Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I was going to ask if they were footwear related. Can see using the wooden one with the U-shaped head to dust off the tops of shoes/boots before stepping out on the town. Other looks like the sort of thing Fuller Brush would make for some very specific application.

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Yes, I think so. They were in a box of shoe brushes. None of them looked as if they had been used much and were quite old. I regret not buying the whole box. They were from the same person with the desk set I showed. I bought the pyrography pic last sunday and have already forgotten where it is.

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

:joyful::joyful::rolleyes:

pearlsnblume and kyratango like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Any's cat swiped it! That is, if you didn't leave the paddock gate open again.

pearlsnblume, Bronwen and popsycat like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

No, she wasn't into pyrography. Just gold rings. She had a modest taste.:rolleyes:

6. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

i had bill sign this comic a couple years ago at comic con ,yours looks good to me , but the downfall is ,he does sign a lot of stuff .
    Star Trek #17 autographed by Captain kirk.JPG

7. MR Treasure Hunter

MR Treasure Hunter Well-Known Member

After a stressful morning waiting in for N.Power who never showed up I needed to go on a treasure hunt so I checked out the charity shops which turned out to be a brass, iron and copper day.

I bought an A.R.P Bell from WW2 1939 I actually had one of these on my bucket list but at 25 pounds I did hesitate and walked out the shop but I came back after checking out the other charity shops and doing some thinking and I thought to myself that I'll probably regret it so I just bought it. The charity shops are not cheap anymore so if I want things I just have to pay the money and to be fair there are many on ebay priced at 75 quid. I don't buy to sell, all the things I buy I keep in my collections.

I bought a lot of weights they were 7 pounds for the lot.

A couple weeks ago or so I had bought some brass cooking pots these also sell for a much higher price than what I paid for them, they will go in my kitchen I forgot all about these and I could not remember if I had mentioned these in any of my posts on here so I thought I'd include them in today's finds to show you all.

ghfjhtyu.png
    gfhfghtry.png
    ghjytyunbn.png
    gdjhghjghj.png

8. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Here's what I found today (the only thing but I'm happy with it):

"American Lawn Tennis -- the Illustrated Magazine of the Game"
    "September 15, 1948 50 Cents"
    "Founded in 1907 by S. Wallis Merrihew"

40 numbered pages not including covers

Page 38 "Togs & Topics" by Gussy Moran --- "The modern woman athlete has freedom of movement wearing brief, yet correct, attire." (emphasis added)

Under the photo of Gussy in the article is the following caption: "Gussy can roam in a pair of white sharkskin pedal pushers (emphasis added). The [short-sleeved] (emphasis added) jersey shirt is navy blue trimmed with white."

9. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

We are in Arizona, and on our way out of the state still outbound to Texas. Frequent stops have to happen because of the petites in the car.

While leaving Tucson we ran into a thrift store. Of course we stopped to stretch our legs and found two spoons that came with us. 28CDB32B-1D95-4F82-A8CA-4054DDD2CF4E.jpeg E09B1BB9-3E08-4F27-AA60-6E35CFA15934.jpeg 9B91C1F8-2D11-4335-B97C-4158CE23331C.jpeg B654DCF9-7A4F-45ED-A0C3-BB1D67AFEAF4.jpeg

10. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

11. BMRT

It looked Russian to me but I don’t know anything about it. No distinguishing marks of any kind. It’s very cute with it’s little curved handle.

The second one, dead on with that link! Thank you!

pearlsnblume, SBSVC and kyratango like this.
  12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

13. BMRT

Much appreciated!

pearlsnblume and kyratango like this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I got up at dark o'clock this morning to get to an estate sale early. It was a family sale and "we took the smaller stuff to our house to sell at a tag sale next month". :banghead::banghead::banghead: I found a button rattling around loose, a penny ... and a sandcast double naja belt buckle. Cost a dollar. A tag sale on the way back kicked up a pile of papercrafting items and a small silver necklace for $5 total. Then I spent $9.50 in a jewelry/junque shop on the way back that included a bali silver and bead torsade necklace and a bitty gold charm.

Then I went to an antique store; they were closing up to go to a grand opening down the block of a new Thai joint. So... off I went and instead of spending money I got free lunch. It's hard to argue with free lunch!

DSCF2225.JPG DSCF2229.JPG

kentworld, KSW, Figtree3 and 7 others like this.
  15. BMRT

Still on the road, now firmly in the middle of New Mexico. Stopped at a local-owned gas station, picked up a ring from a large display of assorted pieces.

The young woman manning the shop couldn’t tell me anything about any of their pieces. Apparently they buy them locally and in bulk. Who knows what this little bauble is made of, the inside writing is worn off. The best part is it actually fits! I have really thin fingers. 18581C2A-1603-43D0-AB9B-FA9B1CB44E5A.jpeg 75B75877-BA17-4026-881C-CF7A5DDFBE5F.jpeg E8D3B7FC-469B-4BBA-B490-663CC0689658.jpeg

16. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Charming find! Bravo:)

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a sandcast double naja belt buckle.
    upload_2019-8-17_17-40-43.jpeg

I'm thinking that may be something other than that...;):rolleyes:

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Today’s favorite pick, Ruba Rombic cream and sugar for $1.99. each (No tax day).
    CE23A4F0-F274-4F49-AC04-0BD2A1FB7204.jpeg

19. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Went to an estate auction today not expecting to find much. Another hoarders house that must have had an antique booth on the side. Many damaged antiques that would have otherwise been worth good money. Didn't think I'd find much but I was able to win the bid on a few things like usual. The Roseville Moderne vase as a small chip on the bottom but the price was right at $5 and the Roseville Hyde Park Ashtray has a flea bite too but it was also only $5. I think I enjoy the Rookwood vases the most and will have to find some more room in my china cabinets. The dog bowl is a McCoy. At the end of the sale the auctioneer didn't want to sell anything for under $10 and decided to hold the remaining items until their next auction. That really steamed me and will likely influence my bidding in the future with this auctioneer.

Rookwood - pair of vases.jpg Roseville moderne line.jpg Roseville Hyde Park Ashtray.jpg McCoy Dog Bowl.jpg Pottery Mugs 4.jpg

20. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

If the market for art pottery ever recovers I think I'm well positioned. If not then I'll just enjoy looking at these items in the collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted