Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Cherry Bakelite, sadly no clasp and won’t fit over my head. Tested using Baking Soda (thanks to joolies info here) and hot water test. 4 silver 925 rings, cz, tigers eye, shell and some sort of veined blue stone. £3 the lot from CShop.
    8658BDA4-6054-4710-A0EE-4C41DC50F068.jpeg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The blue is either magnesite or howlite, but smart money is on magnesite. It's dyed within an inch of its life of course. Have you checked the string for two beads that seem stuck together? I've found lots of necklaces like this with those hidden clasp thingies. It's two beads with a screw-threaded piece between them.

3. Houseful

Yes, I did check the beads for a screw fit mechanism, but nothing there. I’ll find a vintage barrel or spring ring.
    As for the blue stone, I carefully tested the back with a bit of acetone on a cotton bud, although nothing came away I, like you think it’s dyed. There’s loads of this stuff around unfortunately, giving genuine turquoise sellers a headache.

4. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

CXgirl, I would love to read that guide!

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. evelyb30

Oh well. They need restringing anyway; whatever they're on is probably cotton, and when that gets old it breaks at a dirty look. I'd end up hand knotting them onto a waxed linen or something. It's easy to handle, big enough that beads don't generally slide over the knots, and readily available.

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Houseful

Thanks Evelyb, I haven’t ever done any bead restringing so will take your advice about the waxed linen.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. evelyb30

Tiger tail can be easier to handle, but not always. I might go with nylon rattail if I could find some the right diameter and the bead holes are larger. That requires using bits and bobs and pliers and such however.

Aquitaine, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Houseful

I’ve got small needle nose pliers (after watching a beading YouTube video). You are right that they are on a cotton at present and they do need something stronger.

Aquitaine likes this.
  9. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Evelyb, I want to restring several pieces, but I don't want to use the wire that is in every craft store, I want to use thread like they did in the old days- unfortunately, the old threads dry rot and break. The beads lay completely different using the old-fashioned way with thread. What are the best threads to use, and do the still sell the old-fashioned findings that you would tie a knot in the end of the metal "ball"? Does silk thread work well? Where do you get your stringing threads? Thanks.

11. evelyb30

I generally get my stuff on line. Beadaholique is a good website for it, but you can get stringing in stores too. They still make nylon beading thread; I often use button thread instead because it's heavier. They still make the knot covers too - that's those end cap thingies. I tend to use heavier materials when they'll fit through the bead holes; bakelite beads are usually big enough to handle 1mm rattail cording, and the knots are shiny and look like spacer beads. I tend to use tigertail for stone beads, because they cut through the fabric cordings sooner or later.

i need help likes this.
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Thought I would post a couple lamp finds here.

Picked up this base recently for $5.00. Made of a plaster-like material. Have had the shade for years just waiting for the right lamp.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Likewise, picked shade and base up separately. Think I might have about $12.00 total into this. Base is also plaster and quite heavy. I recently painted it this cream color. 37" overall height.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wenna, kentworld, Aquitaine and 14 others like this.
  13. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thank you!!!

kyratango likes this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Still waiting for the right lamp..! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:.........teehehe!!!!!!

cxgirl likes this.
  15. verybrad

Don't like the shade with the lamp? Very similar to what would have been on it originally. Here is one all original....
    [​IMG]

16. verybrad

BTW: I am less sure of the marriage of shade and base on the second one. Love both parts but not entirely sure they go together. Any suggestions on what would be a better shade for this? …. or do you love it as-is?

17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Is the lamp Italian garden themed?

18. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think they go together well,but I would paint the lamp to match the leaves on the shade.

19. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

image.jpg Estate sale find. Sadly, Didnt have a shade. 24" tall. Stamped Cassidy Lamps NY on bottom. Body is spun aluminum and painted royal blue (sorry for the dark photo). Other parts are brass with a touch of gilding. Benjamin "fat boy" sockets.

AJefferson, Aquitaine, Marko and 11 others like this.
  20. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

What a great idea to paint the lamp! I love both shades:)

Draft saved Draft deleted