Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Picked this today for $4.99+. A Sailor’s Log by Robley D. Evans, retired Rear Admiral U.S.N.. Signed & inscribed at his retirement celebration at the Lake Mohonk Mountain House in 1908. Also includes a separate card with his autograph and several sheets of Lake Mohonk Mountain House letterhead, a calling card from Mrs. J.H. Jackson (haven’t figured if there’s a connection or exactly who she is). Owned at one time by The Whaling and Marine Manuscript Archives in Nantucket.
    I like how he crossed out his printed name and rank and wrote in “Retired”. He served in the Civil War and the Spanish American War.
    83072ED7-3AEF-4258-9D8B-D2C960D1EBDB.jpeg
    FEE1242E-72EF-4880-B1E5-CCF16B3C078F.jpeg
    C65F48E4-4731-47E5-BFC3-37187EF0F531.jpeg
    784E4505-3703-4E0C-BA3D-7F32AB19FA99.jpeg
    F93C05A8-1661-4D58-9EDA-E41703E270D3.jpeg
    38B2450C-19CD-4272-8D16-370DCE3D3520.jpeg
    FDC1A7B4-73B0-415D-8A6F-A94C3C971D89.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

wonder why they'd let a book like that get away???

4. anundverkaufen

The Whaling and Marine Manuscript Archives Inc. was the private collection of Douglass Fonda, he donated and loaned items to museums and various archives. His collection was auctioned and sold off in November of 1977.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Weird things escape sometimes.
    @Ghopper1924 - case in point. Score!

Aquitaine and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. anundverkaufen

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

More things I unearthed I have zero memory of. Its not like I even collect mustache cups! The little pink one is a match holder with striker on the side. Im REALLY rethinking my buying habits after this nightmare of packing !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. komokwa

musta bin in yer younger days , son !! :playful::playful::playful::eek:

johnnycb09 likes this.
  9. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

More "finds" found on my shelves.
    Vintage vanity stuff and aluminum hem clips.
    afd1.JPG afd1a.JPG

Nice scent bottle with brass florals, bigger than other similar I have had, about 8 inches tall. Sadly the glass is very cloudy, I've tried to clean it with vinegar, efferdent and no luck, so I resorted to using a little oil on the inside to enhance its display. afd2.JPG

10. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

A few more...
    Dick Talbett glass dish, 50s or 60s from what I've seen on-line.

Tiles. The Minton has been chipped off of something and heavily glued into a cardboard surround for stability. My fave is the horse.
    afd3.JPG afd4.JPG afd5.JPG afd6.JPG afd7.JPG afd8.JPG

11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Love the vine tiles!

Aquitaine and cxgirl like this.
  12. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I eat in the car on the way there, bring bottled water and fruit and crackers, and hot dogs afterwards.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    bercrystal likes this.
  13. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I miss you guys. I haven't been out much... hubby and I are scheduled to get the vaccine at the Atlantic City Convention Center, his first dose is 3-9, mine is 3-19. They have been giving out the Pfizer vaccine. It hit home, sadly, yesterday....a colleague died of Covid-19, early 40s. So I proceed with caution.

There was and is an estate sale going on two blocks from me, but there were 20 plus cars outside, so I didn't even entertain stopping in. I looked at the pics online, all modern things. No great loss.

I can say the jewelry lady that "helps" a great deal of thrift shops in the area (she "helps" identify jewelry and gets first pick of what she wants) must not be out and about. I found several mistakes, and will have to take some pictures soon. I also stopped in a new place, mostly a place that goes to auctions and re-does old furniture in chalk ware, but found one item that was worth stopping in for.

14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

bercrystal and johnnycb09 like this.
  15. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Some finds from over a month... not up to doing very much.
    Blue cuff with givre beads blue cuff givre.jpg
    10k Bally's tac pin
    Ballys 10k tac.jpg
    Pewter lobster cuff Lobster Cuff.jpg
    Plate featuring Chinese export necklace, old GF pink glass bracelet, and Venetian glass bead necklace Plate 1 2-21.jpg
    Plate featuring GF cameo necklace, Monet bee pin, sterling clasp freshwater pearls, and sterling blue. red, and clear bell-shaped iris/rainbow glass bracelet
    Plate 2 2=21.jpg
    Repro sterling matchbox heart and 20 inch sterling chain
    Sterling heart matchbox.jpg
    10k synthetic ruby earrings and necklace

16. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Ruby earrings and necklace
    Ruby Heart Set 10k.jpg
    Plate of gold- white gold watch and band is 14k Lucien Piccard, black band watch 14k Bulova, watch without a band is 14k brand Norman, brooch with two rubies is 18k, hoop earrings marked Italy 14k, ring is Pandora 14k with CZs and white enamel on the back. All from thrifts, total $48. 14k Lot.jpg

17. evelyb30

One from my hoard and one I just found. The medal is for Polish soldiers from the Utica area (marked on the back by a company in Utica) who volunteered for Haller's Brigade in WWI. The bracelet is hollow and molded with fish and crabs. I think it's Indian but it doesn't have a mark to save its soul.

DSCF5552.JPG DSCF5573.JPG

18. evelyb30

You've been having way better luck at the thrifts than I have. ^5 !

19. komokwa

isn't that a chinese koi bracelet....?

upload_2021-2-21_19-31-22.jpeg

johnnycb09 likes this.
  20. komokwa

your pics are always super !!!!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted