Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Got into the frame and under were the border was it says "Staffel 17 V Squadron 54.
    The sig is illegible.

img006.jpg

img007.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm told that original WW1 art has a large collector base......
    & so do bi-planes...

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and daveydempsey like this.
  3. komokwa

owwww....that's nice !!!
    likely pilot drawn..??? maybe ?

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

These pics were in the box too, most likely earlier than WWI probably Victorian.

20181113_193545.jpg

20181113_193535.jpg

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Delightful photos, Davey! I would guess ca.1900-1910, just based on my own family photos.

6. komokwa

No. 54 Squadron

5 May 1916 Castle Bromwich [56] To the RAF on 1 April 1918, based at Conteville, France

Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel 17 was a "hunting group" (i.e., fighter squadron) of the Luftstreitkräfte, the air arm of the Imperial German Army during World War I. As one of the original German fighter squadrons, the unit would score 101 aerial victories[1] (including fourteen wins over enemy observation balloons) during the war, with another 22 of the squadron's claims going unconfirmed.[2]

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Great photos, that sketch is wonderful, I like that box also :)

8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Love the amber Evelyb -- would have made a beeline for that. Nice job restringing.

Good to know about the perfumes, and yes Davey - nice finds from the clean out.

Never seem to find time to post finds, but procrastinating doing something else, so here goes:

First is "Flemish Art Co" pyrography. Shameless advertising: I already have it on auction on my secondary Ebay account, MeowAntiques. Kind of cool, it has "Christmas 1917" on the back.

2nd is a Goodform chair. Label reads 1977. What is especially awesome about this chair, the aluminum back rest works like a spring and sort of molds to your back when you sit in it. Crazy comfortable! Back label shows it is the property of "General Accident". (Hope they don't come after me!)

Finally, my FAVORITE find, esp this time of year-- No huge value, but vintage sequin, slightly tacky, Christmas wall hangings! I just got these yesterday and I LOVE them. I listed them already, but put them on auction super high with mediocre photos so that no one will buy them. They are new to me so I want to use them this year, but if someone just has to have them for a high price, so be it!

flem3.jpg flem5c.jpg good1.jpg good1c.jpg mail3.jpg wall1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

@daveydempsey - it really is a pity those blokes in uniform aren't identified. Everyone in the family knew great-uncle Albert, but unfortunately the family never told anyone else. Dagnabbit. That sketch of the battle ought to sell for some serious money ... and I wonder if at least one of those gents in uniform wasn't involved, or if one might have been on the ground and done the sketch. We may never know.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

One of those Debenhams boxes was on a daytime TV show a couple of days ago. Early 20th, they reckoned.

davey, might be worth seeing if the IWM or Hendon would like to buy that sketch and/or the photos. That red one is an attempt at portraying von Richthofen. Wrong unit, of course.

Christmasjoy and daveydempsey like this.
  11. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Davey, just being nice to people is the best business skill one can have. It doesn't cost anything, and in this world, there isn't enough nice to go around. People also like good listeners (my forte.) Something about me, people open up to me all the time....I don't mind. We are all human and need warmth and comfort.

I have done well with vintage boxes, used and unused, of powders and bottled of body lotions, too..... don't discount them. I bought a retired Mary Kay dealer out of her fragrances at a flea market a few years back and sold it all at Christmas. Whenever I find the original Ambush by Dana, that is a keeper. I found a huge vintage bottle of Dana Canoe for my husband (we both love that scent and it is kind of the male version of Ambush) which he promptly dropped on the bathroom floor and broke (bathroom smelled like Canoe for months.)

kentworld, Bronwen, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Vintage soap can do well too - the old Maja sells nicely around here.

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  13. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

So my new plan for satisfying the urge to acquire when I have NO room is to go small !
    3 1/2 inch lacquer box,love the mother of pearl inlay. It was indescribably filthy !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Branksome Kitty figurine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    paperweight,is it anything special ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

D001CA37-33E6-44E0-AD41-8CB598FF85F9.jpeg
    Is there a signature? Or just something else?

15. komokwa

I hate to say the paperweight....funky as it is.....looks like it contains a nuclear explosion...:eek:

Happy!, Bronwen, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  16. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I really like the "kitty-cat" (as we say around here). ;)

17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol johnny, let us know how that goes:) love that little box!

looks like a signature to me too

18. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Scratches,I thought the same thing when I got it.

Bronwen, komokwa and i need help like this.
  19. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Komo, I thought the same thing - and I even went looking for another one like it.
    I actually found one (sadly not the same, by any means) but with the title:
    NUCLEAR MUSHROOM CLOUD ERUPTION STUDIO ART GLASS PAPERWEIGHT!

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/goran-warff-kosta-nuclear-mushroom-522960073

Johnny, you found some really cool stuff!

20. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Johnny, I wasn't familiar with Branksome, so I looked it up. Here's a bit of interesting info:

Branksome China
    The Branksome company has been owned and run by the Baggaley family since it started in 1945. Ernest Baggaley had come from his home in Stoke to work for Poole Pottery in 1936 and remained there until the end of the Second World War.

The Branksome factory, originally at Surrey Road, Bournemouth, moved to nearby Westbourne in 1957 following financial difficulties brought on by enlargement, and then again in 1966 to their present home in Fordingbridge, Hampshire.

In the early days Branksome were very successful with their hard-wearing china ranges which they styled Felspathic Fine China. A particularly popular design was Graceline, a range of twin-tone pastel tableware made in sixteen colourways. Graceline is now much sought-after by Branksome collectors and 1950s enthusiasts. The Branksome animal figures, introduced in the 1950s are also widely collected.

In recent years staff has been kept to a minimum - a tenth of the number employed in the 1940s and 50s - but the wares are still hand painted and finished. Underglaze oxide colours are brushed on before application of a clear glaze and firing in a large capacity electric kiln.

http://www.studiopottery.com/cgi-bin/mp.cgi?item=323

And there's another cat like yours here:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/387287...erest&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share

It sold for £19.99!

Draft saved Draft deleted