Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Not an old (antique) book that I found today, but I can hardly wait to start reading it. I hope it is even half as interesting as I think it will be.

Lloyd's of London (The Risky Business, Colorful History, and Turbulent Future of the World's Most Famous Insurance Group), by Godfrey Hodgson. Elizabeth Sifton Books Viking (1984), hardcover with dust jacket, 378 numbered pages which include a two-page epilogue and a fourteen-page index. ISBN and (original) cost of $17.95 printed on inside front flap of dust jacket.

I was willing and more than happy :) to pay what the lady at the yard sale had all of her books selling for -- 50 cents ($.50) US.;)

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

WOW!
    Sounds cool! :)
    ~
    I was told I should read; Fire at Sea. It's about the Morrow Castle debacle. Greg will know of it. Maybe others too.
    Even though I know some things about it I just bought that off eBidet.
    ~
    SS_Morro_Castle_burning.jpg S.S. Morro Castle Aground, Asbury Park, NJ.jpg

4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

YourTurn, I read that book, back in the day - and visited Lloyd's - in London - too!

After reading it, you'll probably also want to read about the FALL of Lloyd's, just a few years later...

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

King, I don't know anything about it, but from the photos, it sure doesn't look good!

KingofThings likes this.
  6. KingofThings

Was NOT good. :(
    I think 135 or so died. Most or none should have!
    Then it became a side show with her aground off Asbury Park. :p

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Ouch. What possessed the builders to do such a shoddy job? I just found the Wiki on the disaster. It sounds like an all-around ****-up started by the builders and finished by the shipping line.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. KingofThings

Yes a cluster ****. :(
    As a Navy shipboard fireman myself I'm shocked at the abundance of stupidity at the time as well. :(

9. evelyb30

And they had their Class As on when they did it. :mad::mad::mad:

KingofThings likes this.
  10. evelyb30

To make up for yesterdays why-bother, I hit a harvest festival this morning. It hit my wallet back, but I think I did OK. The festival is also the preview for their rummage sale, at least of the jewelry table and the white elephants. Not in my pictures are the serving pieces in blue and white transfer from a doll-sized dinner service. What got me was the soup tureen and gravy boats, but what possessed me to buy pottery...dunno. The jewelry is sitting in a glass and sterling wine coaster - a whole dollar at a yard sale on the way to a bag sale at another church. (find of the day there were new sunglasses)

The pile .... Two gold-filled watch chains, one with slider. One sort of celtic cigar knife. One gold-filled (I think) cigar cutter fob, one Elgin wind-up, one Hamilton auto-wind with some wear on the back, three silver bracelets, a sterling inlaid dragonfly necklace, two sterling rings, one Victorian gold-filled ring, and a charm bracelet that has at least some gold charms on it. The dragonfly has my sister's name on it. Some sterling and 18 earrings, Venetian beads, and a glass cameo didn't make the picture. DSCF6846.JPG DSCF6848.JPG

11. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Thanks Ownedbybear, they’re close to my sister so i may pay them a visit

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Great haul!

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I sold a couple of bits with them, using the post to get them there. A butterscotch of my own, which I didn't wear and a friend's beaten up to beyond string. She thought it valueless: it made about six hundred quid. They were seriously helpful.

14. yourturntoloveit

SBSVC, do you happen to remember the title and/or author of the book you read about the fall of Lloyd's?

P.S. Oh my goodness, what I would have given to visit Lloyd's of London. ;)

pearlsnblume and KingofThings like this.
  15. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

YourTurn, it was Ultimate Risk: The Inside Story of the Lloyd's Catastrophe,
    by Adam Raphael, Four Walls Eight Windows, 1995.

16. yourturntoloveit

SBSVC
    , thank you, thank you, thank you. I've put that on my "wish list" (meaning I told DH I would like that book and he probably would too). ;) :D

17. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Who says "don't take any wooden nickels". I took over 3,000 today, plus some wooden bills (flats) and tokens. Actually the guy that sold them to me said "What do you want with those? Nobody takes those anymore".

IMG_3379.JPG

18. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Those look like so much fun!! "Larry T Clown" :hilarious:

19. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

LOVE THAT DRAGON!!!!!

KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  20. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

omgoodness, I love that brooch!

Draft saved Draft deleted