Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thanks, Kyra. There is a problem with it, pretty significant, the onyx is cracked. But appears to be set in gold. I haven't tested it yet, but that is my guess as well. It is on a non-gold chain, maybe that is why it was missed. Was surprised as heck to get this even with the crack.

aab1.jpg aab2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

A beauty!!! You're right, surely the non gold chain is the reason it was dismissed:joyful:
    Perhaps a cheap windshield resin repair could mend it? I saw some Chinese stuff on WISH ;)

Bronwen, bobsyouruncle and komokwa like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks like the ring could be alexandrite.

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Brad, I wonder if it is! At first was thinking the stone was blue, then was surprised when I got in better light that it was green. I just walked around in different light, whatever is going on is pretty subtle sort of blue/green to green --or maybe just lower light makes it look more blue? Not sure.

Does that sound like Alexandrite?

Bronwen, bobsyouruncle and kyratango like this.
  5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Alexandrite turns blue to purple red depending on natural or electric light (don't remember which is which!:facepalm:)

Lucille.b, Bronwen and bobsyouruncle like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I've bought a couply of these lately, and now I can say I have some Meissen.
    zh.jpg

The largest is just over 3" across and the back reads "Friends of ceramic money and medallions 2011"
    zi.jpg

The other three commemorate Johann Böttger, who first formulated hard paste porcelain in Europe, one from 1935, the second with no date, and the third from 1982.

zj.jpg

zc.jpg

ze.jpg

I think, but don't know for certain, that these are all Böttgerware, an extremely hard chocolate brown material developed before the white paste was introduced in 1710.

During the 1920's and '30s (the period of hyperinflation in Germany) local money was produced beyond federal jurisdiction. This is called notgeld. Most of it is paper, but some companies, Meissen among them, produced ceramic coins. I don't think any of these qualify as notgeld, but I'm guessing that was the impetus for this sort of thing.

(I haven't identified that coat of arms on the last.)

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sure looks like the brown ceramic. They used to just polish it and not bother with a glaze. (she says, sounding like she knows what she's talking about... ) I've always wanted to handle a piece of Bottgerware, but it never turns up in my part of the US.

I'd be wondering if that ring wasn't tourmaline or even a green sapphire; those exist, but they don't turn up much.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd be wondering if that ring wasn't tourmaline or even a green sapphire; those exist, but they don't turn up much.

t'was what i was thinking..

Bronwen, bobsyouruncle and Lucille.b like this.
  10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Lucille, check a D&E verification site for that pink rhinestone pin :)

Bronwen, bobsyouruncle and Lucille.b like this.
  11. evelyb30

I was wondering, but also thinking Czech or Austrian. That cross was a steal, btw.

Bronwen, bobsyouruncle and kyratango like this.
  12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Not antique by any means, but I was paid to take this away in the latest house clearance.

E Rider, electric rechargeable bike
    15mph max, 24 miles distance, £2k new :D

20191129_140504.jpg
    20191129_140511.jpg

13. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: Wonderful for you but I do not understand the mind set of people like this & probably never will. :p:p:p

Aquitaine, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  14. daveydempsey

Relatives were from london, they had no way of getting it back there so I came to their rescue :hilarious::hilarious:

15. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

That was so sweet of you to put yourself out like that Davey. ;) :rolleyes::rolleyes: :p:p

Have you got it sold yet? :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

16. daveydempsey

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I was going to keep it but I have a real bike to get exercise so I just listed it.

17. evelyb30

That'll move out of your driveway pretty quickly. :kiss::kiss::kiss: Merry Christmas whoever buys it, and happy Christmas Davey too most likely!

Aquitaine, Bronwen, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

One for @Bronwen and @Any Jewelry

I was bad for jools today. Grabbed this, I feel a tad guilty as the seller is lovely, but I don't think she'd spotted it's 18 ct. So, I offered her ten quid which she bit my hand off for, 'cos I think she thought it was decent costume. But hey, I did buy a LOT from her!

K32B.jpg K32E.jpg K32D.jpg K32A.jpg K32C.jpg

19. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Gorgeous mount. Cameo now in it almost certainly a replacement. Start looking for another one. This one doesn't deserve such lavish housing.

Had to debate with myself recently & came down on the side of not to tell when someone told me she had finally bought her first Saulini cameo. Actually, not long ago, I bought my first, from her. She got caught up with scratches on the back & somehow overlooked the clearly engraved signature on the front. I wasn't the only bidder who recognized it, so she did OK, especially since she has a talent for finding very desirable pieces for next to nothing. Discretion is the better part...

BMRT, Aquitaine, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Reminds me of ginkgo leaves.

Draft saved Draft deleted