Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Yes. I think I have one or two additional pieces of Peony in my collection.

Bakersgma likes this.
  2. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

@Marko - She's usually simply described as "the Sea-Nymph." The original title of the Pierre Dupuis sketches and painting is "La Vague" - "The Wave." She certainly does seem the allegory of Esther Williams Venus, doesn't she?

Jivvy, Christmasjoy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  3. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

nude genie.jpg Somebody already wants to buy her (not from here.) Good flea market find. She came with an adjustable sterling chain and the box. What I saw in this is that she was maybe a genie coming out of a lamp and the swirls were smoke.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

So nice everyone. So many joolies here, I love to see the sparkle.

Christmasjoy, BMRT, Marko and 2 others like this.
  5. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

I’m finding it harder to get out, my new job has kicked into gear and the 4 am show times and 10 hour work shifts are eating at me. By the time I pop away I’m emotionally fried. However! Here are the items I managed to find both from thrifting and an estate sale. 806DE0E4-679A-4A67-BBE0-F07C2329A2FB.jpeg This Tiffany Delft mug made for Tiffany & Co.

C0D7A08A-4A10-4E19-9D05-EDE642CC3460.jpeg Should make for a very interesting read. I like to read and then release books back into the wild. :happy:

39804570-534B-4311-89ED-9195024707FA.jpeg This egg with another egg inside of it. Enamel of some kind over metal.

FED0F210-BE4E-42F3-AC08-F80F16A29610.jpeg Another enamel egg, plique-a-jour this time. The estate had beautiful examples everywhere of plique-a-jour bells, plates, jars, etc. Nobody was interested during first day and these got re-priced at a couple of dollars each and half off according to the woman running the sale.

AF569382-CC59-4BD1-AE7B-63F4AA8BA887.jpeg Here is a jar of same technique.

2A332056-E6AB-4FBF-BD96-6679A4D25214.jpeg Italian frame, sterling.

78EA4C29-DF39-44E1-BDE0-3D7CBE785F5D.jpeg Three necklaces, identically made with 14k clasps. The purple bits are amethysts I believe. These I was surprised to find priced at $1 each.

C5EE6C25-175B-42E4-A391-088FBE896A75.jpeg Same story here. Sold cheaply as plastic, definitely not plastic.

FDB18D62-EB80-4C41-BC41-4CDB9B218801.jpeg I wish I could have taken more time to look in the basket that held all the jewelry. Everything was priced so cheap, but my daughters had been with me and their patience ran out. Here are some earrings which I will find pretty hooks for, a necklace marked sterling on the clasp but the back of the crystals is mounted in what looks like brass, an amethyst & diamond ring marked KOREA and with two tiny stamps I can’t make out and finally this metal brooch shaped like a hand with pink rhinestone.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

@Marko . It's hobbitses. As I said, not old: it's a replica of the brooch given by Galadriel to the Fellowship of the Ring. I didn't buy one, thought them overpriced,but I'm very happy to pay pennies for one!

Tolkien geek, me.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

BMRT....not so wasted that your eyesight was poor !!
    Nice finds..........the book is a hoot !!

8. BMRT

:joyful::joyful::joyful:

The husband asked me when I returned what I plan to do with my hoarding of pretties. I told him one day I’ll drink too many Tom Collins and he shouldn’t be surprised to find me rolling around in heaps of it in the bathtub. I am Smaug.

9. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Bear, I know nothing about The Lord of the Rings, but thanks for telling me! BMRT, next time just say "How much for all of it?" I am seeing ivory beads on the rose necklace.

10. BMRT

I should have. My brain doesn’t fire right sometimes and it never crossed my mind to ask if they would sell the entire thing. It was a large hamper just stuffed with little sacks of things.

11. colonelmustard

colonelmustard Well-Known Member

20191117_21373412.jpg All the jewelry that is posted on this thread is so beautiful. I'm in awe. I don't have anything pretty to share, but I did get this pretty awesome old bullet mold. I haven't started researching it yet but I know it isn't civil-war-old. Conical but smooth bullets. The pair weighs about 7 pounds.

12. komokwa

upload_2019-11-17_22-7-59.jpeg

I've seen the Burnside 45 .....but never a bullet that looks like that...:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Ummm, that looks like a torpedo-shape suppository mold to me...

~Cheryl

Aquitaine, Jivvy, Bakersgma and 4 others like this.
  14. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

15. komokwa

16. komokwa

but asking $225.........yours may be a score !

colonelmustard likes this.
  17. colonelmustard

Oh my gosh...this thing is built like a tank. Suppository mold would not have even crossed my mind! $225? Well, I might have to sell this thing then because I paid a couple of bucks for it. AND it is less cool to me now that I know what it is. :eek: Ouch is right. Thanks for the identification.

18. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Personally, would question that firm 'Civil War era' dating (this online museum info would suggest post-war introduction of brass molds: http://obgynmedicalantiques.com/apo...-1/early-hand-pressed-brass-suppository-mould), I know these were made well into the 20th century, in fact, fairly similar brass molds are still in production. Here is one very similar on eBay/UK, dated as 1901-50 and as coming from Romania: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123748390797 and this one on 1st Dibs is described as 1950s Italian: https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/d...ss-suppository-mold-made-italy/id-f_15134431/

Medical antiques/collectibles can sell quite well, but should keep in mind that all the links given show 'asking' prices that I'd suspect are a bit optimisic - you'd want to look for 'sold' prices...

~Cheryl

19. colonelmustard

Thank you for the links. I saw a few on Worthpoint that sold for far less but that is okay. It is great just knowing for sure what it was. I actually enjoy finding and reading up on medical collectibles. I had an old set of stereoviews for diseases and treatment and I have to say after looking at those...I was awfully glad to not have lived with an illness back then. You are a non sleeper as well I see. :) Thanks again

20. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

OMG! I thought it looked familiar, I would have nabbed it also. Though I would rather have the pendant Arwen wore and gave to Aragorn :)

shallow_ocean_spectre likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted