Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have not eaten a canned vegetable since we got our first microwave back in 1978. :p:p :happy::happy:

Our oldest son is a hunter & a fisherman. I will at least try some of the fish he brings up to us, but leave all the deer stuff to the DH & younger son. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That is one of the things I love most about this forum. No one says a word when our topics take a sharp right turn & wander around for awhile. :D:D:D:D

johnnycb09, komokwa, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Just in case anyone has a hankering to try snapping turtle eggs - don't bother!

I was a true "daddy's girl" as a kid. My father brought home some turtle eggs one day and we decided to hard boil them (my mother & brother declined to join in the fun). Well, turtle eggs float like ping-pong balls but we stood at the stove holding them down in the boiling water with a wooden spoon. When we decided they were cooked we had to open the shells with scissors (they are very rubbery). Added some salt & pepper and took a bite. . .closest comparison I can think of is: hot sand with salt & pepper added. :vomit:

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  3. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

When my dad laid down the law and required me to eat my spoonful of peas, I swallowed them one at a time like pills. Dad's face was red. We did that a few more times, till I was one again excused from eating peas.

komokwa and bercrystal like this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

The DH tells the story of his younger brother who did not want to eat his green beans. Their Father told him he was going to sit there till he ate them. So Jerry did what he was told & then promptly threw up into the plate. :vomit::vomit::vomit:

I do believe that is why the DH has never pushed people to eat what they didn't like either. ;):p:p:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

komokwa, SBSVC and kyratango like this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

My Father pulled the "you'll sit there until you eat them" on me when I was about 10 and wouldn't eat those horrible canned peas. I sat there for over an hour. I tried adding salt thinking that would help. When my father came back there was more salt that peas in the bowl! At that point he made me go to bed, better than eating canned peas :wideyed:

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I went out today for gas and to see what I could see, and what did I see but an open antique store. Spent $10 on three pieces of jewelry. One is just some stone beads (early 80s rose quartz, aventurine and blue lace agate - dirt common but pretty), a belt buckle with no marks but tests like sterling, and an Astri Horthe pewter cross! Possibly the best find is this website on Norwegian pewter marks:
    https://macacke.com/norsktinn/marks/start.html

7. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

My children were usually very happy with what I cooked for them .. until I decided to use a load of leftovers and call it "potato surprise" .. it consisted of cubed spuds, cabbage, onion, carrots, sausage meat, walnuts, and several spices. It smelled good but they HATED it .. I tried it myself and tossed the whole lot in a plastic sack and said "Okay .. get your jackets on.. we're going to McDees" and off we went. My kids still remember the 'Potato Surprise' ... :):):):) ... Joy.

8. evelyb30

I think the walnuts killed it. The rest might not have been bad, especially as a soup. The cabbage and the walnuts fought each other and Mickey Ds won.

Christmasjoy and bluumz like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I eat almost anything. That has included live clams and jellyfish.

Peanut butter is the work of the devil.

10. evelyb30

Peanut Butter Co. brand peanut butters.... NOM! They make a maple sweetened one I can eat by the spoon. The honey is delicious too, and the hot versions make a great base for any dinner with a peanut-based sauce. (Thai stuff generally)
    https://ilovepeanutbutter.com/

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Like many kids, I never liked organ meats or lima beans (AKA little pillows of wet dust). Still don't.
    The oddest thing we'd occasionally have at the family dinner table that my siblings and I refused to eat: pig's feet jelly. Yep, trotters in aspic, kinda like a Jell-O mold. I remember all four of us sitting at the table for over an hour after our parents were done... til mom came back in the kitchen and snapped, "Oh, all right then, leave it!" (No handy dog in our family until many years later.)

Aquitaine, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

My best find of the year so far.......... a Golf Course !!!!!

So....treated myself to Mc D's.....afterwards....
    NO Angus beef......covid 19 shut down a major beef producer ....:wacky:

13. Christmasjoy

When we were still in England my father would boil those pigs trotters and keep them in the fridge in a huge bowl until they were cold and the water around them had jelled ... we were then expected to EAT them . I couldn't stand the sight of the things and after turning pale and sickly he relented and let me eat the remaining food on my plate. Unfortunately my older sister LOVED the trotters and would make disgusting noises slurping and drooling as she lapped it all up ... she did it on purpose of course just to annoy me and it wasn't long before I raced to the bathroom gagging as the rest of the family lapped up juices and skin from those ghastly things .. it sounded worse than a pack of animals feasting on their kill, NO pigs feet for my chidren, I cooked NICE things,.... :):):) .... Joy.

14. evelyb30

I MIGHT be able to eat those. Might. They're classic Southern food here in the USA, especially pickled. There's a classic old blues tune "Gimme a Pigfoot (and a bottle of beer)" made famous by Bessie Smith. The boiled ones sound... disgusting about covers it.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

We have food. Why would one choose to eat trash?

stracci and bercrystal like this.
  16. Christmasjoy

If they're eatable they are food I guess .. also they were very inexpensive back then and we were a family of five kids and were still on ration books due to the war. I think it's fine for people to eat anything they choose .. to each his own I say. I have never cared for meat of ANY kind and don't eat it other than 'Grimms slender smoked sausages' which I do like :):) ... Joy.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  17. evelyb30

I made spaghetti tonight with a hacked together smoked salmon cheese sauce. Mom liked it.(LOL) Since smoked salmon and cheese are two of G-d's gifts to man, so did I. (and for the Jewish contingent, it's even Kosher if the salmon is certified.)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  18. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Salmon spaghetti is sacrilege in any culture

johnnycb09 likes this.
  19. evelyb30

I was originally thinking smoked salmon mac and cheese, but ...nahhh.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

How about some deep fried mice and mushroom and slug pasta?

F1D5Q02GP7ISCF1.MEDIUM.jpg misselsies 012a.jpg

johnnycb09 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted