Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Here is a blast from the past, I just found these while clearing out a closet:)
    DSCF4854.jpg DSCF4857.jpg DSCF4858.jpg DSCF4861.jpg DSCF4865.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like the shade....it's the lamp...that's..well....shady !!!:playful::playful:

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

4. komokwa

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I agree with that, I've found a few goodies over the years that I had forgotten about:)
    Yes, maybe from one person, I seem to think they came in a box lot from an auction:)

6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Scored some silver from a thrift today. Unusual because this is a place that has a shelf about 30 yards long with nothing but beat up flaking off silverplate stuff that never sells so I rarely even bother to look through it - but these caught my eye sitting stacked together for 99c a piece. They all have the Cyprus fish silver mark and 830.

Bowl with ram. 5" diameter -- Dish/plate with Leda and the swan scene? 5" diameter -- Dish/plate with Phoenician boat 4 1/2" in diameter.

44082665251_566323553e_kdev.jpg 43176253315_f58430e732_kdev.jpg 29145166057_bdad4df52b_kdev.jpg

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm glad somebody found something in a thrift!

9. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I paid £10 for this large brass covered wooden kindling box whilst viewing a potential free wardrobe that I might not get.

Better than coming away empty handed, I should at the very least quadruple my money on this.

20180817_211349.jpg

20180817_211356.jpg

20180817_211432.jpg

10. komokwa

11. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

I found a stove that's driving me nuts. A Few nice silver pieces and a tusk necklace.

IMG_4308.JPG

IMG_4329.JPG

12. evelyb30

LOVE the stove! Old stoves rock. The necklace is pretty new. Is the parrot Mexican?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

The necklace is Tusk signed on back deGaines 77, The bracelet and Parrot are Taxco

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. evelyb30

No surprises on the silver - it was either going to be Taxco or Mexico City, odds on. Once in a blue moon you'll see Guadalajara, but I even have a hard time spelling that one.

kyratango, Christmasjoy and DeAnne like this.
  15. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

I know right, It is the newer taxco but the bracelet was only 5 an the parrot 3 so still a good deal

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  16. evelyb30

If you're around metal value, that's a score!

My pile of random bits for the day. Scrap metal not shown. There's a 10k cross and a bitty 14k Mary medal. The long 80s earrings are Unknown metal. There are some sterling earrings inlaid with turquoise too. The quilt is a baby quilt I just finished. It's been assigned to the new baby of someone local. The third image? Something I knocked together last night out of silver, pearl and onyx beads with a few snowflake obsidians tossed in for giggles. DSCF9826.JPG DSCF9821.JPG DSCF9824.JPG

17. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Nice, guys. I have had a very mediocre summer treasure hunting, but this past Friday and Saturday were good. I will post pictures of the best soon.

komokwa, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  18. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Love the blanket it looks beautiful. I am sure who ever it's going to will treasure it.

19. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

In a lot of ephemera we found a number of letters sent to Peter Townend, the organiser of the Deb's season in the UK between 1958 and 2000. The practice of presenting debs to Court stopped in 1958 and Townend was a larger than life character, editor of Burke's Peerage and Social Editor of The Tatler (read the Telegraph obituary)

It was interesting to research how these privileged young people progressed in life, some drifted into obscurity, others became movers and shakers. While the letters are mostly banal, the stories behind some of them are anything but, including one from a Cambridge undergraduate who later had the misfortune to be publicly outed by the Serbians.

Edit: now I had put a link to this story but for some reason the link would not work. So just search for a Sunday Times article "Vengeful Serbs betray.."

Shades of James Bond!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  20. seaweed treasures

seaweed treasures Active Member

I found these at a thrift store yesterday :) The bottom of the Young mother picture says Chicago colortype Co 1900 and the smaller picture says painted by R Leslie and etched by Alex Lawson.

mother5.jpeg small4.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted