Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:arghh: that is awful
    R.I.P. Winnie

popsycat and lloyd249 like this.
  2. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Lloyd..sorry for your loss.....

kyratango, John Brassey and lloyd249 like this.
  3. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

thanks everyone , it was a devastating blow .he came here just about everyday to visit since he moved in . We were even having a yard decorating competition lol, but now his is all torn down and she is moving .

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  4. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your friend, R.I.P Winnie.

Spotted this today on the Marketplace and have to share, I just think its so lovely although out of my price range. This is the only picture, 15cm, bronze vessel with a dragon.

IMG_9209[1].JPG

KSW, lloyd249, anundverkaufen and 2 others like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What "Marketplace" are you browsing, RachelW?

lloyd249 likes this.
  6. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Just my local facebook marketplace. Why, am I being oblivious again? :hilarious:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    KSW, lloyd249 and anundverkaufen like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Spotted a Victorian signed ivory portrait cameo in an auction listing for a cameo lot. Everything else is junk, or close to. Price good at the moment but 1 other bidder. Wish me luck in 4 days.

Lucille.b, KSW, lovewrens and 8 others like this.
  8. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Lloyd, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Take comfort in the happy memories.

Lucille.b, KSW and lloyd249 like this.
  9. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Good luck!

Lucille.b, KSW, popsycat and 2 others like this.
  10. Bronwen

Thank you, ma'am. Since seller didn't notice it, there is no photo that shows the signature well. I made a guess from the fragments I can see & found there was a French gem engraver with that name working in the right time period. Fingers crossed. :)

KSW, Marko, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

here too...g'luck

Bronwen and lloyd249 like this.
  12. Bronwen

Thank you, kind sir. Just have to hope that the other bidder doesn't think the one with a romantic scene is real & drive the price up. If I win I'm going to ask the seller not to send the rest of the pieces. They're just a disposal problem for me. I have enough of those.

kyratango, bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Hear hear ... or here here. I've got the same problem with most thrifts closed. I could donate them to the Sally but wouldn't give Ill Will any jools right now. (Those guys locally at least are sending all the jewelry on line and jacking their high prices up even higher.)

That said... I found a tag sale this morning. A former dealer who has/had two a year is moving in with her son. Her prices are usually retail or close to it, but I managed to spend $30. It started at 7AM and I knew I'd never make it. Dumb body woke me up at 06:45 and I think I got there around 8. Spent $30 on a pair of Israeli bronze candle sticks (no marks), a copper bracelet (probably straight into my hoard), a loose bead of no renown (to avoid needing change) and the goofiest sterling and agate pin I've ever seen. I'm not sure I can list it with a straight face. The little kid picture is acrylic with what looks like a sharpie signature. The framer's mark on the back has the old style word and number phone and the address is in the Diamond District. I doubt it's anthing good, but it was a $5 rescue at the ReStore.
    DSCF4496.JPG DSCF4508.JPG

14. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I've recovered too many things from 5 clearances in 5 weeks and not enough time to photograph them and post here.

However just finishing off the 5th clearance today and I found these in a
    bureau.
    About 100 1933 Nazi Party propaganda cigarette cards from 3 seperate German cigarette brands, Constantin(Dresden) Josetti(Berlin) & Salem(Dresden)

They are all the same state run design except for the company logo and the company name

I've seen on some card forums that all 3 together are quite scarce and only the odd ones have sold in the past.

The most I've seen are stored in the Holocaust Museum and probably rightly so.

Front & back

upload_2020-7-16_23-45-47.jpeg

There are even some of Der Fuhrer himself.

Who the heck poses for a photo showing their wrists like that :hilarious:

upload_2020-7-16_23-48-11.jpeg

Lucille.b, kentworld, cxgirl and 8 others like this.
  15. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Wow Davey. What a find.

Lucille.b, lloyd249 and daveydempsey like this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I've never seen those. Didn't even know they existed. Thanks for the show-and-tell.

Debora

Lucille.b, lloyd249 and daveydempsey like this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My only question is: do you think there's a market? I couldn't sell those, and would probably give them away to get them out of my hair if necessary.

Joe2007, lloyd249 and Christmasjoy like this.
  18. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

There is a big market for Nazi memorabillia, but if it has swastikas then not on ebay so much, coins and stamps and documents are ok but they won't allow medals with that sign.

Researching these cards I found most sales were in the US on Military trading / auction sites.

19. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Interesing find davey. A while ago I was looking at a pile of cutlery on a young persons stall. I picked out a fork and spoon because I thought the design looked very Scandinavian modern and I was wondering the maker. When I picked them up I thought they felt lovely quality. When I turned them over to look at the maker I was so suprised. On the back T.W.S. 41 and an eagle above a swastika in a circle. We found they should be with a knife and clip together. I suppose you could give the German soldiers good quality cutlery when you had plenty of slave labour.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    cxgirl, komokwa and daveydempsey like this.
  20. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Finally found a few goodies...

Cloisonné bangles, a Regency butterfly pin, a pair of dress clips and an enameled gilt silver flower pin by Aksel Holmsen of Norway:

BnglsRgncyBflyDrClpsScandEnml.jpg

A broken glass bead necklace I will restring:

VintageGreenBeads.jpg

Lucille.b, Bronwen, Marko and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted