Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

It’s been a wild week at casa de BMRT. My girls and my bigger hairier half had a car accident, completely totaled the vehicle. Husband had pulled up to a yield and the driver behind him failed to notice he had stopped and plowed right into the back going over 40. :jawdrop:

Thankfully the girls’ child seats did what they had been made to do and the only thing that happened to them was glass all over hair from the exploded windows. If the man who hit them had hit them harder they would have ended up in the flow of traffic they had yielded for...thankful that did not occur. Husband sustained a concussion and a broken bone in his arm but he’s hard headed and on the road to mend. :happy:

I have numbered days before I graduate my course and becoming a drill instructor. We are maximizing our weekends and I’m trying to pack in my hobby time while I still can. :bucktooth: We drove up to a community called Boerne. Between 4 small antique/vintage shops and some online purchase: 25090FD2-B9D6-4B64-B715-8A584F4DC82D.jpeg Enamel c-clasp pin, posted under jewelry to try and figure out the marks.

D009D912-68C1-47BB-A2DE-96E6E7302010.jpeg A cameo of some type (perhaps glass?) which has been polished up as well. My guess is the setting is brass.

B825155F-34C0-4A1D-8C88-A41BBDBB4D80.jpeg Large (about 5cms on each side) 925 pin. Posted this under jewelry as well to see if anyone knows this style/stone.

B32D80E6-01FF-4AFB-B21B-FB44076E102E.jpeg
    Black gold washed sterling David Andersen clips. Almost have the entire set now just missing the bracelet.

DB5BA407-C9AC-4671-BA8D-FA0F87BC0B32.jpeg A purse that is completely covered in metal embroidery. Here is a detail from it. The interior is a black velvet.

946E31A4-A6B8-4920-8F17-A5B82F739B9E.jpeg This cameo, unfortunately it does have some pearl bead loss but I liked her too much to leave behind. B122B481-941D-43D3-B5B6-2B0FB132E8EA.jpeg This stack of silver and glass coasters. Silver has a tiny mark reading “FB Rodgers Silver Co” and Sterling with a small crown.

8FE71EE2-2CBA-41D8-A6C7-F6873600EB3B.jpeg And this strand of garnets strung on a red string.

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Don't even know what to say re accident beyond... horrifying. But can tell you embroidered evening bag from India. Search word "zardozi."

Debora

pearlsnblume, kyratango and BMRT like this.
  3. BMRT

My guess is the man was on his phone or messing with something on the console. How else would you not see a car in front of you? It scared the hell out of me. Husband called and he made no sense on the phone (concussion) but managed to get out the location. I was already at work and booked out the door with only two sentences to my instructor.

Children are resilient little things. They both had a good shake up but when I arrived the paramedics and police had managed to calm them down and both girls had been excited to tell me about the “nurses” and “lights”.

@Debora thank you for the tip on the bag, I will look it up!

Bronwen, cxgirl, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  4. Sev85

Sev85 Member

Some new ceramic purchases this month

Rather large Karl Ens Volkstedt Raven 1900-1919 (Büschelberger?). He's gorgeous and fits the season
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ernst Wahliss "Allegory of Fishing" 1897-1906... repair and cleanworthy piece but lovely
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a Rosenthal Selb Caasmann 1914
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

6. BMRT

Your raven has serious “Edgar Allan Poe” vibes. Love it.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm glad to hear the kids are alright !!:)
    I hope hubby suffers no long term ill effects and heals up quickly !!!
    sounds like the car got the worst of it..........& I hope your insurance covers everything you need covered !!!
    I trust you'll pass your course with flying colors !! :happy::happy:

8. BMRT

Yes, in the end the car & car seats did what the manufacturer intended and absorbed most of it. Thank you, insurance is one of those things your never think about while you pay into it until you suddenly need it. They are taking care of us now. Appreciate it! @komokwa

Bronwen, Aquitaine, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  9. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

A common way for accidents to happen at yield signs: second driver is under assumption first driver is "going through" and is looking to left (at oncoming traffic) for next opening. All the while not realizing first driver did not "go through."

Yes, family experience brings me this tidbit. We were also lucky injury-wise, car not so much.

Glad your kiddos are safe and hubby is in recovery mode.

Love the embroidery.

10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I am glad your family is well. Nobody yields in South Jersey, it is dangerous.

Your cameo is to die for.

