Featured Fire breathing dragon brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Anna Johndrow, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Anna Johndrow

Anna Johndrow Active Member

Hi again. These two picture wouldn't fit in my previous post. Purchased in Mexico in the early 50's. Very heavy. Used to have a loop on the back for also hanging from a chain but it is now missing. Any input as to its desirability would be much appreciated.

Anna Brooch Smaller.jpg Brooch Markings.JPEG

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Anything Margot de Taxco sells handily, even though the bail has bailed. If it does get sold, I might do it through a good reputable jewelry store that takes estate consignments.

5. Anna Johndrow

Thank you. I am not interested in selling...just wanted to know about the piece. Daddy always brought my mother something back from his trips to Mexico. This one was one of the nicest. It used to have a loop for inserting a chain, but that is missing now.
    Thanks for the info.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The loop could be fixed - see reputable jeweler. I would need to be someone who knows how without munging up the enamel. Me, I'd get a coin stand and sit it in a cabinet and not worry about it.

Houseful and Bronwen like this.
  7. Anna Johndrow

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Your Dad has great taste! :)

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think I would go to someone who makes their own jewelry. Have them make you a bezel to fit with a bail on it. The bezel can be open in back to see the mark.

You don't want to put heat on it by soldering a new bail on the back.

Bronwen, Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  10. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

This is a family piece that would be great to hang on to. Will never loose value IMO and will probably increase over the years. Glad you are keeping it.

Good suggestions above about getting the bail repaired.

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, and very collectible. Margot de Taxco is a great name in Mexican jewellery.
    The dragon is actually Quetzalcoatl, a feathered or plumed serpent, one of the main deities of ancient Mexico. What looks like fire breathing is its forked serpent's tongue.

13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Thought so, but wasn't sure enough to say. I just like saying the word. My Zuni collection has many representations of Kolowisi, another serpent in the same vein.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted