Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Marko,
    Yes there was a lot of Lenox and the egg plate a hobnail pattern I think it is Indiana.
    greg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That wee yelllow thing looks to have a flame pontil mark, so either Isle of Wight or Kerry. I thought it had a Mdina ish look, it's all Michael Harris anyhow.

Don, I don't think I've seen English Rockingham book flasks, but now you've mentioned them I'll keep and eye open.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Haven't posted much on here of late. Have mostly been buying junk furniture to fix up so won't post that here. Some of it was in the Tales from the hoard thread over in the general discussion area. No great finds but have only been looking at the thrifts and it is hit or miss. Do have a few things to show.

This 14" tall Japanese lacquer vase with MOP inlay was $4.00.
    stuff1071.jpg

These Federal glasses were $6.00.
    stuff1067.jpg

This pierced tin light fixture was $5.00.
    stuff1086.jpg

This huge unusual basket with wrought iron handle was $3.00.
    stuff1087.jpg

MCM magazine rack was $6.00.
    stuff1088.jpg

Peach crates were $1.50 each. stuff1089.jpg
    Coal bucket was $3.00. Color is original.
    stuff1090.jpg

Tall Holmegaard Rondo vase was 50 cents. It had deposits in the interior that came right out (for once). Lacquer box was 75 cents.
    stuff1096.jpg

Lastly, this 24" chain is marked 14K Italy but does not test out :( I thought it might not but thought it worth the $11.00 risk. The bracelet is also marked 14K Italy and does test out. It was $2.00 and I was pretty confident about it since there was also a maker's mark and it is of hollow construction. 6.6 g. of 14K white gold!
    stuff1097.jpg

4. gregsglass

Hi Brad,
    nice stash
    greg

5. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Love the MOP vase, Brad.

I found these old pictures for $1 each last weekend. I have to start a scrapbook of these old pics I find. I like ones that show people's personalities.

The first one:

Bride 1.jpg

Venus rising from the sand

Venus.jpg

Skirt Hike (look at the women on either end):
    Skirt.jpg
    Bathing Beauties- looks like some of the same women from the Skirt Hike picture
    Beach Beauties (521x640).jpg

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Brad....the coal bucket is just so sweet.....i have a pal with the same name ! Haha !

Once again , all u guys finding gold hither and yon is a real wake up call !
    With all the Gold TV shows I could start one up called " Yard Sale Gold " .....follow you guys around to your picks .......and sell it to the Discovery or History channel for 10 Million bucks !!!

If I only had the time !:sour:

7. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Especially like the bride's wedding portrait. There are lots of "elements" in that wedding dress. ;)

8. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I have been trying to notice other stuff that is worth more than I pay for it when I can't find jewelry (like this weekend.) So this is some stuff that I got, not an expert on any of it.

I bought this Bernkop Czech chair for $5. It has some newer screws in the bottom for repairs, my husband said I paid too much.

Bernkop Czech chair.jpg
    I liked this dish for $2, 24kt gold plated dish2 (640x325).jpg

I always buy perfumes. I got these for 25 cents-50 cents each. Body lotions not used at all. I am keeping the Estee Lauder Beautiful, the Oscar de la Renta Volupte, I LOVE the Origins Ginger, really like the Cabotine Rose, and the small bottle of Forever Red spray. I got men's cologne, a huge bottle of Calvin Klein Eternity and travel set for $1, and at another yard sale I got him a vintage bottle of Dana's Canoe for 25 cents and a bottle of Bath and Body Shop Woodlands for 25 cents. perfumes.jpg

This retro magazine rack was $1, I have been wanting one like this!
    Mag Rack.jpg

And can anyone tell me if I just bought a Pier One circa 2014 vase or something else? It was only $5; there was a pair, but the other one was chipped and cracked, so I didn't want it.

Japanese Vase 1.jpg

bottom mark
    Japanese Vase mark.jpg

9. Ownedbybear

I'd have grabbed the Cabotine, it's one of my favourite smells. The WMF is modern, but well worth buying.

10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Greg, my aunt used to be a Lenox quality inspector at the Lenox manufacturing plant in Pomona, NJ. I could get Lenox half-priced. I got an entire vintage Autumn china set for my girlfriend. Autumn is my favorite pattern, but since my husband is a bull in a china shop, I use Corelle purchased at yard sales. I do have one Autumn vase and some Autumn jewelry. The older made in the USA with the gold back stamp is very popular in our area still and flies out the window. I gave a bunch to my sister to sell to a man who buys all of her Lenox.

11. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Very nice finds folks!

@Marko, your Japanese vase dates around 1920s/30s.

These items are all from a single yard sale a few blocks from my home today. I believe they all date circa 1940s - 1950s.

Chrome metal and thick beveled glass swinging picture frame. Unmarked other then the patent number near the base verso. $4.

Three pairs of gold plated cufflinks and one tie clip all by: Krementz, 10K gold filled watch by: Gruen Precision, gold plated money clip by: Christian Dior, old ring box, 10K solid gold letter pin and 14K solid gold initial bracelet. $9 :D

YARD AND FLEA FINDS 001-001.JPG

YARD AND FLEA FINDS 003-001.JPG

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The problem with perfume is that it has a shelf life.
    My wife was throwing out a half bottle of Gucci cuz it no longer smelled like it should....but I kept it because I like the design and there must be 4 pounds of glass there.

Nuff....you never cease to amaze with your eye for gold !!

13. Ownedbybear

Trick is to keep it in the dark or in its original box and in a cool place.

14. 'Nuff_Said

Thanks!

Those pieces above were pretty much EZ and a no brainer. All were bagged and priced at $1 each.

The gold stick pins below are just 2 of 7 we found so far in that $100 "costume jewelry" lot from yesterday's yard sale. That old cut emerald is huge compared to the sapphire at right. There were other pieces of gold and a number of pieces of sterling in that lot as well. These (costume jewelry lots) are hit or miss as far as gold, but more often than not one will find gold that the former owner/s missed during their search. Pays off in the end and it's quick money as far as recouping what was spent for the lot. We're still sorting and most if not all of the costume dates to the first half (or earlier) of the 20th C.

STICKPINS 001-001.JPG

15. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Nuff Did you finally come up for air? lol I love the older jewelry, stick pins bar pins, no matter how much you've seen there is always something different out there as far as any jewelry. You see many of the more common costume pieces but I sure like the older jewelry, which of course unless you have a green thumb like Nuff it much harder to find. I found a few pieces will post in a few. Wouldn't ya know it, they even have better jewels in Jersey :eek:
    Congrats on the jewelry, you can't go wrong
    I picked a bit of gold at swap today and turned it to a swapper who scraps:p for my jeweler. Spent 3.00 for 35 within a few feet....just some bits. The scrapper and I both know him and he knows the jeweler is getting old, semi retired. I told my friend next time he see's my jeweler tell him there are gold and diamonds in them there sales....he doesn't believe me, so off with him..
    I like the box and coal bucket Brad very neat
    Thanks Marko on the road to recovery, still bad cough but way better

16. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Nuff Said, great items! Love the emerald and cuff links. I always pick them up! Can you tell me what kind of Japanese type of artwork this is? Should I have bought the damaged one for $3? Yes, perfume does turn. Left a bottle there because of that. The ones I got are fine.

17. gregsglass

Hi Marko,
    Never ever paid full price for Lenox. My favorite was Eternal just a plain gold band around the cream color. Eternal had round cups did not like them so I mixed in Mansfield which just had a little wider band. Did not have handled soup bowls so I mixed those also. Set a set for 20 it was my good china. I probably knew your aunt
    I was always there looking for bargains at their sales. I spend so much Lenox used to send me all kinds of coupons. One year they sent me a 50% off one item. The warehouse had a huge lamp on sale was $750 reduced to $400. I bought it and a few other things got another 30% off my total order and then with my senior discount I ended up paying 130 dollars for the lamp. Since Dept 56 bought Lenox all Lenox except dinnerware is made overseas. The dinnerware is still made in NC.
    I keep telling people to buy now to finish their sets or buy extra pieces because once it goes overseas the quality will not be the same. Dept 56 decided to empty the ware house in Fleminton of all the old Lenox stock. They had the old large Christmas train cars usually $125 each for $19.99 I bought a dozen. This was two years back, they all went for $90 each since they were discontinued. My family calls my house "The House of Lenwaaaa" I still pick up pieces cheap around here and Free like those pieces. I like the older green stamp pieces. I like your chair and 5 bucks is not over paying.
    greg

Marko likes this.
  18. 'Nuff_Said

Lol!

Sharona, I told you you have to come here for a mini vaca and go antiquing....you wouldn't want to leave. Don can confirm how good the finds are around here and the Philly, Delaware and NY areas. One of, if not the best place/s to shop for antiques/art/etc. in this country in my opinion. I know I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

OMG, Sharona! I stepped out for a moment and when I got back, look what my mom started to do with some of the pieces found a couple weeks ago...

JOOL IMAGES 001-001.JPG

I said: "Mom, what are you doing!?" her reply in her Filipina accent : "well, you don't hab n-e-more bags". LMAO! She's so ol' school.:hilarious:

Anyway, thanks and congrats to you as well, very nice! Hope you get better soon.

@Marko, thank you and if I'm not mistaken, it's: Satsuma Kyoto ware.

19. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Take her up on it Shar...you'll be in heaven.

Think about it.
    N.J. is the MOST populous state.
    It HAS been for 400 years.
    .......ummmmmm........Nuff said....;)

We think we have it made here in south Jersey. The stories I hear outta NORTH Jersey near NYC and about, are simply overwhelming. But folks camp out at estate sales the day before and crazy s*** like that. I'm happy RIGHT here.

mymysharona43 likes this.
  20. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I am happy here, too Skeezix. Thanks, Nuffsaid- will research. I tried to research and thought it might be Satsuma. The funny thing was looking on ebay I saw Satsuma marked "Made in China." :)

Draft saved Draft deleted