Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Thanks for the alert. Already bought one of the ones that doesn't have the wireless option, fingers crossed more reliable. At least not much of an investment, & if it works for a while, I'll still get some benefit.

pearlsnblume, Aquitaine and Jivvy like this.
  2. Bronwen

Oops

3. Bronwen

This was eBay, & was $65, so not one of those overlooked 14K bracelets for $2 finds, but I was still very pleased with it. There has already been a good clue. Care to guess?

Glass intaglio mine color correct.JPG Glass Intaglio Edge.jpg

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks brass and glass from here. Roman glass?

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

Oh, sorry. Knowing what it is, I overlooked the yellow lighting of the photo of the side. It is actually silver, in a very traditional Egyptian ring design. It has a full set of marks: 90(0)/cat/date letter for 1931/32.

And just realized I have posted it before, different thread. Oh well, if we're doing Roman glass. Roman banded glass intaglio of the Drunken Silenus on his donkey being steadied by a faun. These are routinely assigned to the 1st century CE, however I sometimes wonder if it is routine because one source copies from another. The Getty has one like it, so does a museum in Germany.

The photo above is more accurate for color; these are doctored for contrast.

Glass intaglio 2A.jpg Glass intaglio 2C.JPG

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HEY!!!! That's TWICE in one day yer'v SNIPED me......KWITCHER readin' me mind........'cept for it bein' 1750 yrs old, I wuz agwin' tuh say Xmas Ribbon Candy!!!!!!!:hilarious::headphone::headphone::headphone::headphone::D:D:D

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

With there so much space between the prongs and the top of the 'stone', is there something missing????? Still it looks very cool!!!!!

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

No, although possible this is not what was originally in this mount. Except for the 2,000 year old intaglio, it's very much tourist quality. Prongs may have been opened to take out a faience scarab then bent back, very carefully. It is secure in the setting. Fortunately ring is a little too small for me, so no temptation to wear it. Have a black & white one in a Georgian ring that was not a bargain that I do wear occasionally. It looks like banded agate from a little distance. What I love about the green & blue ones is that they do not look like any stone in nature, so were meant to be conspicuously glass. I imagine them to have been all the rage in some Roman summer of love.

9. evelyb30

Very cool that it survived. I've found glass shard jewelry before at a pretty price, but never anything intact. One more thing to keep an eye out for at rummage sales....

kyratango, Bronwen and Aquitaine like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've not dug up glass sherds, but I do find Roman tile snippets in my garden.

pearlsnblume, Bronwen and Jivvy like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Handfuls of jools over the weekend. All shall be added to the Hoard. None more than a quid.

S20B.jpg S21A.jpg S19B.jpg S19A.jpg S22A.jpg S19C.jpg S20A.jpg S33B.jpg S13A.jpg S03A.jpg S03B.jpg

12. Ownedbybear

Oh, and a fabulous silk petit point 1920s reticule.

S02A (2).jpg S02B (2).jpg

13. evelyb30

You had some fun! I went into the local IllWill today and spent $5 on a backpack. It's for my niece; it's designed to draw on, and she's a doodlebug.

14. Ownedbybear

Far too much fun. ;) The butterfly - 925 silver and amber - is enormous. Three inches across. The purse pleases me hugely, I've a stash of them.

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd call it a moth....but either way...it's delightful !!!!

16. evelyb30

A three inch pin isn't that huge. (LOL)

17. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Some necklaces from c shop one amber, a lamp work glass, probably more recent glass angel fish and exquisite lace collar and doily from recent jumble. The collar just needs tacking together. Think they need framing up. They are very light weight, not sure what the thread material is though. These were left in a box of textiles for me to buy for 20pence each.
    ~ image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

are you sure it's that old ?
    address is the one of the Galerie Lafyette Haussmann.

kyratango likes this.
  19. Ownedbybear

Yup. It's where Galeries Layayette are now, but the Pavilion d'Antin was a fancy shop in the 1920s.

Publicité-ancienne-le-Pavillon-dAntin-la-poupée.jpg

20. evelyb30

There's no age on the fish necklace, but those blue beads are 1950s Japanese. Nice score on those and the amber!

kyratango, Houseful and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted