Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Mom fell a couple of weeks ago in her room and had a cut above her eye. I freaked out of course and insisted we go to the ER but she wasnt having it. Funny how old ladies can be so dammed determined when they want ! I didnt sleep that night for checking on her every hour on the hour. Never mess around with head injuries ,they can be far more devastating than they initially appear. Take care of yourself ,we need you !

bosko69, cxgirl, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  2. found this at a consignment store for $40. signed by the artist on the back have dated it to the 1930s in Africa. garden of Eden carving over 6 ft tall. one by the same artist but not nearly as intricate sold for $1,600 at a Washington DC auction.

Attached Files:

Happy!, cxgirl, Houseful and 5 others like this.
  3. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Well, I hope you recover quickly and good that you were checked out thoroughly at the ER. I am still recovering slowly, so very slowly from hoisting a heavy grocery bag last August! Something went "pop" and have been doing physio for wrecked tendons in my shoulder and wrist since December! Aging bodies. Gah!

Happy!, Marko, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I hope you get back in the pink very soon Kent !!!

cxgirl, kentworld and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. okay in all my years of searching antiques this has got to be one of my most unusual finds if not the most. I have no idea how old it is but it almost looks like the late 1800s to me (note the button up shoes) and I believe it shows a gay couple. not sure I've ever found a photo of a gay couple from that time period. note the extremely intimate pose with not only legs intertwined but all fingers as well. I don't believe even two best friends would have posed this way unless they were intimate. I had to buy it because I just found it interesting.
    Screenshot_20240520_174113_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20240520_174113_Photos.jpg

cxgirl and Satin In A Coffin like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They're wearing spats so 1920s. I doubt very much it's meant to depict a homosexual couple.

Debora

crowleys, terry5732, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  7. johnnycb09

Before gay became a "thing" straight men were much more physically affectionate with one another. There are tons of pictures showing men hugging,cuddling etc . Only thru modern eyes does anyone see them as gay.

crowleys, NanaB, cxgirl and 1 other person like this.
  8. I have to respectfully disagree, it's about the intimacy between two people coming through in the photograph. back in those days people were regularly beaten or killed for being who they were and I suspect this is why we don't see historic photos of that population and this one is such a rarity. of course I don't know for certain that they were a couple but judging by the body language the extreme intertwining of the bodies Etc it doesn't take a psychologist.

9. and it's funny that you would say "before gay became a thing" as if it suddenly came into being when people started speaking about it. do some history research on Alexander the Great and even back before that.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

lovewrens likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Sparta encouraged relationships between warriors, it was seen as bonding and ensured they’d fight for each other.

I read a lot of mary Renault in my youth.

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Satin In A Coffin

Satin In A Coffin Well-Known Member

They certainly do seem a couple. It's a great photo, very engaging. I would hang that on my wall in a heartbeat!

cxgirl likes this.
  13. johnnycb09

Do research ? Ive been doing research for oh,about 60 years. I stand by my statement. People see what they want to see. Theres absolutely nothing about that photo that says couple. In my opinion.

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's certainly a posed shot as opposed to a candid shot .... and...it is a great photo...... but exactly what it's meaning is......escapes me .

The guy on the left is as handsome as they come......but he don't look like he wants to be there....... and while they may be sitting on each other...... I don't see any affection......at all...
    the other guys expression......is vapid...at best !

johnnycb09 likes this.
  15. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I'm with Johnny. I don't see anything gay in the photo. It's akin to kids' games where you do complicated hand slaps and grabs with another. Like, "look at me, I've got 4 legs!"

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Think it's about the cigars.

Debora

johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  17. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

18. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I think I recognize the guy on the right.
    Lumii_20240524_173107433.jpg

komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  19. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I just happened to find this for $20. He's not perfect, his left foot is missing some toes, but it was love at first sight. Even hubby loves him.
    Lumii_20240524_172819745.jpg
    Lumii_20240524_172814791.jpg
    Lumii_20240524_172810003.jpg

20. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

He's awesome ! I love frogs and had one of these squeaker toys years ago-
    FROGGY GREMLIN.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted