Featured Finally posting estate jewelry treasures

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

These were all from the $2 table.

bday.jpg

I mostly know everything here so not really asking questions per say. I just promised to post that estate sale group, finally getting around to it.

2 Cinnabar pins, one kind of tarnished (maybe should have passed on the damaged one, but was in a hurry) Modern jade or jade-like necklace, Bakelite pin, some dead stones but couldn't leave it at $2., two Murano glass necklaces (opera length one missing one bead), small carnelian brooch w/1900's clasp, probably sterling, unsigned Rebajes earrings, glass cameo (thinking newer, but glass is really faceted and nice) unsigned bug pin and bar pin --bar pin maybe Goldette or Florenza. Unusual Kenneth Jay Lane pin, bizarre bullet like necklace, and hearts/spades etc necklace.

Going to start separate posts on those last three.

Enjoy!

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The cameo is post-WWII.

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

All lovely, Lucille!

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Thanks. Was thinking it was not old, but still interesting. I don't think the setting is sterling.

Since I have the cameo-expert's eyes :cool: here are some close-up photos --comments on the cameo welcome. Was pretty sure newer as in maybe 1960's or 70's?? It isn't total junk like some newer ones you see, the glass is quite nicely faceted, but I realize value may still be minimal. I guess I would call reverse carved?

cam2.jpg cam2b.jpg cam3.jpg bday2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  5. Bronwen

The design originated in W. Germany, hence the post-WWII dating, but as far as I know, she is still being made today. German origin for the cameo does not indicate German manufacture for the brooch; they seem to have been exported by the boat load & been used by makers of costume jewellery both signed & un-.

Setting looks like silver, possibly 800 if made in Germany. Is that a mark on the back right above your thumb? "Reverse carved' & 'faceted' are the right terms to describe her. Think she could be a bit earlier than you're thinking, 50s perhaps.

6. Lucille.b

Thank you, Bronwen.

You know, maybe is silver after all. The setting is pretty nicely done, what one would expect in silver. The back had this odd patina, almost a "burnished" look on it and when I polished it with a Sunshine cloth nothing seemed to happen so was thinking was a different metal. But just went back with a bit more effort and it started to shine up.

No markings whatsoever on this one. That section by my thumb is a very slight dent to the back of the metal.

It is an impressive piece in the hand. I had a friend over who likes older jewelry and out of the entire box it was the first piece she was drawn to. Thanks for the keywords.

7. Bronwen

You are always welcome. Costume ('fashion'), no doubt, but appears to be very well made & in excellent condition. The edges could so easily chip. Don't let her knock around with her fellow finds. :happy:

Christmasjoy, Lucille.b and judy like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if the bullet thing opens. It could be a writing instrument of some sort.

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the bullet looks like an old thermometer case...

10. Lucille.b

It does open. Off to make a separate post on the bullet thing...

komokwa and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice stuff. Thanks for sharing.

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I like these, especially the carnelian pin, bug pin, and bar pin near that. Thanks for sharing!

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted