Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

kyratango likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Oh dear, more for the hoard.

A couple of Christian Dior 1980s NOS bits, one set marked as Grosse, who made for them. All of six dollars ish.

B86A.jpg B87B.jpg B87C.jpg B87D.jpg B87A.jpg

3. Ownedbybear

And one for @Any Jewelry . Bloke who sold me this reckoned it was Afghan, which seems reasonable. What do you think?

B89C.jpg B89A.jpg B89E.jpg B89B.jpg B89D.jpg

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Inventive. I've never seen a necklace closed with a shower curtain ring before.

Debora

kyratango likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Nor me! I suspect it is meant to be four necklaces, sans proper catches.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  6. Eliza

Eliza New Member

anundverkaufen and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. Eliza

Eliza New Member

8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

There are only 8 states where ivory sales are banned.

9. alex webb

alex webb Well-Known Member

bought this thursday for under 100$cdn. sorta feel guilty.
    [​IMG]
    got some arne jacobsen goodies too. people think its junk.

peace

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It just says Sterling as far as I can tell, but it did come with a matching pendant. I may have to go back for a second look. That monster on my pinkie is signed, but the maker is a mystery to me.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Lovely piece..very detailed....
    You'll have to find any recent auctions where Ivory boats have been sold to get a good fair market value, & even then......it's so hard to put a price on these not knowing the size or age of what you have.........:sorry::sorry::sorry:

kyratango likes this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I have seen them used exactly this way to hold glass beads being sold by the strand in a bead shop.

Ownedbybear and kyratango like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah. Then perhaps these were meant to be sold as individual strands? (And someone just got greedy?)

Deora

Ownedbybear and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bronwen

Intrastate sales. All interstate sales & export are banned.

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  15. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

16. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

@Eliza - Basically you can NOT sell your ivory piece. You can 'own' it or 'gift' it to a relative and that is about it.

"It’s not illegal to already own ivory. Personal possession is OK, because a family heirloom can pass down within the family. "

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Bronwen

Before we get overly exercised about this, maybe it would be good to have a better idea of whether it really is ivory. I can't tell from photo.

upload_2019-6-10_0-13-17.png

@Eliza If you use the search function to look for posts that include the words 'schreger lines', you will find other places where we have debated whether an item is or is not genuine ivory & get an idea of what we look for in making this decision. Then, if you want more input, start a thread for it that includes more photos with more detail. We would be very interested in seeing the underside. :)

kyratango likes this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Individual strands makes sense, @Bronwen and @Debora . They cost a whole six dollars for the lot, and I've plenty of catches I can use.

komokwa, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Afghans make many fashionable styles with an 'ethnic' look nowadays, so it could be Afghan made, but not traditional. I have seen similar contemporary Afghan necklaces made with lapis lazuli or 'Afghan jade' (serpentine).
    It is.:)

kyratango, Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Thanks! I shall wear it as one, it looks more effective I reckon. I can't decide what the yellow dangles are. Cold enough for glass, but oddly frosted and the interior looks stone.

Draft saved Draft deleted