

I think most celluloid production ended before the 1960s. It was so dangerous to make (factories were always burning down and such) and new plastics were safer.

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I've had few pieces of so called "French Ivory", which I believe is a type of celluloid, but the lines are both very distinct and very regular.

z.jpg

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

These days it's the other way around; there's no problem selling celluloid, but traffic in ivory of any sort is nothing but a headache..and that's if you have documentation. Celluloid came about because they needed something to use in place of ivory, in quantity. It turned out to cause real problems in some applications, so bakelite came along later.

judy, Michelle Collins and Jivvy like this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

Very flammable product.

I too was thinking that they had to have slowed or stopped production by the 60s.

Seems to me I remember reading something about celluloid toys in the 1930s igniting and children getting burned. Which halted celluloid toy production. Again old memory, so don't quote me on this.

judy likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looked more carved and had parallel ivory lines. That one looks molded rather than carved to me.

Bronwen, judy and kyratango like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

This does not look like carved ivory at all, with that sheen and those bumps. It looks like molded and carved plastic, in this case celluloid:
    upload_2019-6-7_11-8-28.jpeg

It would have been molded, with some details carved, hence the term hand carved celluloid.

The back has those parallel faux ivory lines with one of the colours looking almost translucent (which it isn't). That 'translucent' look is never seen on real ivory, but is typical for faux. It is the same on my doll's hair set and on mos' handle, both celluloid.

2019-06-05-14-46-37-060.jpg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In real ivory those lines look more 'solid', for lack of a better word, and no plastic sheen:
    DSC08485 (640x427).jpg
    DSC00059 (640x427).jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted