Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

We call it "eating on the hoof"

Aquitaine, kyratango and bercrystal like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

we call it heartburn........:happy:

Aquitaine and bercrystal like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I need a car boot sale..... if only to stop me buying on Facebook!

4. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

"Found" on my shelves of "stuff" stored for further research, lovely little (4 inches tall without handle) teapot, I believe Japanese with acid etched design. The smooth scenic tree design is slightly raised above the stippled background. From my research does not seem to be of much value, but I find it quite satisfying and am happy to keep it.
    tea1.JPG tea2.JPG tea3.JPG tea4.JPG

5. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

Same thing here!
    FB is ok, but I prefer the car boot sale's and flea markets.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Me three! I am in DIRE need of a good rummage, estate, boot sale. At this point I'm not picky! Even a good thrift store with some actual goodies. I found one church sale all of last year, and it was one of the lousy ones. (they never have anything really good) Estate sales are all a long distance away or on line auction. (ick) The one exception is on line priced items, but they're all NEW and 90% furniture. If not more. The fact that I even looked should tell you something.

johnnycb09 and Ownedbybear like this.
  7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I am fairly desperate as well for a good antiquing outing outside of the same stale antique malls we have around here. Want to find some bargains. Luckily there is a large estate auction live, on site scheduled for next weekend fairly close that will hopefully be just the thing I need.

Ownedbybear likes this.
  8. evelyb30

You have malls? Dang. I don't even have an antique mall to investigate for the fifth time. ((sob))

johnnycb09 likes this.
  9. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

There is 5 or 6 malls within about half an hour. 3 of them are fairly large - I try to frequent them every few months but have been going more often lately since I've been incredibly bored. Prices range from OK to extremely high and sometimes I think they look more like a flea market than an antique mall.

The 2nd largest antique mall in the country is about a hour and a half away. 800+ vendors apparently. Nice place to visit but prices are high retail. I try to make it there once a year at least.

10. evelyb30

Looking for mistakes, no doubt, that other vendors didn't catch. There are some shared space stores around, but not many and none really large. I'm not even sure if some of them are still open. One I'm thinking of was priced across the board at full retail; it's a hike and I gave up a few years ago.

11. kristiaan

12. Ownedbybear

I love Freecycle and Freegle.

Aquitaine likes this.
  13. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

kristiaan and komokwa like this.
  14. kristiaan

"Plain back captain's chair" is how I noticed it would be described at the best....

bercrystal likes this.
  15. evelyb30

It's not exactly what I use all the time, but it's similar. We Americans used those as kitchen chairs. They're nice and sturdy.

kristiaan, Aquitaine and bercrystal like this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NEVER heard of them before, but they SOUND TERRIFIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kristiaan likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

I'm a moderator for both locally. Great way of diverting from landfill. I once got a brand new tumble dryer!

Hamburger, bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  18. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

They can be wonderful if moderated well, which at times is quite a demanding task.

I unsubscribed from my last Freecycle list when it became flooded with "want" posts -- typically people asking for vehicles or household appliances.

But I've also had very positive experiences with Freecycle and "eBay Kleinanzeigen" (= eBay small ads in Germany) to keep things in use that are either not worth enough to sell or are bulky: large furniture items, picture frames, rugs that once cost thousands but are now only worth a few $ € £.

Houseful and Ghopper1924 like this.
  19. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Draft saved Draft deleted