Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Antique Discussion
>
Finds Thread
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="Bronwen, post: 13200122, member: 5833"]Do we know what color streak gutta percha or Vulcanite would leave?</p><p><br /></p><p>It's tough from photos:</p><p><br /></p><p>[ATTACH=full]561056[/ATTACH]</p><p><br /></p><p>[ATTACH=full]561057[/ATTACH]</p><p><br /></p><p>Agree with AJ that the high gloss of polished jet is not there. The brown that tends to be in crevices after long aging is not characteristic of any jet I have seen, but I have seen it on molded pieces. Jet seems quite stable while the other materials begin to decompose. The decoration on the front cover is attached, not carved as a single piece.* I can't tell from pix how the hinge is put together. All in all, I think it looks molded rather than carved.</p><p><br /></p><p>* I don't know whether molded pieces were ever decorated with carved jet, whether the bird could be jet while the body not.[/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="Bronwen, post: 13200122, member: 5833"]Do we know what color streak gutta percha or Vulcanite would leave? It's tough from photos: [ATTACH=full]561056[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]561057[/ATTACH] Agree with AJ that the high gloss of polished jet is not there. The brown that tends to be in crevices after long aging is not characteristic of any jet I have seen, but I have seen it on molded pieces. Jet seems quite stable while the other materials begin to decompose. The decoration on the front cover is attached, not carved as a single piece.* I can't tell from pix how the hinge is put together. All in all, I think it looks molded rather than carved. * I don't know whether molded pieces were ever decorated with carved jet, whether the bird could be jet while the body not.[/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Antique Discussion
>
Finds Thread
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...