Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I was talking to my cousin at my mom's funeral last week. He said his son is a 'picker'. He works for Illwill in the back room making sure nothing of value goes out into the store.

2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

That would explain a lot about my GW. Although once in a blue moon things do get missed. But nothing like the finds some folks have here. Lucky!

Sorry about your Mom, Terry. Condolences.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Oh Terry! I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

We have some Savers like stores here on LI. Some are called Unique. I have only been to one and it is rare to find anything worth buying. I keep telling myself I need to go to the further away one to check that one out.
    I went to my local thrift today knowing full well that I would be disappointed and I was.:mad::confused::mad:

Same junk I saw 2 months ago plus more junk. One culver like glass, not a popular pattern and not in good shape $4. They had 4 glasses. Bet the next time I go, they will still be there. That store used to be so crowded with people shopping, now it is empty due to crappy stock and crappy sales people and high prices.

Terry sorry about your loss.

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

sorry for your loss Terry

there is a guy here that gets first dibs on everything through the Salvation Army, his mom is the manager at the main drop off store.

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The University medical center thrift catches a lot of stuff before it goes out on the floor. Dagnabbit. Sometimes you get lucky though.

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i tell friends and family stories of that......stored in the change room...right ?

8. komokwa

Terry.........sorry for your loss !

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I was told last week that GW has new upper management & all store managers have been told to raise the prices they are charging for items. :wacky::wacky::wacky:

The worst example I have seen is one store here in Columbia got in a partial set of Franciscan Madiera. They had place setting pieces bundled together & a few serving pieces all were price individually at $40.99 each. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

There are still bargains scattered around, but I am glad I do not have to rely on finding all of my stuff there. :p:p

10. komokwa

Kinda like when the dollar store...started selling items for more than a dollar !!!

11. evelyb30

In the Ill Will I've found dollar store items sold for more than a dollar. :hungover::hungover::hungover: Or at least marked more than a dollar; I don't think anyone was buying since the dollar store sticker was still affixed to the item!

12. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I don't normally do kisch but this is an actual old piece that someone turned into a wall pocket and it was the price of scrap brass
    kisch 001.JPG kisch 003.JPG kisch 002.JPG kisch 004.JPG kisch 005.JPG

13. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I remember those being used as ashtrays in the 1960s. Not at all sure they weren't created for that purpose. Lots of them around.

Debora

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  15. Castelli

Castelli Active Member

This 17th century painted screen arrived today at 2.200 euro price! Needless to say, I did not buy it! screen.jpg

16. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I couldn't pass up all this pink glass at a good price:

PinkGlass1.jpg

PinkGlass2.jpg

17. evelyb30

That's a nice pile of glassware. What will you do with it, besides gloat?

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  18. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I'll be selling it. There are a few pieces that will go to antique shows, some I will list on eboo and the rest will go to the flea.

19. Suzy60us

Suzy60us Well-Known Member

Found a Waltersperger Perfume Bottle at the thrift store. Thanks Antiquers !
    I never heard of Waltersperger until last month here on the Finds Thread.
    DSC05035 (2).JPG DSC05037.JPG DSC05036.JPG

20. komokwa

nice find.........always helps to have a label on it !! :hilarious::hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted