Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Every once in a blue moon, collectibles actually are. Unless they're collector's plates!

2. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

3. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Found this large 19thc. jug today for $6.99+. Alkaline glaze, 15-1/4” tall with hopefully a discernible makers mark, there’s more lettering behind the handle that I haven’t been able to capture yet. I love the finger marks on the bottom.
    851C9EAB-5E20-455E-A5ED-F9744CC503DC.jpeg
    2CB68160-6397-4339-9D5E-DA20C1FB5B18.jpeg
    6D1225E2-ED97-4825-801F-B539FA655A26.jpeg
    FEE9DF2C-93D7-4AB2-B523-18F71D473D7F.jpeg

Joe2007, kyratango, KSW and 8 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice, ........how much whiskey does it hold ?

cxgirl and anundverkaufen like this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Contact Crocker Farms with your great photos. They will help ID your wonderful jug.
    greg

KSW, komokwa, cxgirl and 1 other person like this.
  6. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Komo, probably holds a couple gallons. More than I could drink in a lifetime.

Thanks Greg, definitely going to send photos to Crocker.

KSW, komokwa, cxgirl and 1 other person like this.
  7. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

KSW likes this.
  8. komokwa

a couple of gallons?
    so , could the side mark be a ' 2 ' ??

9. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Anund is knowledgeable in so many areas like rest of you guys. I stick to the very few categories I know, although I did score a piece of glassware I will have to photograph for the next time.

Yesterday's finds. The jewelry lady must be in the islands.

Just a costume bracelet I liked
    Multi Bracelet.jpg

Plate of costume. The ladybug watch is Lenox and still has the plastic cover on the face. The earrings are Monet, but had 14k posts on them, so for $2 I grabbed them. Earrings are Avon, but do well around Valentine's Day. And my ship has come in.
    Plate of Costume 3-7-21.jpg

Plate of sterling, GF, and 14k. The little stud earrings were overlooked, 14k an CZ. I bought the jade heart pendant for the vintage pre-1930's GF chain.
    Plate of Sterling and Gold 3-7-21.jpg
    This set is modern, Rush by Denis & Charles. $5 Russ Denis and Charles set.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Second batch...
    The knotted black tourmaline strand is 60" long. $3.
    Black Tourmaline Necklace 60 inches.jpg
    The Premiere Designs rutilated? quartz and stone necklace called Sand Dune was $4. I will wear this, found the matching earrings online already.
    PD Sand Dune necklace.jpg
    Zarrah sterling and enamel scuba diving cats
    Zarrah Scuba Cats.jpg

I had to make a decision at the end of my treasure-hunting day. I had to choose between two places, both closed soon, and I could only visit one. I am glad I chose the one I did. I found a new dealer set up with jewelry. Regency is one of my favorite costume designers, and this was $5.

all_fakes, quirkygirl, KSW and 7 others like this.
  11. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

It would be nice if I added the picture. Regency butterfly:

Regency Smokey Butterfly Brooch.jpg

And from the same dealer, I never heard of the designer Alexis Kirk, this is his work, a phoenix brooch, $3. I love this piece.
    Alexis Kirk Phoenix Brooch.jpg

And lastly, from a store that the jewelry lady "helps," this ring was in the display case for $12. I did see the 925 mark, and I had a hunch.
    BEH rock crystal ring.jpg
    The stone is rock crystal, the hallmarks are BEH 925S, and the ring is by Bengt Hallberg. Here is a link to information, a second link is to a similar ring, not my auction, just for information.
    http://www.historiskasmycken.se/company.htm
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/802536427/bengt-hallberg-crystal-and-silver-ring?ref=sold_out-4

12. komokwa

Now , that's a ROCK !!!!
    Nice hunting & gathering @Marko :happy::happy:

KSW, johnnycb09 and Marko like this.
  13. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thank you. Treasure-hunting, reading, and binge-watching series on TV is the only thing that relaxes me. I am like a tightly-wound watch.

14. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Do you have to test for black tourmaline Marko? I would assume black glass as I don’t think I’ve ever seen black tourmaline, is it heavier than glass when you pick it up and can you see mineral inclusions? I’m clueless. Thanks for any pointers.

KSW and komokwa like this.
  15. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I have a Presidium. I bought some beads at an estate sale last year, and what I thought was black glass was black tourmaline. It's not very valuable, but I like it. From my experience, black tourmaline has a bit of a "dusty" look on the stones when you see it in person. Google pictures of black tourmaline beads. Hope this helps!

KSW, komokwa and Houseful like this.
  16. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

It does help Marko, thanks. I’ll keep a lookout to see if I can see any differences as I don’t have a Presidium. I do buy black faceted glass when I see it if it’s cheap enough.

KSW likes this.
  17. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Depending on the size,a bright light won't shine through black tourmaline beads and probably would not see any inclusions.

KSW and Houseful like this.
  18. Mzbrandy

Mzbrandy Member

19. Mzbrandy

Mzbrandy Member

20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

@Mzbrandy maybe start a new thread and post these photos in the pottery & glass section as more people will see them in there. This ‘Finds’ thread is usually where people post items that they already know about but want to share.

Draft saved Draft deleted