Featured First antique?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Mallory Kuhlman, Mar 18, 2024.

1. Mallory Kuhlman

Mallory Kuhlman New Member

I found a dresser at a thrift store in the greater Cincinnati area. Originally I was going to paint it as a project but the craftsmanship reminded me of Amish work and I wasn’t sure if it was an antique so we opted to try to preserve it. I have a few pictures attached some are after we applied wood conditioner. My husband had to repair a few drawers but carefully pulled and reused the original nails and I have one in a picture. Any information on dating or type of dresser would be appreciated. Looking at previous threads I’m thinking American Empire?

Attached Files:

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I don't see anything Amish here but I do see good age. I am no expert so wait for others to check in.

It's a lovely old piece of furniture, please don't paint it!

3. Mallory Kuhlman

We won’t paint it! We used a heat gun and pulled the drawer liners up and carefully sanded the glue out. I was amazed how well the wood conditioner brought it back to life and it was a great experience trying to restore it!

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Very nice piece!

7. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Yes...Please Don't!

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

She's an oldie all right. Put some wax on the runners and get some replacement knobs if they're missing and not just removed. Then it can go back to work. Those are hand-cut dovetails. The ceramic ones aren't as old as the dresser, but they may be older too.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

While often called empire, I think more properly termed late classical. Circa 1850 and I would not be surprised if it wasn't made in Cincinnati.

10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yes , not Empire. I’d call it neo Classical and agree on the 1850-ish date. Walnut, and it most likely would have had round walnut pulls. You can probably find them online without too much trouble: stain to match. Not as ornate as it could be, and good, honest craftsmanship. I also would not be surprised if it were made in Cincinnati. It could even be a more “mainstream” dresser from Mitchell and Rammelsberg, one of the most prestigious cabinet makers ever to come from that city.

You and your husband are showing great respect and thoughtfulness with this work. Well done you!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  11. Mallory Kuhlman

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, I will look for walnut pulls so I can keep it original. My husband and I may have found a new hobby! It’s fun to think of what it’s been through and they definitely don’t build them like this anymore.

12. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Ditto Don't paint. I have had to strip too much paint in my life ! And welcome to the antique addiction.

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Was on my phone last night and could not see details. Agree with Ghopper regarding wood and pulls. Don't get just any old wooden pulls. The originals would have been larger than most you find on the market. I can't tell from these pics but they may also have been a wood screw-in type like this (those these are too small).

[​IMG]

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If the walnut ones prove hard to find, you may scare up some old-ish clear glass knobs. They'll look good and you can always pretend someone else did it 100 years ago. Which they probably did anyway!

Draft saved Draft deleted