Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Mater Dolorosa. She turns up in both natural shell, like this one, & some very convincingly colored resin.

Looks to me as though it was always a pseudo-penannular.

No.

Green in sunlight; red in firelight or incandescent light.

If not glass, my vote would be tourmaline. Color is quite consistent with that mineral.

kyratango likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It does look like gingko.

The frame is quite modern: import marks for 1995, Birmingham. Maybe the importer had dodgy taste in cameos. ;)

3. Bronwen

You surprise me! But yes, fully marked. Whoever H.S. are, they do nice work. They just have crummy taste in cameos or thought to improve their profit margin by stinting on expense of a better one. It's one of those cases that leaves me shaking my head & wondering why? Still think mount deserves a better occupant.

Aquitaine, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

I shall have to hunt the Hoard. ;)

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Bronwen

@BMRT
    Mary resin C front.jpg

This one is resin.

BMRT and kyratango like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

You were being a good person......& honest......BUT...the damn marks are all over that puppy....& I'll bet it has good weight to it....so if she couldn't figure out that it was real gold......that's on her !!!
    Snap it up with a smile.....& smirk on your way out the door !!!!

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd have seen those marks too; maybe she can't see up close with her glasses off? Or on? (LOL) That gorgeous case really does deserve a nicer occupant; she's rather Ugly 80s!

Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

The gap at the top & the way those 2 prongs look like they might have been bent are what made me think a replacement:

upload_2019-11-30_16-19-12.png

9. Ownedbybear

Hm. That's a good spot, I'll take another look.

I don't think she knew import marks. ;)

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Nice, Bear. I know what you mean about feeling guilty. I just mark it down to karma is rewarding me for something somehow. I am sure what we see from various dealers and vendors is just the tip of the iceberg. Maybe the original cameo was a habille and had a diamond or two.

11. Bronwen

They turn up with holes where the diamonds used to be. But usually no longer in their gold mount.

12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Popped into a local thrift for a quick look around and picked up an unusual assortment:
    (Harry) Bird pottery for Vernon Kilns Olinala-Aztec creamer and sugar in the green colorway, from the 1930s. The same set is pictured in a 1937 ad. (This pattern is pretty hard to find. If anyone has access to some sold prices, I'd appreciate the info!)
    Older Royal Doulton “Biddy Pennyfarthing” figurine, to be a Christmas gift for my mother this year. She has several of the pretty lady figurines plus the male and female balloon sellers. I thought this might be a nice addition to them.
    An alpaca pin marked Peru 925 and what looks like a capital letter H inside a C or an incompletely stamped circle.
    And, not vintage but the best of the lot for resale profit, a packaged pair of silk dupioni Pottery Barn drapes!

D61F7481-6288-4ECE-A31B-A5A4AD840A13.jpeg 7B320247-8CAA-44EC-9F50-B8F6C00C072F.jpeg birdpottery1.jpg F1AC4BEB-889E-41BC-86FD-76ED2C2EC2DA.jpeg 57F415AE-623C-4D45-99F8-2FFD978AEA61.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW!!! You're a walking, talking, living & breathing, actual Information Booth!!! ONLY BETTER!!!!!! AMAZING!!! AWESOME ORGANIZATION SKILLS!! If you're NOT working, anyone would give their right arm to have you!!!!:singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::):):):):)

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  14. Aquitaine

@Marko I really had trouble envisioning a pig, so I had a go at enlarging more so that I could see it!!!! SURE enough, there's his FAT little body and big fat jowls!!!! With what looks like something hanging out of his mouth, to boot!!!! Beautiful ring!!!!:):):)
    X3ZZZZZZ Ruby RBR ring side up (503x640)-edit.jpg

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

from the rear your alpaca looks like a cat.......hhehe !!
    nice pin !!

bluumz likes this.
  16. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I have been self employed for over 30 years, maybe that's why I am overly organized. Or maybe it's because I can't remember a thing unless it's written down ;)

Aquitaine, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  17. evelyb30

The act of writing it down is what makes me remember something. No clue why.

18. Aquitaine

It ABSOLUTELY helps....me....at least!!!! Helps by transferring it from one 'modality' to another......from just trying to remember what you see, to writing it......repetition!! At least that's how it helps me.....

bluumz likes this.
  19. evelyb30

Reinforcement.

Aquitaine and bluumz like this.
  20. evelyb30

I went out digging last weekend and today. Last Saturday I went to a charity shop's Small Business Saturday sale; everything in the store was 25% off. Bought a mystery oil lamp (to me anyway), a pair of white German porcelain figurines (G with a vertical slash through it) and some no-account beads to take apart.

Went back today and ... bingo. I didn't buy everything, but did grab the sterling and malachite earrings, the Navajo ones (no marks) the Jacqueline Kennedy necklace and the (EEP) Georg Jensen pansy brooch. The face is an Australian company called Bico and the inlay earrings are Lee Sands.

DSCF2884.JPG DSCF2920.JPG DSCF2921.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted