Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg I've always been fascinated with older shoes. I got these from a yard sale for free. It was even sweeter when it came with the original box.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

This poor condition Zippo was fifty cents today
    1213 zip.jpg
    Appears to be WWII production years but chromed instead of black crackle

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those shoes are a score - I've seen a fair number of them, but none in the box. Maybe the child outgrew them before he/she could wear them out. I remember my mom having to buy me shoes six weeks after buying a different pair because I'd already outgrown them.

Armando0831 likes this.
  4. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Here are a few Kralik pieces I picked up just recently. (And found time to photograph) Kralik1.JPG Kralik2a.jpg Kralik3a.jpg Kralik5.JPG Kralik6.JPG

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i like the yellow and orange ones..

6. evelyb30

I like anything gaudy.

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Love the orange one!

8. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Oooh desperate - they are all soooo pretty ... but, that orange one mmmmmmm mmmmmm mmmmmm! Love it!

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Finally got around to photographing some things. No great shakes but bargains. All are thrift store finds.

The Salvation Army here continues to bring out Christmas stuff daily. These ornaments are all vintage other than the three real glittery ones in the bag. Both boxes are full. All for less than $5.00.
    stuff1021.jpg

These 6 Temporama glasses were $2.10.
    stuff1022.jpg

1960s Dansk Kobenstyle baking dish for $4.00. Worth looking up if you are not familiar with this stuff.
    stuff1019.jpg
    Ceramic Hen and rooster for $2.00 each. Rooster is Italian. Hen is unmarked and possibly hobby decorated.
    stuff1018.jpg

This hand painted plate is signed but not dated. On a French blank. Bought for 50 cents.
    stuff1017.jpg

Old typewriter stand with drop leaves. The mechanism at the bottom folds the wheels up to allow the legs to make contact and not roll. Bought for $15.00.
    stuff1016.jpg

This pair of hand colored botanical prints (likely bookplates) are dated 1834 and 1836. Bought as framed for $3.00 each.
    stuff1015.jpg

stuff1015a.jpg

10. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

WOW such great finds....love the baroque pearls,the baby shoes,Nuffs apple box, the Xmas ornaments,hen & rooster and other finds too numerous to remember ....:cat::cat::cat:

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  11. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Your pearls could be the WINNER...I see they have tails? I just put on my glasses. I would still get them checked out, I love the rainbow color.

http://www.americanpearl.com/baroquepearls.html

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&safe=active&biw=1024&bih=625&tbm=shop&q= white Baroque Pearls&oq= white Baroque Pearls&gs_l=serp.12...14831.16131.0.17435.8.8.0.0.0.0.118.739.6j2.8.0.chm_loc...0...1c.1.60.serp..7.1.117.xNBDD0naL4w

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    komokwa likes this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I love botanical prints! Brad, do you know who created them, or who published them?

13. verybrad

Fig,
    I was afraid someone would ask that. They went directly to the store so don't have that info. They were by different publishers and I believe one was named Smith. I was able to find similar prints from the same editions on ebay. I'll see if I can find them.

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. verybrad

The second one is by Holden del Smith 1836. I can't seem to find the first one.

15. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

I've been trying to find a pair with the box, but I'm striking out. I've noticed Red Goose is very collectible.

16. evelyb30

They are alas cultured, but the nacre is really thick. Some of the pearls were cut off or didn't close properly and you can see the underlying round bead. They're definitely baroque though, and probably Chinese. The clasp just says "silver".

[​IMG]
    This guy turned up the next day. I thought it was sterling, but ... 18k and diamonds.
    [​IMG]

17. komokwa

Good eye Ev .....really good eye !!!!!

18. komokwa

& don't count out the stones either !!!

19. Figtree3

Thank you, Brad. Sorry if my curiosity caused you some extra work. I have not heard of Holden del Smith. So far all I've found is his prints for sale online. Sort of an unusual name, isn't it?

20. Figtree3

I'm finding that Sir Joseph Paxton's Magazine of Botany, and Register of Flowering Plants may have included plates by two different artists named F. W. Smith and S. Holden. Or so says this listing from Christie's:
    http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...seph-paxtons-magazine-of-5062662-details.aspx

Perhaps your print is from that magazine, Brad? (And maybe both are.) I just did a quick search, no real verification.

Draft saved Draft deleted