Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much ! :)

2. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

Very glad with this Boch XXL cup and saucer!:)
    [​IMG]

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's most satisfying to find something for a personal collection... and something that you have been seeking!

4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

First: YES, I have significant concerns about authenticity.
    Second: If, and only if, these turn out to be "real," I'll stop grousing about the quality of thrift in this area of sunny Florida.

Found two prints: 1) definitely signed, but signature is so faint, I didn't even realize it was there at first; 2) unknown if it's signed, afraid I'll have to take it out of it's frame (this is the one, that if real, has been badly treated by the Florida sun -- the colors are just not right).

#1 (the "signed" one) is Kandinsky's Violett and #2 is Victor Vasarely's Ionau.

If they're not "real" it's okay, I'll still enjoy them in my office (total price $24).

temp.png
    temp01.png

5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Quixote?

6. Jivvy

I had not thought of it that way, but now it's all I see. :hilarious:

7. Jivvy

And the Vasarely is unsigned... well, that's not exactly true -- the "inside" is signed. :woot: :rolleyes:

temp03.jpg

8. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

44033828364_54b113e78a_z.jpg Large, beautiful Don Hong Oai photograph - inscribed, numbered on back. Got lucky today.

9. Jivvy

And the Kandinsky goes down. There were three issues that concerned me right from the beginning: brightness of paper (this was the biggest one), the fact that it's a print on impressed paper, and the faintness of the pencil signature.

Today I took ultra close-ups of the pencil signature and pencil numbering. When I got the images on my giant computer screen, what did I see?

Dots. When I put the sig and numbering under a microscope what did I see? Very clear, very separate dots... to be specific: cyan, magenta, yellow, and black dots.

I wish I could take a pic to demonstrate what the microscope sees, but I do not have the technology.

temp03.jpg

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Being too lazy to look, is there a Wanted thread for those items sought to complete a set of something?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Yep, 4-color process :bigtears:

12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thank you for showing close-ups, Jivvy, sorry it wasn't what we hoped for. But good for a learning tool for some folks here. Myself included!

So to be clear, a serigraph would not have dots like that?

Hope the Vasarely turns out to be good -- looks promising with that insert.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    cxgirl, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  13. Figtree3

There is a Wanted forum in the bottom section, I believe. It's intended for anything somebody is seeking. I don't recall a thread anywhere else.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Thanks, will check it out. I need one more cameo to complete a set of 12. Only one I have seen is too poorly done for me to part with the $300+ being asked for it. Next question: does anyone ever look at that thread?

15. Jivvy

A serigraph/silkscreen would not have dots.

But that was not my concern here, I knew it was not a serigraph. I knew the main art had dots. The issue here is that the "pencil" signature has dots.

Meaning, not a pencil signature at all.

Sadly, on the Vasarely, the gallery invitation was not an insert -- it was the piece of art! :joyful:

16. Figtree3

I do look at it, but haven't been able to help anybody yet.

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  17. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Wednesdays have been a waste of gas all year. These were a buck a piece today. bones 001.JPG
    Bones
    bones 002.JPG
    29 grams
    bones 003.JPG

18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

how do you get 29 grams of 14k...for 100 pennies.........??

kyratango, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  19. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Terry - are those first degree Saints' relics?

komokwa likes this.
  20. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Saint Jude and Joachim Piccolomini in one case. First time I have run across two in one.

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted