Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

SMOKING PIPES

George Yale Pipes & Tobacco was, once upon a time, a pipe shop located on Sixth Ave. in New York City. Like a lot of tobacconists specializing in pipes, along with those well-known marques of wider appeal, they also had briars made under their own name, this dark-finished, long-shanked number being one.

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Got up early for an estate sale, spent $3. Went way up north to another advertised "estate sale" and spent... $0, but did get a free hand-held blacklight if it works. Found another tag sale on the way in and spent $3 waiting for the lady to find this "huge pile of rhinestone jewelry" she knew was there somewhere. No luck. Then I hit a small charity thrift on the way back and BINGO. They had a dollar jewelry bin and in the bin were a Tiffany necklace (real deal), a Pandora Bracelet (clasp seems stuck - may just scrap it), another sterling necklace, and ... a pair of hallmarked gold bangles. Marked 10k. I didn't see the mark until I got them home, but I'm not complaining.

Then I hit another tag sale I wasn't planning on finding and spent, you guessed it, $3. On the other hand, I blew $25 in an antique store on a pile of random bits that included more scrap gold and some real stones. This doesn't even show the costume. The amber is Polish. The Tiffany shined up nicely and my sister is getting it at Christmas; it's either that or melt it. (modern Tiffany is too much of a pain unless you have the receipt.) DSCF9945bitty.jpg DSCF9950.JPG

3. scoutshouse

@evelyb30

What's that doo-hickey inside the charm bracelet on the lower left? Beneath the floral pin?

Nice haul, if you like that sort of thing... Lol

Envy

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it looks southWest...nA....?

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  5. scoutshouse

Yes, komo

I just can't figure out what it is??

6. komokwa

looks like a key chain,,,

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  7. evelyb30

It's a mashed ring that started life as a Native souvenir piece. I'm going to try straightening it out but may well end up melting the poor thing.

8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

If you had a metal ring sizing mandrel it would only takes a few minutes.

9. evelyb30

It's plastic, alas. I've never needed a metal one before.

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The clasp on the blue beads with one of the angels from Raphael's Sistine Madonna is fun.

[​IMG]

kyratango and i need help like this.
  11. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Does the old man have a punch like this?
    snap 001.JPG

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  12. evelyb30

The old man's been in the cemetery since 2005 (i.e. Dad) but I think Grandpa had something similar. When the knees forgive me for the last trip down into the basement I may have to go dig around a bit.

He's just a low quality charm - not attached. I took the necklace apart last night, since the beads are worth more than the necklace was and the string was headed for a bad breakup soon anyway. Cotton stretches and then cotton dies.

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  13. komokwa

IMG_4670.JPG IMG_4671.JPG IMG_4669.JPG IMG_4672.JPG IMG_4664.JPG IMG_4665.JPG IMG_4666.JPG IMG_4668.JPG I have a hard time finding anything at my local GW.....
    but it's fun to look around and test my eye....

That said....I wish the box had it's lid.....& the Dragon makes me smile...so he's my new little buddy !!!

He's unglazed pottery...of some sort... 2 1/2 tall sitting on a 2 1/4 inch round coin styled base...which reads..." I am now your new best friend".....or sumpthin like that....:playful:

The box with no lid is..
    4 3/4 x 3 1/2 inches......& will serve for knick nacks...;)

6 bucks for the two ....

14. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Out of a $5 grab bag ,anything worth looking at twice ?
    These earrings are 1 1/2 inches long
    [​IMG]
    These are unmarked but "feel" like silver
    [​IMG]
    These two pins are (3 1/2 and 2 1/2 long) seem to be mother of pearl inlaid in ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one is 3 1/2 long,no marks other than CJ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And this beauty was $1.99 ! Hallmarked,but what am I going to do with a 10 inch hairbrush ??? I refuse to scrap such a lovely!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Cute puppy!

16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I would have bought the dragon too!

17. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Was able to acquire some really nice pieces of Roseville Pottery this weekend. I'm trying to focus on some of the harder to find patterns/lines to improve my collection. Below is a piece of Wisteria and a piece of Blackberry.

roseville pottery - wisteria vase.jpg roseville pottery - blackberry bud vase.jpg

18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Very nice pieces Joe2007, love the Blackberry pattern:)
    Good to see you posting again!

19. evelyb30

I've seen that star mark before, but bedarned if I can remember whose it is. That other pin mark is St John; it's been a while since I saw it. They make primarily clothing for older women with too much money. The silver looking earrings are probably artisan/craft show/student silver work. The kitties look like very late 80s shell or simulant under clear resin. Those ought to be an easy sale; there are lots of cat lovers out there.

That brush has marks for Sheffield England, and I think that E is 1897. I wouldn't melt that either. Someone else may know who the maker is.

20. evelyb30

Found it! Laila Rowe!

Draft saved Draft deleted