Featured Finely Etched Wine Glass - Old or New ???

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 15Stiftgasse, May 4, 2023.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

I've yesterday decided to splash out on an etched wine glass, which should be arriving within the next few days. Although my knowledge of wine glasses is virtually nil, the decorative work, in my humble opinion, seems to be of quite decent quality. The glass is quite attractive - and it was pretty cheap! It stands c. 20cm high and bears a rhyme (in German) on the reverse.

I'm aware that there is a lot of modern and vintage 'antique-style' quality glass around from the Czech Republic and other areas in Europe.
    I'd be grateful to learn if the experts amongst you might be able to suggest if this piece is indeed old (19th century ?) or a more recently produced better-quality item made in the style of an antique.

Any help will be appreciated !

883_1695143691.jpg 883_-1777542065.jpg 883_-1809983172.jpg 883_765582980.jpg 883_-1186601872.jpg 883_395564574.jpg

bercrystal, judy, Born2it and 4 others like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

If you place some dark paper or cloth within the glass and take a photo of the text, we can better see the image and the text. ;)

3. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

it's most certainly old.... there still is some very fine CUT glass coming out - but no one is really etching glass at this caliber in current times - you couldn't sell it for a profit it would be so labor costly...

bercrystal, judy, Born2it and 2 others like this.
  4. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I'm still awaiting for the glass to arrive by post - hopefully in one piece.
    The rhyme roughly translates as 'He who doesn't love a nice horse, a pistol, and a bare sword as well as a pretty woman, has no heart in his body'.
    However, I've got three more pics which I'll upload.
    883_1813240650.jpg 883_1813240650.jpg 883_-389487579.jpg 883_-1878070777.jpg

bercrystal, judy, Born2it and 2 others like this.
  5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Looks typical for an early 19th German or Austro/Bohemian glass, can't say for sure from just pics but odds look good.

bercrystal, judy, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Theresienthal probably.

7. pewter2

pewter2 Well-Known Member

could the engraving relate to Charles ii and the Boscobel oak .. where he hid from Cromwell"s Roundhead troops following the battle of Worcester in 1651????? but German inscription does not appear to relate to same...just a thought but i am probably totally wrong . Will see what comes up as this is the best I can come up with.

bercrystal and 15Stiftgasse like this.
  8. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Old or new its a lovely thing. Maybe looking at the wear on base of it will give you an idea of age.

15Stiftgasse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted