Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

I went to one estate sale today. I had 3 on my list but I had such a good time at the first that I burned the 2 hours I had set aside this morning for thrifting.:bucktooth:

Everything in this house was priced to MOVE. Tons of goodies from a bunch of different eras. Madam of the house definitely was a collector and she liked her knick knacks. My share: 839FEF54-A64C-48ED-991A-630716A4F238.jpeg A small velvet and wire hat with beaded leaves and tiny rhinestones modeled by my 4 year old. Purchased for $3.

FD3A133A-38B3-4DC3-ACD3-3C2AC436A00B.jpeg Small white gloves with silver thread embellishments at the wrists and no stains for $2.

BC39D9EF-7E11-4C1F-BD80-C7A9870DD424.jpeg Black velvet gloves, came with a matching scarf. Newer design but never got to be worn as they still had a sewed on tag from original purchase. $8

5ED66B10-6813-4B3E-A9FB-FC87553C19C0.jpeg This rope of seed pearls for $3

94946751-0F1D-4D03-9FCF-66CA29181CE7.jpeg A small crab brooch with a smaller marking on the back reading “SPAIN” for $3

3CCEDD6B-7A37-497A-9387-EFC1218B240A.jpeg This carved dragon for $4.

6FFBE555-8FDD-4EDD-9651-EA6560DD1079.jpeg A Kremetz cameo brooch priced at $10.

CF479D18-4879-43A8-946E-09EFED13D8BC.jpeg This bundle of corn cob holders which with the sterling handles should have probably fetched more than the $7 they priced them for. I don’t understand how they got overlooked.
    511FD5AE-E912-4CD1-9E41-0B94F70AD7DA.jpeg

And these coins from what was probably a bracelet for $3
    C7E7654D-A938-4E71-BF4B-76A87313057C.jpeg

ACP, pearlsnblume, Lucille.b and 14 others like this.
  2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Okay, am not going to ask the "mini price" you paid for that tiny gem (10 cm wide!!!), because, as a lover of old luggage, I am having one of my rare 'green with envy' moments and don't want to make it worse. Used to be that Louis Vuitton would check their archives if you had the serial number, don't know if they still do - but here is one with a bit higher number, described as "Early 1900s", sold at a Theriault's doll auction (scroll down for price realized): https://www.theriaults.com/miniature-firm-leather-valise-louis-vuitton-paris

~Cheryl

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Y I K E S!!!!! and N I C E!!!!

4. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

Must be a salesman sample or a toy.
    The handle is that big (and out of proportion to the suit case)because they could not make it smaller...to me!! (just my opinion!)

pearlsnblume, lloyd249 and Bronwen like this.
  5. kristiaan

Thanks for the link!
    I found one dating from many years ago, sold in France, with a higher serial number at 1000 euro.
    The mini price was really "mini"! ;-)
    We only found out it was a L V, when my wife was inspecting it while driving home.

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A man's travelling stud box, part of a matched set of luggage? Any evidence there was once an upper tray? Think a salesman's sample would be made to scale.

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

@BMRT Love!!! that crab pin and the sterling corn on the cob holders! Can you get a closer, more focused image of the mark next to "sterling?"

8. BMRT

13C91FA7-43C4-4C96-9CCF-7EF96059EB15.jpeg Unfortunately that’s about as close as I can get it right now.

9. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

i agree salesman sample

10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Wowzer on everything!!!

11. kristiaan

I haven't seen one with a upper tray, yet.
    It might just be a fantasy item.
    The women we got it from said here daddy used to keep his cuff links and removable shirt buttons in it.

12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I.e., daddy used it as a stud box.

13. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Awww! the hat is so beautifully complemented by the charming little face under it!;):joyful:
    I love the cob holders too:woot:
    Nice haul:)

Christmasjoy, cxgirl, Marko and 2 others like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Crab brooch is Toledo Ware and a nice example, too.

15. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I want to visit BMRT and play dress up and eat corn on the cob like I am at Downton Abbey.

These are a few things from the flea market I serendipitously ended up at two weeks ago. First, the beads. The orange are marked Western Germany on the clasp, look like they were never worn, the blue are givre.
    Clamtown Bead lot (640x621).jpg
    The brooch has open-backed clear beads
    Clamtown Vase Brooch (439x640).jpg
    I love this brooch, a whole $8, for the cut and clarity of the glass stones. I am guessing Czech.
    Czech cs brooch front (640x548).jpg
    Czech CS brooch (640x523).jpg

ACP, pearlsnblume, Aquitaine and 11 others like this.
  16. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

These are from a little flea market I sometimes visit. My jewelry lady was not there, but I found some goodies anyway. The earrings were all a dollar each, the sapphire and white sapphire are 14k, as are the little onyx earrings. The green earrings are jade, GF. The danglers, the yin yang, and the pearls are sterling. The MOP are alpaca, the little pendant needs TLC but was in a box of broken vintage jewelry I bought for $2. Probably 10 or 14k, diamond is real as are the seed pearls. The white danglers are costume, but will match my ivory and bone jewelry.
    Delaratos earrings (640x588).jpg
    Ivory skull on sterling chain from flea market, $5
    Ivory Skull (564x640).jpg
    Flea market brooches 1
    Clamtown brooches 1 (640x598).jpg
    Above, the center piece is a pendant marked Czechoslovakia, needs a few marcasites, below, the green flower brooches are sterling, the Chinese export brooch is marked silver and the heart is jade, and the bracelet is GF with smokey quartz.
    Clamtown brooches 2 (578x640).jpg

ACP, pearlsnblume, komokwa and 12 others like this.
  17. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I do exactly the same thing.

18. BMRT

I am LIVING for that ivory skull. The day of the dead holds a special significance in my heritage and skulls are a key representation.

If you find yourself in San Antonio, I’d be delighted to take you out to a flea market, an estate sale or a cotillion and I’ll bring corn cob stakes so we can enjoy some local roasted ears like true people born in the wrong era @Marko lol.

komokwa, Bronwen, SBSVC and 2 others like this.
  19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

20561FD3-CF87-4DB9-86DD-51D0A49F2340.jpeg D3C8A1E3-C820-4F35-BD72-B449B9DCAADB.jpeg 8191F730-ECC5-4579-8271-8101DCCACCD0.jpeg Just the shade only, so I don’t know what I can do with it. :hilarious:Waterford, Fred Curtis Hurricane 1999.

20. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

kyratango, Bronwen and Houseful like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted