Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Yes, got pretty excited when I sorted the whole business out myself.

Anyone have a WP account to see what that one sold for?

4. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Found this “Amsterdam School” brass dagbladenhouder (newspaper holder) for $2.99+, moderate paint loss but it has a good presence at 8-1/2” by 10-1/2”.
    5410ED6D-CBF5-430C-B24C-F515E409501C.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    KSW, Christmasjoy, kentworld and 12 others like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can you save us all some serious googling, @anundverkaufen ? What's a dagbladenhouder?

KSW, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  6. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Newspaper holder, added it to my post with edit.

KSW, Christmasjoy, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

8. Lucille.b

Agree, what a find! Would make an awesome display.

Christmasjoy and anundverkaufen like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If you got there late, you have to wonder what was there early. The bracelet could definitely be Napier. The Hattie piece was definitely a score.

Aquitaine, KSW, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  10. Lucille.b

Have to think I might have been the first serious jewelry buyer (by some divine miracle) because someone would have grabbed everything I got. Who would leave a Boucher pin, Hobe pin, Hattie Carnegie, etc etc at $5? Or maybe people got fooled because at first glance it honestly looked like there was nothing older at all. It was really a sale that appeared like there wasn't much for re-sellers. So so much new, 20 year old Macy's merch, every room, that kind of thing, hard to even describe. Clean but packed, almost nothing older and 99.9% of the jewelry (and there was TONS) was newer, not high end and not interesting. I even walked away from it to check the rest of the house, came back and only after digging found the best pieces. They had it displayed in sort of an unusual way. (Thank goodness!) Also sale was on a Wednesday which might not have hurt. Of course wondered what I missed, but then spotted the photos listed (sale went on for 4 days and was still online) and unbelievably I don't think I missed anything based on what was in the overhead photo of jewelry. I can't believe it, either.

The bracelet is awesome, but sadly has a lot of finish loss on the metal:

bra2.jpg bra3.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  11. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

There's a thread here on that style of stone: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/beautiful-bracelet-thoughts.38561/#post-649910

Sarah Coventry (with many others) was using it in the late 1960s.

12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wow on the Carnegie pin Lucille:) Looks like you scored some nice pieces!

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That bracelet looks like it was heavily worn.......and loved !!

14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Just got these in the mail, TLC natural coral necklace, screw back earrings and angel skin coral necklace that needs to be restrung. Projects are just not what I need right now but for the price (the natural coral earrings and necklace had 14k findings, the angel skin coral has sterling) I had to go for them. I think the seller would have done better if they had "angel skin" in the title, but they called it "white coral".

This is the listing photo, I haven't had time to work on them yet. The way they are arranged they look like a face to me :)

Coral.jpg

15. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Pretty project, Marie, for a nice bargain!:joyful:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Was at an auction with 175 pieces of furniture over the weekend and can confirm that the market for used brown furniture is pretty lifeless. Vintage beds selling for $10, Dressers $15 and so on. Wish I had room ......

17. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

The finds for this last weekend from a thrift and an estate sale:

This french-styled butter crock which I know is a new design but I was no less excited to find for a dollar and a quarter since I have been wanting one for a while.
    00A1B1B9-AE06-4BFF-8CFB-E1AE3CF184D0.jpeg

These two books on subjects I know nothing about and while outdated, looked interesting at 99 cents.
    61EFE1A9-716E-4A08-811F-E3008A6EDE81.jpeg DE6CA625-2885-4688-8E52-5485B7BCF9CF.jpeg

This little wooden cabinet, perfect size to hoist on a wall and hold more of my finds. A small necklace with pearl looking beads which caught my eye. Little lipstick holders for the vanity, a book on Norman Rockwell (I have a few of his prints up on the walls) and a Christmas children's book written with heavy Texas references because I live in this state now so why not? All together about twelve dollars.
    E93F6C11-5655-44E8-B337-6D40B6C32DBE.jpeg

And my favorite find so far these guilloché enamel & sterling salt and pepper shakers both marked from Norway. These cost a bit more than anything else at 20 but I had to have them. These look a bunch like the David Andersen ones I’ve seen online, I’m hoping they are but I haven’t dug into the marks. E4C6D8E1-6093-405C-8FD2-E02A6248C676.jpeg 6F0299C4-7016-4F50-828B-3FC1CD782492.jpeg 6F9F3BFF-C6B1-4970-BF4E-B80AED4B0FE2.jpeg

18. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Love the salt and pepper shakers! Hattie Carnegie SELLS, great find! I have been back to working 12 hours a day plus physical therapy twice a week during the evenings. Exhausted. But I did go to a lousy community yard sale Saturday where everything was looked up online and vastly overpriced. The good news there was that I overheard some dealers talking and they said a once-a-year flea market was happening and it was packed. It is in the opposite treasure-hunting direction and 40 minutes plus away, but I figured what the heck. I had a BALL. Tons of jewelry even though I got there late by my standards at 9:45 a.m. I have to try to photograph it, but I have an antique show I want to go to (if it isn't too hot, my heart can't take it anymore) Sunday. I did go to my regular flea market Sunday, late by my standards at 10 a.m., and it was packed. Found a few goodies jewelry-wise, too, there.

19. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Which one?

Draft saved Draft deleted