Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Being in the UK I was confused for a moment (easy). Now I see why.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Daughters (10yrs) first proper solo find. In a pile of junk Jewellery.
    She thought it was turquoise which is why she bought it so it’s a bonus it’s 925 too. Don’t know if it’s real turquoise or lapis but she’s very proud. :smug:
    Embarrassingly in jewellery I’d already looked through.....:banghead:
    B8FCD668-AFCA-49C2-A598-BD0D3A25645B.jpeg D3072FF3-6D06-4CDF-B87B-73A637E962E1.jpeg 51E2C5E2-E068-453D-8CF2-CBA683E061C8.jpeg

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I really really have NO willpower....

A bundle of Stuff yesterday included a giant pair of KJL earrings. I need a dangle.

F04B.jpg F04A.jpg

And then, a wee bittie silver....

F30B.jpg F30A.jpg F30D.jpg F31A.jpg F30C.jpg F31B.jpg

4. Ownedbybear

And what did I do today? MORE BLING. Onyx and coral with a very nice silver clasp, Marvella pearls. Interesting earrings which are old pewter with Ruskin cabs, converted to clips I think. Four dollars.

Attached Files:

5. Ownedbybear

6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It goes without saying that everyone needs a trebuchet to keep their castle safe.
    The lions are a brilliant touch just in case you weren't scared off by the burning scrap they tossed at you!

7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

From photos, look like genuine lapis & turquoise to me. Another Antiquer in the making. Brava!

10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Very happy about this. I’ll tell her in the morning :)

11. Ownedbybear

The trebuchet could guard my hoard, you see. Keep off the JOOLS.

It isn't a kit, though, it's been scratch built. I suspect for some museum or other. And it works: I may yet drive the cats mad with it. Seller found it in his attic.

@Hollyblue - yes, isn't it interesting. There's a weeny tiny set of marks, one of which is 925, and I'm trying to decipher the rest.

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

DSCF2376.JPG DSCF2371.JPG DSCF2360.JPG That trebuchet sure looks good. I'd suspect it's a refugee from a historical scale display somewhere. I'm not sure what to do with it from here.

I went to an estate sale today, or rather back to one I went to yesterday. It turns out I should have gone to one particular yard sale instead, but spilt milk and all that - turns out the yard sale had sold vintage jools for $1 apiece. Instead I spent $90 (eep!) on a pair of necklaces at the estate over two days among other stuff. One necklace was sold as silver-plate, but it weighs a ton and scratches up like sterling. I don't think it's plated, just restrung with a costume clasp. The other is a designer piece sold as sterling and crystal. I haven't tested the metal since it's gold-washed, but the crystal is rock crystal.

Today one of the bags of Christmas ornaments looked good. I missed it somehow yesterday, but today I looked past the busted Coke Santa ornament and saw the early plastic snowman and the celluloid Santa. Cost me a dollar. I'm going to start a thread on the silver snuff box; it has a Victoria reign mark and a Birmingham anchor but I can't figure out whodunnit.

13. evelyb30

14. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Cute snowman.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  15. evelyb30

16. evelyb30

I love the fedora.

The other goodies came from hither and yon: old cloissone beads, a Binder Brothers locket, the paste brooch, the ring purse compact, and of course the trains. Because trains. The sand dollar felt legit, but it likes magnets.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and AJefferson like this.
  17. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Ooo - are those jelly belly parrots?

18. evelyb30

Not really. They're pretty much brand new. Cute, but new. I have a friend who loves birds, especially parrots. She'll probably end up with it.

19. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Evelyb, lots of great finds there. I love the Chinese bead necklace, looks like an especially nice one.

Late to an estate sale, screwed up the time by an hour, arrived 45 minutes late instead of 15 minutes early, forgot my loupe (I'm still off of coffee...) but actually found some things in spite of it all.

It was a Wednesday sale, professionally run, packed, but clean house, 99.9% newer stuff at first glance. Tons of jewelry, but literally almost everything new and didn't look that interesting. Also prices for the jewelry were a little bit high, $8 for necklaces, $5 a pin or bracelet. So I think people took a quick look, thought: "new" and "expensive" and went on to the rest of the house.

There were probably 50-80 necklaces all hanging from a few pegs. I even did a quick sweep of the jewelry thinking, "nothing there", grabbed 2 pins and went to the rest of the house.

But I'm someone who really digs through things.

Went through the necklaces again, and buried in the back was this thing:

jewl1.jpg

First thought --odd construction, but the pendant is kind of cool. Could see it had some kind of signature (but didn't have a loupe) so had someone else look and they said ... "Hattie..." and I filled in, "Carnegie." So that went immediately in my bag.

With new energy, I went through every inch of that jewelry. Here is what I got. Hobe Christmas pin, Boucher bow, Lia Sophia necklace (top), possible turquoise Heishi (?) --going to make a separate post, maybe a piece of D&E (making separate post) bracelet which I think might be Napier, signed "N", and the crown jewel, that Egyptian Revival Hattie Carnegie pin/pendant, which had nothing to do with the necklace it was on.

jewl2.jpg

20. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice Lucille and everyone else. We sure have a lot of joolies here.

Draft saved Draft deleted