Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I asked a dealer once....he said he had too many items to waste time checking them all....
    On one hand....I get it..... but ....REALLY ???

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

On the other paw, if that means he's giving some of the good stuff away I'm not about to argue.(LOL)

popsycat, Bronwen, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I am often delighted that dealers do not do research. ;)

4. evelyb30

I like it even better when they can't read hallmarks. At that estate sale on Friday, one lady got a tea set for $180. The tray was alas plated, as was the hot water samovar, but the teapot and cream jug and another piece had London and Sheffield marks. Estate sale runner had NO clue. Of course the person buying them had no idea what a Sheffield mark was as opposed to Sheffield plate, but... I told her. (LOL) I'm still rubbish at date marks though.

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Some of my finds, such as the cameo ring that is my avatar, are cameos with signatures on them that show in the photos but have been completely overlooked by seller.

6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Few items bought today from CShop. Damascene, enamel on copper and hand painted Russian brooches £1 each but a Harry Potter Slytherin House wool sweater that fits me @ £4.50 (new retail would have been nearly £60).
    C5B68234-437D-4BD9-9215-3D2575B9CD2A.jpeg

7. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

That surprises me, I took you more of a gryffindor type :)

Lovely brooches

cxgirl, Lucille.b, johnnycb09 and 5 others like this.
  8. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Yessssssss, Slytherin is the mean one with Malfoy isn’t it? I Feel like more of a Hufflepuff after lockdown weight gain!

Aquitaine, cxgirl, Lucille.b and 6 others like this.
  9. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Slytherin is more fun. I am loving the bracelets and those lamps and shades!!!

I have been really busy at work, to the point where I am not getting enough sleep and the stress is putting me into afib (I usually only have two episodes a year, but I had two episodes last weekend. I really want to retire.)

But for stress relief, I sneak off and go treasure-hunting. I justify going to my flea market because of the fresh air (still masked and distancing) and the exercise (did 7,400 steps Sunday.) The finds have been here and there, people set up at different times. And I hit a community yard sale last weekend where most of the jewelry was a dollar a piece. The best of the best:

The ivory bangle was on a dollar table
    ivory bangle.jpg
    The jade bangle is more imperial jade green, not sure how you are seeing it. $5. jade bracelet.jpg
    The D & E set was $2 (a dollar for the pin, a dollar for the earrings.) The back construction is amazing.
    D & E black set front.jpg
    D & E black back.jpg

10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

The lady who sold me the D & E set sold me this Whiting and Davis snake bracelet and earrings. She insisted that the bracelet was a more expensive piece, so I forked over $2 for it and $1 for the earrings.
    Whiting & Davis bracelet earrings.jpg
    She also had this pristine set, you can remove a link at the clasp to make it shorter, called adjust-a-link, $2 for the set.
    Add a link set.jpg
    Then at noon the marineer shells were still there. It took an hour to detangle them. A dollar.
    marineer shells.jpg
    The Milor sterling lire bracelet was $3. I didn't realize it was Milor or sterling until a few days later. I was just excited about the lire.
    milor lire bracelet.jpg
    The amethyst, quartz, rainbow moonstone, and iolite necklace was $4. I splurged.
    Moonstone Amethty Iolite necklace.jpg

11. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Wow Marko - you sure know how to shop!!

12. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Evelyb, I will see your kitty and raise you a bunny.

This is Fangus. He is also my therapy cat/stress relief/thinks-he's-a-puppy cat.
    Fangus 1.jpg And this is Bun-Bun, the tamest yard bunny I have ever seen.
    Bun Bun.jpg

13. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thanks, Bookahtoo. I am hoping more comes out as the days get cooler and people set up more. Most of our outdoor events are cancelled, but a few are upcoming. I got up very early for the community yard sale. There was so much stuff there, but I focus on the jewelry. I got a couple of pairs of 14k earrings for $3 a piece, tons of jewelry for just a dollar, too much to photograph. Some had the tags on, never worn, from 70 years ago. I get to the flea market around 8 am, you have to walk around and around because people set up continuously and you have to hit them at the right moment.

I was on another thread about what do you buy in addition to what you usually look for, and one thing I buy is perfumes. I find quite a lot treasure hunting, but I do indulge once in awhile in expensive bottles at retail.....I am a sucker for Guerlain anything. I think it was Pearlsnblume that said she also looked for perfumes, and i promised to show her my perfume table. The table was $25 at a yard sale, and the picture of Scarlett was dragged back from South Carolina by me on a Spirit flight. Thank goodness it was a short flight, sat with it on my lap, but i love it.

perfume table.jpg

14. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I would have offered to buy it. I live for those days in antique malls where the dealer was clueless.

15. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Have been photographing a box of postcards and ephemera I got at an estate auction recently. I think I really hit it out of the park on this one, no single big find but lots of very solid early postcards for $45. Have pulled about 70 cards I'm going to add to my collection and will perhaps try to sell the other 100 at some point in the future. Got several really nice Christmas postcards and three Halloween cards so I think it was a score. Also got some paper doll clothing, some old photographs, assorted trade cards, and a 1909 pamphlet for a county fair.

16. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Vivien Leigh was exquisitely beautiful !

Marko and bercrystal like this.
  17. evelyb30

1. Wheeeeee! At those prices they were paying YOU to haul it off! Especially the marineer shells.

2. I did a double-take when I saw the ivory bracelet. I had the same one years ago. It's in South Carolina now, on a friend's wrist.

18. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

What is the story on the marineer shells? I gather they are very hard to find? Beautiful! I could not find any on eBay and searches seemed to revert to "mariner" shells.

Bronwen likes this.
  19. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Would anyone have any interest if I created a thread about this box lot and the goodies I found inside? Probably will start posting it tonight.

Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted