Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I found a reference to a painting by a Litch & Bailey that was once on eBay, but not anymore. The funny part about it I can't find it on ebay using "Advance search" options like Completed, Sold, etc... Following is Google link showing it associated with eBay

https://www.google.com/search?q="QUEEN+MARYII+BATH+HOUSE+ON+OCEAN"&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Here it is in Google images.
    https://www.google.com/search?q="QU...CQAw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1143&bih=658&dpr=0.9

If it didn't have the blue water around it, I would have called it an outhouse rather than a bath house. It certainly doesn't look up to the quality of the painting you have.

--- Susan

2. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you found that. I forgot that I ran across that same listing back when it was on eBay. I contacted the seller and asked if they knew anything about the artist but they didn't. I told them I had one and that it was sold at an art show. I guess they must of removed it.

Just a question, would this be considered decoration painting? I think it wouldn't if it was in an art emporium that sold destinguished artist works.

3. Armando0831

I've been doing a little searching for Joy Rubins art emporium. I found that Joy A Rubin was the president of the company. She has a son by the name of Howard Rubin. I found a Joy A Rubin and a Howard Rubin living in the same town in FL. I called Joy A Rubin and left a message. I'm hoping that's she's the one and can identify the artist on my painting.

4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Everyone is finding such neat stuff!
    I love that painting Armand0831!
    I picked up these 2 pottery liquor bottles, some silverware from the Royal Canadian Navy and this little pin. Forgot I had this painting - framed in Aurora Il, has a repair on it.
    DSC00516.jpg DSC00520.jpg DSC00527.jpg DSC00471.jpg

5. Armando0831

Just so everyone knows, you can call me Joe. That's a lot shorter than Armando0831.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Here’s a piece I found at a thrift. I’ve had it for years. Of course, I think its old, but I don’t have a lick of proof. This elephant stands 6 ¾” high and has a maximum length of 9” (trunk to back foot). Heavy white porcelain, weighs about 3 ½” lbs. I think it’s very well modeled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gregsglass and mymysharona43 like this.
  7. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Chinese lacquered box inlaid with gold, silver and mother-of-pearl.

(image taken with a new camera and studio setup (minus the overhead boom light) we just purchased, trying to workout the bugs and make adjustments.)
    LACQUER BOX 005-001.JPG

8. Armando0831

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I passed this oil painting up at the Goodwill but I looked at the artist when I got back into my car. I quickly went back in and grabbed it. It's a beautiful painting from an artist C. Benolt. It's roughly 20x 30, plus or minus. I've done some research but I'm coming up with others trying to find more information about the artist. Some people say he was an artist in Europe and I've read that it was an artist who did paintings in FL. Supposedly his name is Charles Benolt. Price ranges from $40-$100+. One listing said they had theirs appraised at $6,000-$10,000. These artist needs to be identified

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    mymysharona43 likes this.
  9. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Just thought I would show you all this 2 1/2 pound glass paperweight or bookend. Cannot seem to ID it, so will open another post under Glass...
    GLASS CHICKEN A500.JPG

10. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

You have some nice art Joe
    I like that painting of yours too Cx
    Neat Piece Nuff
    Paintings and art work seem very popular right now
    I recently sold a recent find a Lars Hoftrup Oil painting. It was ugly to me but listed artist. I bought a Norman Kent painting also from the same guy and a wood cut print
    There are no sales worth going to here right now and the thrifts here never have art like Joe has been finding, ever
    I love that snow scene painting

Armando0831 likes this.
  11. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

That elephant is adorable

12. Armando0831

I appreciate the comments on my paintings. I must say that I have been very fortunate in finding some lovely art in the thrifts around here. My wife thinks I have an addiction but I don't believe so. It's crazy to see what kinda collection I'll have when I'm 60 or so. I just love art. Some people have rust in the blood, I have oil.

13. Armando0831

image.jpg I know it's hard to believe but this 3 panel mirror I bought at a thrift. The owner said that someone dropped it off over night and left it by the front door. The owner hadn't priced it yet when I seen it. She gave me a price if $25 so that she didn't have to see it and be tempted to buy it for herself.

14. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Wow Joe (nice to meet you), that mirror is beautiful!

15. Armando0831

Nice to meet you too Happy!! Thank you. I've always seen them in antique stores, drooling over them. I was stoked to find one that cheap!

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I hit an estate sale this morning. I paid out over $70 and got almost 40 back at the scrapper before heading to the grocery store. Goodies the other scrap guy totally missed? Not one but FOUR Warner cats. A rock crystal necklace. A maybe malachite necklace, pearls (look natural but very irregular), a native american coral pin (old), some random bits, and a ring. I wore the ring into the grocery but not out; it fell off somewhere.(sigh) At least it wasn't real...I hope.... Not in the photo is a Japanese wood block and a Mexican silver belt buckle. On the downside, it feels like I found some kind of bug too. Just more sinus crud I hope.
    [​IMG]
    The black earrings are Hawaiian coral.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice fresh water pearls

18. Armando0831

I got to let out a little steam. I was at a store that I shop at regularly and have spent a nice sum on money. The owner, said that he has, and showed, an original watercolor by Myrtle Jones from GA. He couldn't even find it, he had to tear the store apart to find it. Once he did, he said that her works sell for about $1,200. A quick search proved his statement right. He said the consigner was accepting offers. One offer of $275 was denied. This watercolor had foxing on it, very bad. He said he didn't think it was foxing because the paper is acid free. He then stated that the brown dots were "junk" on the inside of the glass. I knew better. Anyways, I told him I wouldn't give more than $600 for it, due to the price of having it repaired. He said he would let the consigner know but wants to take it to an appraiser. I know that's his business and he's there to make money.

19. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Picked up a few goodies yesterday and today.
    Tankard / Mug marked J Lownes (Philadelphia silversmith in business 1780 - 1820, - I love that it's local and old!) ... likely coin silver but I don't know if sterling would have been unmarked - will need to research - there are many wispy word or partial words on the bottom which I cannot make out clearly.
    36" 6mm pearl strand with 14K clasp. Old ornaments for the tree (minus the old finial tree topper that I already put on our little tree) - my favorite is the blue one that needs cleaning ... but I don't know if there's a correct way to do it. Finally, a fern fossil (from PA also) and a fern carved letter holder that I bought a while ago - had to remove the badly broken third hinged piece before we could use it. I have a weakness for all things "ferny".
    P1070750(1).JPG P1070751(1).JPG P1070754(1).JPG P1070753(1).JPG P1070761(1).JPG

20. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Nor sure whether you've seen this page of information on Lownes. It has additional alternate marks that may give you an idea of what some of those "wispy words" might be.

Scroll way down into the display of his wares and you'll see a tankard very much like yours (except that it has a lid.) Note the date of 1810 on the tankard.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~silversmiths/makers/silversmiths/125581.htm

The sterling standard was not much used during that period in the US with the notable exception of Baltimore. More than likely coin silver (unless one of those wispy words says something else.)

quirkygirl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted