Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Antique Discussion
>
Finds Thread
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="Bronwen, post: 13202117, member: 5833"]Are there any indications of a later marriage other than the less than perfect match for size? The impression I have formed over the years is that the jet frames were made in standard sizes, while there is no standard sizing for shell cameos. I have seen many where it looks to me like the edges of the cameo have been shaved down to make it fit the frame, sometimes leaving a disproportionately small field around the figure. I only have one, quite a large, thick, heavy conch shell cameo, in a jet frame that rises & falls with the shape of the shell.</p><p><br /></p><p>It occurs to me that jet & conch shell may have been paired so much not because people like the combo of pink & black but because most conch shell cameos have flat backs & level edges. When jet was used for helmet shell pieces, the fit is often uneasy.</p><p><br /></p><p>The first time I bought a cameo in a jet frame I all but accused the English seller of passing off plastic as jet, it was so glossy & light. I got a steal on this one because it was written up as being Celluloid:</p><p><br /></p><p>[ATTACH=full]561093[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="Bronwen, post: 13202117, member: 5833"]Are there any indications of a later marriage other than the less than perfect match for size? The impression I have formed over the years is that the jet frames were made in standard sizes, while there is no standard sizing for shell cameos. I have seen many where it looks to me like the edges of the cameo have been shaved down to make it fit the frame, sometimes leaving a disproportionately small field around the figure. I only have one, quite a large, thick, heavy conch shell cameo, in a jet frame that rises & falls with the shape of the shell. It occurs to me that jet & conch shell may have been paired so much not because people like the combo of pink & black but because most conch shell cameos have flat backs & level edges. When jet was used for helmet shell pieces, the fit is often uneasy. The first time I bought a cameo in a jet frame I all but accused the English seller of passing off plastic as jet, it was so glossy & light. I got a steal on this one because it was written up as being Celluloid: [ATTACH=full]561093[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Antique Discussion
>
Finds Thread
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...