Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Johnnie, the two little bits of glass look faintly Mdina-ish. Albeit the white one is a Caithness shape. Close ups?

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Here ya go Bear... Thanks ! DSCN3171.JPG DSCN3168.JPG

Attached Files:

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Johnnie,
    Where you been hiding?? I agree I love the box also. When I was a kid we did not need phone timers. Miss "central" would give us a click every three minutes. I think the longest phone call we ever had was 7 mins. We paid for local calls then as well as long distance. My Gram and Gramp got a phone bill once of $2.35 and Gramp swore to have the phone removed. That was the month my little brother was born. My Mom's hospital bill for the delivery and 6 days in hospital was $7.25. I still have the bill around here somewhere.
    greg

4. gregsglass

Hi,
    Have people lost their minds or is the end coming soon? There is a guy a block away who has a big sign saying MORE FREE STUFF. My neighbor saw it coming home and she told me. I went flying down, he was just closing his garage and handed me a box. Said come back tomorrow. This is my swag for the day. An Italian ceramic cannister set 7 pcs. I do not like the blue in my kitchen. Two crystal 10" candlesticks, 5 Wedgwood cabbage leaf plates and this 7" tile.
    greg 001.JPG 003.JPG 005.JPG 003.JPG 006.JPG

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

How could you not like that blue, Greg? :wideyed:

I love the tile - the decorated side, not the back. ;)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Free is my favourite price. Remind me to tell the story of the USSR silver some time.

Johnny, the white is almost certainly Mdina. The yellow, hm. Picture of its ass, please?

cxgirl likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Dear Ownedbybear:
    What is the story behind the USSR Silver ?
    :angelic::angelic::angelic:

8. johnnycb09

Here ya go Bear,and again,thanks. DSCN3172.JPG

9. johnnycb09

Ive been lurking Greg,but I haven't been out in a few weeks. I love the blue cannisters ! And the price would make me flutter ! Im cheapy cheap,so free is the best price of all !

10. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Is the book flask marked on the "spine?" The best of these will often have a "title" inscribed such as "Hermits Delight" or "Bennington Ladies"...as many were made in Bennington, Vt.. The very best are maker marked on the Base. Even unmarked in any way examples are popular, though nowhere NEAR what they were say 15 years ago.

These will always be called BENNINGTON, or Bennington TYPE book flasks whether they were made there or not.;) Circa 1840-1870 or so.

Condition?

Nice find.

Bear... Are you familiar with any English origin Rockingham glaze book flasks or is this a particularly American form? I know the Coachman and Mermaid Rockingham glaze flasks were made both here and there but I can't recall any mention of this form coming from England.

Greg...The tile looks Moravian but they're usually marked.

11. gregsglass

Hi Bakers,
    I like the blue but what I said was I do not like the blue in my kitchen. Besides they will take up too much counter space.
    greg

12. gregsglass

Hi Don,
    The tile looked Moravian to me too but the 7" size was strange.
    greg

13. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

They made tiles of every size and shape imaginable. 7" wouldn't be too peculiar I don't think.

14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Love the tile. Can you make out the mark? My sister had what look like those larger canisters in a darker blue. Do they have a ceramic loop handle on the side we can't see in the pics? If so, the loop is meant to hold a wooden spoon/scoop that came with them. I think my sister bought her is the 80s or so. When she moved, I inherited them and still have them boxed up.

gregsglass likes this.
  15. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

@Eve and Don, mid-19th C. Bennington is correct, titled on spine and condition is near mint with 90% of the original cork still intact....$2. The bowl appears to be mid-18th C. Chinese Dehua export....$1. Also picked-up a 1974 Superman battery operated toothbrush for a $1 and a whole mess of "costume jewelry" for $100 at today's sale. :greedy::D

@Sharona, dang! After all these years, he thinks you've been stealing the stuff? Yeah, time for a new spot.

FlyingButtonRanch likes this.
  16. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Well I assume, he does not always ask where I got it but has and I tell him the truth and he often says, I have never seen gold and diamonds in garage sales....Not likely he's been in one in 50 years he's is getting very senile. I just blew it off as him having no clue, he's a jeweler not a garage saler. I told my daughter thats what I do, stay up late at night and creep around the neighborhoods for my goods. Very disturbing to me

17. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

He is senile, he use to have his shope 2 doors down from my dads barber shop for 35 years and my mom bought tons of jewelry from him and he has no clue who they are. In reality I do not think he would have bought from me for years if that is what he really thought or ever

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  18. gregsglass

Hi Brad,
    Thanks for info on the cannisters, the four big ones have a triangluar hook on the side, the three little none. I finally found a mark on the tile it is Moravian, dated 1965. The candlesticks, nada so they will be "regifted" to somebody. I am going back to the guy this morning. Shame that I missed on the furniture. The guy is a retired postal worker who bought his grandmothers house, built a second floor and a huge pool. He can't do stairs and can't afford the taxes on the place now. He is moving into small senior cottage and is just giving everything away. He wants the place empty before he puts it on the market. does not want to be bothered with selling or putting up with BS from some of the "estate sellers" so he just shoves stuff out on the driveway.
    greg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  19. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Sharonna, I hope you are feeling better. Find another jeweler, he can't be the only one around. Cxgirl, I love that clock and the pink nymph tray. Terry, way cool find on the tomahawk!!! And the 14k watch! I missed jewelry at a yard sale, the guy said he sold all of it to a lady and didn't get a chance to sort through and pull out the gold pieces. DUH! Why sell it, then? Why not sort it out first?

20. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Greg, was some of that glassware Lenox? Is that clear relish tray a deviled egg tray?

Draft saved Draft deleted