Bronwen, lloyd249, cxgirl and 4 others like this.
  11. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I went to a bi-annual flea market a couple of weeks ago, there was more than I expected. It seems to be locket and charm day... one lady who was about 70 was selling her grandmother's jewelry. The center sterling heart locket is engraved 1911. The comedy and tragedy mask pin is sterling.
    Locket Lot Vintage (640x506).jpg
    My usual flea market sterling lady had this for only $30. It is 950 silver, beautiful cultered pearls. I looked at one at an antique show not nearly as nice, and they wanted $160, 925 sterling. This one is made for a larger wrist, about 8 inches, always a selling plus. I have earrings that match it well.
    950 Cultured Pearl Bracelet (640x640).jpg
    This was $5, my jewelry guy at my usual haunt missed it. Sterling charm bracelet, also at least 8 inches.
    Sterling Charm Bracelet Large (582x640).jpg
    Unusual anniversary of Shakespeare's birth sterling charm, haven't see another one like it on the internet. A whole $5.
    Shakespeare charm front (537x640).jpg Shakespeare charm back (492x640).jpg

12. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Some more... the little sterling book locket brooch was $2
    sterling book brooch.jpg
    MOP long graduated strand, $3
    MOP graduated Atsion (575x640).jpg
    A close up of a very gothic religious medal, sterling, dated 1956, I love it!
    Religious Medal Gothic (504x640).jpg

13. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

So cool. Matches can be found if you search on (with quotes): "400th anniversary" "shakespeare" "silver"

Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like a Fairy Cross/stone on the charm bracelet,don't see them very often.

15. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

A few additions to the hoard from an antique mall. Saw some other stuff I really liked but they wanted an arm and a leg. A few postcards posted in the other thread too.

hull pottery calla lilly vase.jpg pinback badge northwest petroleum association convention.jpg

16. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I visited an old lady today (Sunday) to buy some coins she had found in her recently deceased husbands box from under the bed.
    In over 70 years of marriage she never went in the box.

The coins although silver were pretty average but she also pulled out a bag of medals.

Mister was a Canadian soldier she met in WWII whilst he was on RR in the UK, they married and he remained in the UK.
    The medals appear to be war booty or looted whilst he was in Germany in 1944-45.

I did not know this medal existed until today.

Nazi civilian cross of honour, Der Deutsche Mutter.

Cross of Honour of the German Mother, an award instituted following a December 16, 1938, decree by Adolph Hitler to encourage German women to bear more children.
    It was awarded by the Nazi Party in Hitler's name, with his signature engraved on the back.
    A recipient could be nominated by the Party or a government official and had to be of pure German origin and good character. The medal was issued in three levels: first class, gold, for mothers with eight or more children; second class, silver, for six to seven children; third class, bronze for four to five children. The medals were awarded from 1939 to 1944 to more than three million German women.

Thats an awful lot of Nazi kiddies and many of them may still be alive.

Bronze, Silver and Gold and some pesky Canadan pinched em from some poor Nazi :rolleyes:;)

IMG_0024-vert.jpg

kentworld, Bronwen, Aquitaine and 9 others like this.
  17. daveydempsey

More medals to follow.

German Eastern Front.
    The Eastern Front Medal (German: Medaille „Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42“) was a World War II German military decoration awarded to both German and Axis personnel. It was awarded to those who served on the German Eastern Front during the winter campaign period of 15 November 1941 to 15 April 1942

The one on the right is a die struck aluminium award for civilian air raid personel.

IMG_0032-vert.jpg

Never heard of these either.

Spanish volunteers to the Nazi cause,
    The Blue Division officially designated as División Española de Voluntarios by the Spanish Army fighting in Russia.

IMG_0038-horz.jpg

KSW, kentworld, Bronwen and 7 others like this.
  18. daveydempsey

1936 Berlin Olympic Games visitors pin/badge

IMG_0040-horz.jpg

Some WWI & II Crosses

IMG_0034-vert.jpg

I believe this is the clasp to the Iron Cross.

IMG_0036-horz.jpg

19. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

My goodness, Davey. That must have been quite the conversation.

20. daveydempsey

She thought the medals were disgusting and did not want money for them, however she thought the coins were worth a fortune, but they Weren't.

I paid her a bonus for the coins and took the medals for free,:rolleyes: afterall the medals are still stolen property but from who and where we don't know.
    I'm waiting for a knock at the door from the Waffen SS:D

Bronwen, cxgirl, kyratango and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted