Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I got this WWI Enfield rifle Spike Bayonet, known as a "Pig Sticker" 11 inches long.

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Mappin & Webb silver plate trinket box that's been used as an ashtray from "S.S. Port Campbell" I don`t know if it was from the ship that was torpedoed and lost in 1918 or the later cruiser from the 30`s

IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0010.JPG

Attached Files:

KSW likes this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

They are from the Leamington in Minneapolis but they made it all the way down to Bloomington

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Few more things to show.....

This Chase chrome pitcher was $10.00 at a local flea market.
    stuff945.jpg

The rest are thrift store finds......

Mirro bun warmer designed by Russel Wright. $4.00.
    stuff944.jpg

Large 15" dia schoolhouse globe was $5.00.
    stuff943.jpg

Evil Knieval from the 70s was $1.75.
    stuff946.jpg

Mission oak table was $10.00.
    stuff947.jpg

5. User 67

User 67 Active Member

That is one sale I missed, if I remember right, I couldn't get there till the last day and so I didn't bother. Bloomington MN or Bloomington IN?

6. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

I got 2 vintage Turkish Anatolian Siirt mohair blankets from an estate sale last weekend. Luckily the gals on the needle arts board helped me id them (thanks HC), as I had no idea what they were :confused:. Got a few other things, but have yet to photograph them.
    DSCN1534.JPG DSCN1535.JPG

7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Just wondering what the protocol is on "Finds" thread. Is it just to share photos, or if something is misidentified, does the person want to be told?

8. tyeldom3

Oh oh....Taupou ....are my blankets misidentified? If they are, yes, I want to be told, lol!:wacky:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Absolutely post any information, questions, or ideas about anything posted in finds.
    Ultimately that's what the thread is for.

uh, IMHO.

Christmasjoy, trip98 and tyeldom3 like this.
  10. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

No, Tyeldom3, it wasn't your blankets. 6rivets (formerly known as HC) was faster than I in identifying them, and absolutely right-on.

It's the two pottery pieces described as "Navajo." The larger one, the "storyteller," is not Native American, it is factory-made gift ware, made from a mold, with an "Indian" theme. Most likely by Cleo Teissedre, who sold her company in 1996, but which still operates as "Teissedre Designs," out of Tuscon. Neither she, nor the current owner, is Native American.

The smaller piece, the little figure in the canoe, is Native American, but the tribal affiliation is Jemez, from Jemez Pueblo, New Mexico, not related at all to the Navajo, either.

Lucille.b, antidiem and tyeldom3 like this.
  11. tyeldom3

Thank you Taupou :cat:

12. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Oh Thank you Taupou
    Good things to know! I do appreciate the info!

13. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

OK...some have you has already seen this on the Jewelry and Watch Boards but I'm still shaking over this Find.
    Bought at a TS for $10.00 this week. Couldn't get the back open so the mark was hidden but it's solid 14k. multi-color hunter case Waltham 18 size 17 jewels pocket watch. Runs great and looks brand new, the serial number dates it to 1910/11.
    The watch is pretty common but the case is extraordinary, one of my best ever Finds.
    Where would be the best place to sell this ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Even with gold being down from its past highs, the metal value exceeds the case value. The best return will most likely be realised on feebay.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Thanks Terry. Do you mean the 'watch value' ?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Annual church sale spent $45.00. 70s Gucci travel bag, Judith Leiber clutch and jeweled belt (not pictured), bauer ringware vase, herend reticulated heart box, two Russian (i think) silver spoons, pyrex bowl set, assorted japan made santas, two Victorian wishbone napkin rings, messed up Turkish? runner-coudn't pass-up for $5.00, two reams of paper, brand new in box garden hose, I thought I did great until I saw a Catalina Island pottery Monopoly tile table in oak frame sold in the Toy sections for $35.00! Easily a $2500 table. Stuff is out here just gotta keep looking.
    The Chinese enamel stuff from different sale for $7.00.

Attached Files:

DivasFinds and FunkeysFinds like this.
  17. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Those church sales are my favorite!!!

18. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I love the basket!!!!!

19. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

Calico - that PW is stunning! Congrats on a such a jewel of a find!! trip98 - looks and sounds like some amazing items. Who doesn't love a great church sale, my favorite ones I think. I have that exact Bauer vase (same color) in my Bauer collection - probably my favorite piece. Here is hoping everyone has/had a great weekend of hunting!

20. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Found this large oil painting a few weeks ago at the thrift store for $15.00. It is just over 4' long. It is signed, Munkvold. I find an Oscar Emil Munkvold (1891-1958) from Iowa who appears to be the painter. I found that he had a brother that died in the 80s here locally so I imagine that his estate is the original source of the painting to this area. I suppose that the brother could be the painter but I find no evidence that he was a painter and this seems pretty ambitious for a dabbler.

stuff948.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted