Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

I did notice and wondered about that. Is it common practice to have them knotted? The one pearl necklace I had was years ago and my younger sister spirited it away. I don’t remember seeing if it was strung with knots.

Bronwen likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that looks like molded foam with a compression bar......so..not for tobacco.

3. BMRT

I found my favorite silver thing I’ve found hands down today at an antique mall: 575D6A35-565E-4C61-8EEA-3AFAC8999C25.jpeg A compact with an enamel top. The spiderwebbed design underneath is a first for me. All the ones I’ve run across are flowers or other geometric designs. Comes with a small mirror on the inner lid and a blob of what looks like talc powder on a small circle of glass. Stamped “sterling” and “0 7 6 0”.

711517F7-FBFB-4CC1-A8A7-D60E772AD6B1.jpeg This glass, I’m guessing it’s for holding something like crackers?

1C08F904-C808-429A-A44D-9156101EDC8E.jpeg And this small sterling crown brooch. I liked the patina against the marcasite and what I assume is garnets.

Aquitaine, SBSVC, lloyd249 and 8 others like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

@BMRT What are the dimensions on glass piece?

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

love the compact:)
    yes, looks like a cracker holder

BMRT likes this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I have a similar cracker holder here. It was my grandmothers. Mine is made of plastic.

cxgirl and BMRT like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Really good pearls are always knotted to keep them from rubbing on each other. Knots don't guarantee good pearls, but lack of knots is a good indicator of inexpensive ones.

lloyd249, cxgirl, BMRT and 1 other person like this.
  8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Could the « talc » be cocaïn?:cool::bucktooth:

lloyd249, cxgirl, BMRT and 1 other person like this.
  9. BMRT

A particular different Halloween treat: nose candy. :hungry:

I will certainly not try it out lol. I never know how to feel with vanity pieces that come with old cosmetics. I’ve always cleaned them out.

10. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Got some more finds coming! Will snap some pics and hopefully post them tonight. Added a few pieces of Roseville Pottery, Weller Pottery, and a few postcards/pieces of advertising ephemera to the hoard.

Christmasjoy, lloyd249 and kyratango like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Goodie! At least somebody is finding something!

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I have some really nice goodies but have had no time to take photos - until this week! I will post in the next day or so :)

13. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Going to break this down into several posts. Was at an estate auction over the weekend. 250 lots of mostly art pottery and glass at this particular sale but the auctioneer has several more in the works since the deceased was a art pottery mega collector with other 1000+ pieces of art pottery. Below were my purchases, I was trying very hard to be selective and only purchase quality pieces.

Weller Pottery
    Weller Velva large.jpg Weller Velva medium.jpg Weller Velva small.jpg Weller Elberta 1.jpg Weller Elberta 2.jpg Weller Paragon.jpg

14. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

15. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Now the Roseville Pottery

Roseville Russco large vase.jpg Roseville Orion bulbous vase.jpg

As you can see I got a little bit out of control in my collecting this weekend! Cool stuff though......

16. Bakersgma

Joe - Do you know which line that first Weller vase is from? I just went through the book I have and could not see a line it would be part of. Unfortunately the book does not have pictures from every line, so it might be one of non-pictured ones.

Aquitaine, Bronwen and Joe2007 like this.
  17. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Top three pics of my 1st post are Weller Velva. Purchased all three vases they had. The largest is 10 inches, next is 9 inches, and last is 7 inches.

Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  18. Bakersgma

Thanks, Joe. I see it in the book now - but only 1 small picture different form and almost monotone in brown. Yours is much more attractive!

Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  19. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Those are nice vases, Joe. I find them all aesthetically pleasant which is probably my main criteria for buying pottery now. None are particularly rare or high value items at this time but I know right now you're building a collection. Nice looking items always seem to hold some value. Plus they have decent mold details and no damage. I doubt you'll lose any money if you do decide to sell at some point. Will they increase in value? I like to think so. I like to think that at some point this minimalist decorating trend will run its course and art pottery will become popular again. Thank you for being a collector. It gives some hope to the rest of us that the items we love are still appreciated!
    Don

Aquitaine, SBSVC, Bakersgma and 5 others like this.
  20. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Thanks for the kind words, Don. I always appreciate your expert input on all things art pottery. I didn't have much Weller Pottery up until now.

Joe

kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted