Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

cxgirl, Bronwen, lovewrens and 5 others like this.
  2. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

nice, I like the letter holder.

cxgirl, johnnycb09 and verybrad like this.
  3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Marko take care please
    I think I had that bag you show -- the one in blue -- in olden days.

Brad cool finds for sure.

cxgirl, Bronwen, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Two pieces of sterling for $1.70 each. (The $1.70 prices are coming from a 15% discount off $2.00. Thrift was offering 15% off purchases of $50.00 or more that day. Managed to do my part.) Creamer is pretty dented up. Base on divided bowl was deformed but I was able to straighten. Think this might be the third one of these in the hoard.
    sterling7.jpg

Sterling souvenir teaspoon from High School in Harrisburg, IL. Reed and Barton Pat. date May 22, 1900. I have not identified the pattern as of yet. Bought for $0.50 from the same garage sale as the elephants above. Was black with tarnish but cleaned up nicely.

sterling8.jpg

I don't usually buy costume pins such as this larger one with stones. Was intrigued by the three stones that seem acid etched (cracked ice?). Center stone is reflective/refracted multi-colored. Can you tell me anything more about this pin? Small circle pin with pearls had a very tiny mark I could not see. Took a gamble on the chance it might be gold. Turns out to be 14K GF. think I did fine on these at $1.70 each.
    thriftjewelry3.jpg

I don't usually buy African carvings but the quality on this one seemed better than most. Label from Tanzania on the bottom. About 9" tall. Bought for $4.00.

thriftstuff3.jpg

I continue to be a sucker for boxes. This one is larger in size than most, has better hardware, and was only $1.00. The feet were broken off but were inside the box. Was marked $2.00 originally but made it to half price at Goodwill.

thriftbox15.jpg
    thriftbox15a.jpg

Last but not least. This medium sized Stangl urn was $1.70.
    thriftpot38.jpg

cxgirl, RachelW, Bronwen and 9 others like this.
  5. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Great finds!

6. verybrad

Marko, please take care. Glad you are taking this seriously and continue to get as much rest as possible.

cxgirl, Bronwen, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Brad I think I have a very smilar pin (the pearls one) here from my grandmother, I need to see if I can find it.
    Fantastic prices on what you buy. I am jealous.

cxgirl, johnnycb09 and verybrad like this.
  8. verybrad

LOL!..... I liked the black ones but think these are a definite upgrade. Great bargain too! Now, if you can keep your mother from giving them away .... :rolleyes:

cxgirl, johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

@verybrad can you please post a good photo of the back of the rhinestone pin? The center stone has an Aurora Borealis finish (AB rhinestone), developed in the mid 50s, so that's the oldest it can be.

johnnycb09, verybrad and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Marco-S***!-Hope your recovering quickly.
    PS-I knew S. Jersey was a tough place,watch yerself !
    Brad-The secessionist tray's lovely,as is the locally made tile.

komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  11. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Lol, banged my head on my bookshelf. Thanks Bosk

cxgirl, Bronwen, kentworld and 4 others like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Marko - argggh. But better safe than permanent damage.

Brad - the rhinestones are molded, not "cracked ice". Cracked ice stones have the effect on the inside. These are molded on the outside. I'd guess early 60s for a date; the aurora borealis center stone dates it to mid-50s or later (as noted), but it didn't appear on colored rhinestones until the later 50s date. The color mix says late 50s too, into the early 60s somewhere. Or close enough.

13. verybrad

@Marie Forjan

Here are a couple better pics, front and back. 20240519_151213~2.jpg 20240519_151133~2.jpg

cxgirl, lovewrens, stracci and 3 others like this.
  14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Brad, That spoon may be Le Cinq Fleurs. It is a multi-motif pattern.

15. bosko69

Had to get these for $2 each.I rarely pick Blue Willow,but I thought at that price they'd at least be good specimen pieces.
    Any opinions as to whether 19th or 20th Century ?

Tray1.jpg Tray2.jpg

TrayII1.jpg TrayII3.jpg

cxgirl, Houseful, lovewrens and 5 others like this.
  16. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

@verybrad I would call that an unsigned beauty, mid 1950s-60s. sorry, there are a few companies who used that kind of construction and without a mark there is just no way to know who done it :sorry:

verybrad and pearlsnblume like this.
  17. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

cxgirl, Houseful, kentworld and 4 others like this.
  18. bosko69

Thanks Bakers.Stoke On Trent's one of the places we'd like to visit someday.

cxgirl and johnnycb09 like this.
  19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

@Marko ...I hope the bookshelf got, as good as it gave....
    feel better soon !!!!:kiss:

20. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

She knows better ! At least with "my" things ! I say that but that wouldnt stop her really. She just loves to give,and thats not a bad thing except when you cant find the rugs,curtains,towels,lamps,etc,etc,etc you were looking for . Im just as bad so I guess I get it from her. I gave that bar I found recently to the same niece (but mainly because it fit NOWHERE) . :)

Ghopper1924, cxgirl, Houseful and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted