Featured Fine Russian Gilt Silver & Enamel Perfume Bottle - 5.5 inch

Discussion in 'Silver' started by laura9797, Jan 24, 2023.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Question regarding hallmarks - I was able to decipher the Kokoshnik mark as Ivan Sergeevich Lebyodkin - Moscow. There is also just a simple mark on the dauber itself and at first I thought it might be a Minerva head. The price tag on the bottom was $2500 and it was purchased in the late 90's. I am considering this as 'shaded cloisonne' but it also looks like plique-à-jour or champleve? Any thoughts? Thanks for looking!
    IMG_7933.jpg IMG_7934.jpg IMG_7936.JPG IMG_7937.JPG

Boland, IvaPan, LauraGarnet02 and 9 others like this.
  2. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

My only thought is how wonderful.

IvaPan, judy, wlwhittier and 5 others like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

IvaPan, judy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, laura.
    It is cloisonné enamel, made by soldering wires on a metal base and filling them with enamel.
    I think 'shaded' simply means colour shading, which many cloisonné pieces have.

Plique-à-jour enamel is translucent, it has no backing and the enamels are like coloured glass windows inside the metal wire cloisons.
    Champlevé is when the metal is partly cut out, creating pools which are filled with enamel.

kyratango, IvaPan, judy and 5 others like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd call it cloisonne, or plain old Russian enamel. If enamel can be plain.

IvaPan, Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

I don't have words to describe it. Wow, Wow...cool.!!!!!!Thank You.

IvaPan and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who,while absolutely loving it,think it *might* be a copy? During the 80s-90s there was a fierce market for Russian things,and I know a scad of things were faked. Something about the enameling is giving me pause,but Im often wrong so there is that !

8. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

Everyone can have their own opinion.

komokwa likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Faked Russian "marks" abound online. And what's online may also show up in the wild. I'm not very experienced with Russian marks, but I get the feeling there is something missing.

kyratango, IvaPan, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  10. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

I can't see the marks and tell what it is? I only see marks ''kokoshnik and 84''some mark of city.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

Does this help?

IMG_7936.JPG

IvaPan and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

Thank you .Marks - silver 84 ''kokoshnik '' next to ,should be two small letters[Makers' Mark] ,I can't see.

IvaPan likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

Do you have a magnifying app on your phone? They are free. You can take photos with them

kyratango likes this.
  14. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

It was done, cannot see. That marks was used in Russia until 1908 ,city mark seems to me -St. Petersburg.

IvaPan and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

You're not.;)
    Frankly, I always assume Russian silver is fake, because so much of it is. Which is why I didn't say anything about real or not, just beautiful, which it certainly is, and an explanation of enamel terms.
    Besides, except for the closeup of the Kokoshnik mark I can't see the marks very well.

Because of the many fakes, I tend to stay away from Russian silver.

16. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

Sorry....smile .I didn't say anything about real or not .I was talking about marks, nothing else, cannot to see marks very well too , like I said before. Looks Beautiful, need to make good photos.

kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

That's OK Iouri, I wasn't judging you. I don't know either, and like you I would like to get a better view of the marks.
    Whether real or fake, someone did a great job, it certainly is beautiful.

kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  18. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Good morning! I'll have our photographer get better close ups of the mark and post them as soon as she does. Thank you for looking!

kyratango, judy, IvaPan and 3 others like this.
  19. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  20. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Just to say that as far as I can see from the current photos, the maker's mark is not in Cyrillic which is rather unusual. The first letter I don't discern and then it is "R" which is not a letter from the Cyrillic alphabet. I am no expert but as far as I know only Faberge produced items with his mark in Latin for export and these items were all equipped also with a serial number. Also some of his masters with foreign names used Latin marks but they are known and I don't recall anyone with second letter R.
    Also the kokoshnik looks somehow unusual.
    There are many resources in Russian about Imperial Russia and later USSR silver and gold marks. If there are better photos of the marks, maybe it will be easier to decipher the maker.
    louri, I assume that the maker's mark is the one next to the kokoshnik but in a separate cartouche/square, and then it comes in a third cartouche the finess 84 and the city mark - it also looks to me as St. Petersburg but can't be sure as Moscow at some point also used the two-head eagle.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    kyratango, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted