Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I found this Huichol 'yarn painting' yesterday. I absolutely love it. The inscription on the back, though I personally can't accurately translate it, is something about a shaman and helpers offering feathers and candles of a serpent to the gods of peyote? ...Ok! According to Wikipedia at least, that seems to be an accurate part of their belief and practice.

FF6B4A6D-CFA5-460E-AF5E-0CF1520D5B8D.jpeg EEEFBF84-601F-4F96-9CBE-DCE4E506AF5D.jpeg
    (And it has the added bonus of looking a little like a 1963 psychedelic album cover from some underground band.)
    ;););)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

3. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

They are also engravable and not engraved. Another plus. I love cufflinks, my dad only ever wore French cuffs and cufflinks. His favorite pair were goofus glass, a jockey jumping a horse over a fence. I once found a yard sale where the guy was selling cufflinks for a dollar a pair- got a few sets of sterling and beautiful designer sets.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  4. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I love it. There definitely is a market for it!

5. evelyb30

Went to an estate sale this morning. They said it started at 10. Got there at 9 and waited and waited and waited. Seller showed at 10:05. Spent $20.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"The shaman and his assistant are speaking to the Peyote god and offer him feathers and candles the serpent communicates with the gods." (sic)

Debora

7. Potteryplease

8. Potteryplease

I've been on a lucky streak lately. :happy::happy::happy: These items were all very reasonably priced. The "Spirit" mask w horse hair is by Brad Starr. The beaver mask is by Len Paquette. The bronze is apparently a reproduction based on a Chinese bronze from the Dian people. It's a tiger attacking an ox who is protecting its young... And the Navajo double saddle blanket measures 31" x 48". I think it's pretty old, perhaps an antique.

D1C40EAE-AE7C-47F4-80C2-F34C098DBF8A.jpeg F1820D20-D56D-4652-B202-2561F87A5EFE.jpeg

Boland, johnnycb09, verybrad and 11 others like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I've sold Len & Brads works.
    Brads mini masks are quite nice but Lens work is much finer ...
    You have a beaver Frontlet.....worn with a cedar bark ring, or full hat , on the forehead..

[​IMG]

Boland, johnnycb09, kyratango and 8 others like this.
  10. komokwa

the color bleed on the blanket shows age.....but how much..?

11. Potteryplease

Very interesting! Thanks!

Now I need to find one of those blankets in the picture...

12. komokwa

I've not seen one like it......:(

13. Potteryplease

What a powerful photograph that is, by the way.

kyratango, komokwa, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  14. evelyb30

And here I was happy about scoring some Southwestern tourist pieces....and these show up. Dang!

Marko, bercrystal and Potteryplease like this.
  15. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Lots of sales this week. Seems most were pre picked by someone. Little worth buying for resale.

I did pick up $300 worth of mundane scrap for $30. P1890967.JPG

johnnycb09, Hamburger, Marko and 5 others like this.
  16. evelyb30

Better than most of us! I could use some mundane cheap scrap about now. I was offered some sterling jewelry today... at about full retail.

17. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I love that white gold setting, top right. Substantial, elegant.....would hate to see it scrapped. Six-prong secure setting- is it 10k, 14k, or platinum? Somebody probably yanked a nice diamond out of that.

bercrystal likes this.
  18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@KikoBlueEyes, back to that bangle of yours!!! That was PRETTY TINY to try and enlarge, trust me!!!:happy::happy: But, I think at 3X it didn't distort, and was able to let Camera Raw (part of Photoshop) enlarge it a bit more.....not saying there's much that I understand there, but some letters and numbers, I think.....First smaller image is the 3X size, and then the second enlargement below that.............​

IMG_6040-a-scale-3_00x.jpg
    INSIDE BRACELET-2.jpg

KikoBlueEyes and bercrystal like this.
  19. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I yanked a .15 carat out of it.
    Half way between white and yellow.
    Tested 14K.
    Likely lost its mark in being resized to tiny.

Marko and bercrystal like this.
  20. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Am I seeing 4/100? Maybe this was done by a designer with a limited edition?

KikoBlueEyes and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted