Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Ok so it’s late at night but I couldn’t retire without posting this. Was in a thrift store today and as I was about to leave, a worker came out with this and put it on the shelf, right in front of me.

:woot: First thing I did was take the shade off and OMG, felt like I was lifting weights at the gym. Checked the shade and base for any markings and ....... blah! Not a one. Tag on it stated broken, but for the life of me, I couldnt even see a scratch. Ca$hing, took it home. Quick trip to Home Depot, for a socket, wire and plug. Just finished the repair now, and I think I am in love.

Please please please, can anyone tag this maker or provide any information. BEST lamp I have ever owned;). Didnt want to post 52 images that I have already taken so a made a simple collage. Sexy base indeed

F4CBE6CD-26D1-4BE4-878C-81C018598B41.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Very pretty ! It might be by Dale Tiffany (no relation) .

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I got nowhere on Saturday. The old hernia hole is still acting up, and the one moving sale I found locally was a dry hole. This however is a lot of Thursday's take, minus the fabric hoard/haul for the quilting group. I've restrung the amber - hand-knotted them. There are two pair of sterling earrings, some Murano dangles that need hooks, and that cigar band wedding ring.

DSCF0287.JPG

4. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I would make earrings out of the Muranos- nice score there! I love the 10k ring, too. Davey, I know I am not the only one wanting to see the jewelry. Some vintage perfumes do really well, too.....

I hit a church sale this weekend, all the jewelry was 25-75 cents. I gave most of it to my sister to sell at her flea market, and I got her a faux fur coat there she loves for $5. I did find a few trinkets I need to photograph and post..... not much, but interesting.

5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@daveydempsey - Yes definitely make sure you check out the perfume bottles before you haul them off to the boot sales. Some of the vintage commercial perfumes do extremely well & if they are still in their original packaging that is even better.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Full bottles, still sealed, of fragrances no longer made can sell for crazy money in the USA. Dunno about the UK and it can't be shipped out of the country most likely - postal regulations. The bath powders and solid creams are another matter.

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Nice Anglo Indian era Kashmiri silver. Late 19th or so.

davey, if you find a perfume called Meadowsong by Goya, I want it! (Still don't get why families don't sort houses, but hey.)

8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

No family at all, the mans deceased wifes carer inherited the lot.
    I'll takes pics in a few days, very busy.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not bad work....if you can get it !!

kyratango likes this.
  10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

It is no different than has been discussed in several different threads, no one wants your parent's (or whoever) stuff. The lady obviously got what she wanted & just wanted the rest of the stuff gone so she could sell the house to get those funds. She obviously did not want to get her hands dirty so to speak so now @daveydempsey gets to reap the rewards. :D:D

11. komokwa

You make a point....but to walk away from good antiques, gold, silver, cash, gems, ect......that just doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense...

at least hold an estate sale 1st......or have a dealer walk the house....

12. daveydempsey

We don't have estate sales here.

She had two major auction house /antique dealers view the contents.
    They did not search it.
    She said both were rude and wanted to charge her lots of money, one offered to pay her £1000 if she included the car (£6k-£7k car)

I on the other hand was charming and offered to do the job at a reasonable amount, she wished she had called me from the off.:rolleyes::D

I found a little bit more gold today and some Wedgwood:rolleyes::cool:

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Interesting about auction houses. A friend was executor of someone's will and got a reputable auction house in to assess. I looked at their list, and could see it was all over the place on valuations - and inaccurate, too. So, I gave her a hand. Sold some stuff VERY well at a little local auction, some privately for her, and got far more than the auction house.

She insisted I took something, so I kept the two big lumps of Whitefriars!

14. komokwa

OK....I get that !

Too bad about those boys being assholes.....that's no way to conduct yourself while representing a business..:(

15. daveydempsey

Their loss my gain.

One of the Auctioneers is known to me and quite polite and friendly, well regarded in the community.

The inheritor has a degree in psychology and felt she was getting ripped off.

I don't have any degrees, but I have practised interrogation and body language techniques for a number of years and know how to speak to people.

Hands on experience trumps anything written in books.:cool:

pearlsnblume, Fid, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  16. daveydempsey

Having just had the centenary of the end of WWI I find it strange that I just found these today, tucked away in a cardboard box in a hard to find and access part of the attic.

Very large photographs from the WWI era, they have never seen the light of day for decades.
    Its a shame no one is alive to identify these people..

20181113_193421.jpg

20181113_193507.jpg

20181113_193614.jpg

20181113_193443.jpg

A sketch under glass of an airplane battle between British & German biplanes

20181113_193316.jpg

This is the cover of the box which was for fur storage, I think it dates to before 1920.

20181113_193635.jpg

20181113_193648.jpg

17. komokwa

perception is key to a friendly discourse...!! :happy:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  18. komokwa

great photo's !!!
    & the art is rich.......can you make our a signature ?

19. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Wow, Davey - that's some cool stuff there!

20. daveydempsey

Just trying to get into the frame now.
    Laters.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted