Featured Fine Silver PW Help - Country, Maker, Decipher of Name

Discussion in 'Silver' started by George Chaney, Jul 24, 2022.

1. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

Picked this pocket watch up for a decent price. For the life of me, I cannot figure out the crown fine silver details to figure out the country. Can't find anything on the ES inside a diamond. Can't decipher the script on the inner cover assuming that is the maker of the watch. When I purchased it, based upon styling I assumed it was French. Mind you, not a PW expert at all, just sometimes can't help myself when I feel the price is low
    enough.

It's about the size of a 6s, maybe 8s pocket watch. I assume it doesn't run as there is not key. Any help from you genius's would be greatly appreciated :)

IMG_8093.JPG IMG_8091.JPG IMG_8092.JPG IMG_8090B.jpg IMG_8090.JPG

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

It says, "FULL Jewelled", with a little flourish at the end...

~Cheryl

4. Roaring20s

Of course! I fooled myself. :facepalm:

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You're having a Danish day.;)

George Chaney, Roaring20s and judy like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

THIS watch has similar markings, seller states 1880, but their case also has English silver marks for Birmingham. Since yours is only marked "Fine Silver" (I can't read what's right above the crown), perhaps it's not sterling and that's why no further silver marks...?

George Chaney and Roaring20s like this.
  7. Roaring20s

To me, above the crown is the bottom portions of the "SIL" in silver from same die.

I read that Fine Silver is a higher grade than Sterling.

George Chaney and bluumz like this.
  8. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for your assistance. Drat, I had really hoped it was the name of the maker. Ah well, good to know otherwise. I have ordered a set of pocket watch keys, which I should have done years ago so I will get around at some point to testing it out. Such a pretty watch, I do hope it runs. Next time I am in Wilmington NC I will take it over to my gold buyer for testing. I have some jewelry repair work I need to get done as well and the shop I like to use, because I get such nice pricing, is around the corner from them.

Apologize for my lack of participation....wife and I had dinner and drinks with the neighbors yesterday, and we may, or may not have, gotten a little sloshed...lol Naturally, I had a honey do list today :)

komokwa and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted