Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg A superior day in my art collecting. There was an ad on the internet stating an art sale which was about 5 minutes from where I live. The sale was starting at 8 am and I was still in bed, it was 7:30. The wife and I got up and got ready to go to the sale. The couple who was hosting it, the wife was the daughter of the artist. She told me that her dad, Jeffery Day of SC , had done all these pieces. There were a lot of other limited edition prints from other artist that her dad knew. I grabbed the original paintings. She was moving in a few months, her husband is in the military. They couldn't haul all of these paintings and prints, so they were selling them cheap. I grabbed the original paintings.

I grabbed 6 paintings for $110. The first one with the bird over the lake, 24x39.

Second, titled " Sullivan Island Light" 26x20.

Third, Crane Over Marsh, 16x30.

Fourth, Leaf Drifting in Water" 14x18.

Fifth, Face Of A Crane, 16x13.

Sixth, Barn in Pasture, 20x26.

The artist has many of his works in private collections and in corporate buildings. He's pretty much a local artist of South Carolina. He has no formal art education. Jeffery studied underneath internationally know artist, Milton Lenoir. Jeffery's work was observed by wildlife artist, Danny Discroll and encouraged Jeffery to start painting professionally. I think his art shows his unique talent for not having such an education. I did get another painting of Lilly Pads that his daughter attributed to her dad, as it's an unfinished piece.

Overall, I think this was a GREAT day for my collection.

Total value of these paintings are well in excess of $6k.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    spirit-of-shiloh and Messilane like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Set of six, all somewhat different. Marked with the Meissen crossed swords and painted by hand. The only question is now what to do with them!

[​IMG]

FunkeysFinds and kentworld like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

They'd make a nice X-mas gift for someone you love !!

4. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Haven't been out much this past week, but still found some stuff to bring home ...

The yet unidentified purple wine glasses, silver-plated creamer with logo (maybe from a cruise line or private club?), pressed glass eye wash cup, old tiles ... all but the blue and white terracotta are marked Mintons china works (the mosaic pattern has 1891 registry marks) ... plus some jewelry
    P1070676(1).JPG
    Metal Arts Group earrings and orchid pin marked 18K (seems the thrift shop doesn't own a loupe)
    P1070677(1).JPG

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

NICE HAUL !

6. komokwa

The Northwest Coast Indian eagle earrings are castings....not native made.
    If marked sterling there's a $ 35 value there but not much more.

7. komokwa

for some unknown reason i like the eye wash cup....i have 2 of em.

8. quirkygirl

You are correct, Komokwa, these are factory made ... not hand cut overlay work. These sterling "shaman" earrings have the designers name on the back and are still currently offered by the Metal Arts Group (for a whopping $105 !! :eek: ) Even though they are production pieces, they are nice quality from a company that actually stands behind their pieces.

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I wish my thrift store didn't own a loupe...:angelic:

cxgirl and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  10. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Love the orchad pin. :cat:

11. komokwa

MAG sterling items are overpriced from the get go.
    For $100 you can get a decent pair of authentic native made silver earrings.

kentworld likes this.
  12. Armando0831

image.jpg This was a gift I got my wife last Christmas. I got it at the Goodwill. There were three other people hovering over me, just waiting to jump on it. I was contemplating on buy it. It was already half off and I could get another half off if I took it out of the store that day. I was driving my Explorer. I decided to get it, it barely fit in my SUV. I paid $20 for this. On the back of it, it's stamped West Bay Street Savannah, GA. West Bay Street is an execellent place to find antiques. As you can see, I got it for my wife so she can place her doll collection in it.

Figtree3 and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those Minton tiles sell very well here. The blue ones look Spanish or Portuguese and much more modern - thinner, yes? Terracotta?

14. quirkygirl

I agree with you

15. quirkygirl

Yes, Bear - they are newer, thinner, smaller (about 4"), and terracotta. I'm hoping that they (the blue and white ones) plus some solid color ones will find their way onto an antique wrought iron table base that I purchased at auction - originally with beautiful, but badly damaged, hand painted tiles depicting landscapes, farming scenes and crests on top.

The Mintons may be sold ... I haven't decided yet.

16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That's a nice-looking doll collection your wife has, Armando! My mother has been collecting dolls for many years (although has cut back a lot on buying them, and now prefers just getting more clothes for them). She has two or three cabinets full of them, and has more that won't fit. So your photo reminded me of my mother.

Armando0831 likes this.
  17. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

And mine ! Lol ! The sad part is I only have 2 nieces,and they want nothing to do with them .

Armando0831 likes this.
  18. Armando0831

My wife has more dolls but they are on the non expensive side. I got her a doll this Christmas, I'll post a pic of it in a couple of days. She's slowed down too on collecting them.

19. Armando0831

[​IMG][​IMG]On my trip to Oklahoma for Thanksgiving, I also picked up this nice watercolour/gouache painting by Roy Nolen who is a noted artist in Missouri. He recently passed away. Below is a story about Roy from the Watercolor Honor Society.

Roy H. Nolen, from Kimberling City, MO, passed away this year at the age of 83. His painting “Tuscany Studio,” became a part of the permanent collection of the Springfield Art Museum and was also displayed as part of an exhibit featuring the purchases of the Friends of the Springfield Art Museum, (FOSAM) in 2013. Another of his paintings, “Thai Dye” was included in Watercolor U.S.A. 2009.

Roy originally from Chicago, IL, worked and lived in the Kimberling City area since 1989. He was an artist who painted landscapes and architectural images primarily with watercolor and gouache. He studied at the American Academy of Art in Chicago and studied watercolor with Irving Shapiro, Arthur Barbour and Don Stone. He was also active in and had many friends at the Table Rock Art Guild in Southwest Missouri. His wife Lynn informed me that he was a man of many talents. In addition to being a dedicated painter, he was also musically talented and studied and played the piano.

Roy’s work can also be viewed on the WHS, Watercolor Honor Society, website in the member gallery.

mymysharona43 likes this.
  20. Snipsa

Snipsa Active Member

468067_140118215715_058.JPG 468067_140118215846_059.JPG 468067_140118220324_055.JPG 468067_140118220715_054.JPG 468067_140118220901_053.JPG 468067_140118221136_052.JPG 468067_140118221400_057.JPG 468067_140223142410_057.JPG 468067_140223142526_058.JPG 468067_140223142608_059.JPG

Does anybody know something about Lion's Club International medals and pins.

I bought a rather large lot of items from a local online auction site. Don't yet have the items, but will post the pictures as they were put on the listing.

From what I was able to ascertain it seems the small pendants/medals are 1/5 gold filled (10K). But I'm very interested in the large medal - past president. Haven't found one that looks like that one online yet in my searches. Does anybody have any info on that medal. Is it Goldfilled, goldplated or just "faux" gold?

If anybody sees any pins or other items that is rare or sought after please let me know. I'm thinking once I have the items, I'll do a bit more research but will probably keep the pendants/medals and put the rest of the items up for auction on an international site, as a lot, if there isn't anything else worth keeping...

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted