Featured First day in Paris - French finds!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Barn Owl, Jan 4, 2023.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

First day in Paris. Couldn't make it to any flea markets, but dropped by a few antique stores and came out with some treasures. :)

35 euros for the huge Penca de Balangandan.

12.50 euros for the pitcher (can't make out the mark on the bottom, but it looks very old).

And 10 euros for the hamsa, which is my favorite find for today. Looks like it might have mine-cut diamonds or other stones. Sadly missing a few, but still love it. There's a diamond-shaped hallmark, but since I don't have my loupe, I can't make it out. I presume it's a French or Moroccan silver mark.

It's funny. Back when I was studying abroad a few years ago, I would've missed all this, but now that I know what to look for, I zoom right in on it.
    thumbnail (16).jpg thumbnail (21).jpg thumbnail (22).jpg thumbnail (15).jpg thumbnail (14).jpg thumbnail (19).jpg thumbnail (18).jpg

Daphnee, trip98, KSW and 16 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what.....no baguette !!!:playful::playful::playful::playful:

kyratango, dude, johnnycb09 and 4 others like this.
  3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Oh la la. Tres Chic
    Haven't seen you in quite a bit of time Barn Owl.

KSW, kyratango, dude and 2 others like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

trip98, KSW, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  5. Barn Owl

:smuggrin: Already ate them.

trip98, KSW, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  6. Barn Owl

Hey!! Yeah, it's honestly been a really difficult last few years for me, since I graduated college... I've been successful with antiquing and my day job, but I've found myself retreating from a lot of the things that used to bring me joy and passion, like this forum. I want to get back on this forum and become active again.

trip98, lloyd249, KSW and 14 others like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

as do we !;)

Welcome back, & Happy New Year !!:happy:

kyratango, dude, johnnycb09 and 4 others like this.
  8. Barn Owl

Thank you!! :) Happy New Year!

lloyd249, KSW, dude and 3 others like this.
  9. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Your pitcher looks like a wine pitcher that leave at your table.

KSW, dude, johnnycb09 and 1 other person like this.
  10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. I had never heard of penca de balangandan.

trip98, KSW, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  11. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Wow !I never heard of a Penca de Balangandan and I own one!. My mom bought when we lived in Venezuela for a Christmas present. I have been collecting charms ever since. I had to take some off because it got to heavy. But now I have a name to go with it. Thank you again Antiquers and barn owl. save as penca del Balanganda.jpg

trip98, KSW, kentworld and 7 others like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Very cool. The Hamsa threw me for a second; the five-pointed star was a what-the-???? , and then I realized it was Islamic instead of the Jewish ones I'm used to , and wear myself sometimes.

KSW, Barn Owl, Figtree3 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Barn Owl

Speaking of Judaica, I found a mezuzah at a flea market today, but I don't think it's old. In another thread, I'll share the pair of Torah finials I snagged at a souk in Morocco. :happy: Always keep an eye out for hamsas though, because I wear one too.

14. evelyb30

I've been known to rescue mezuzahs too. It's an observant Gentile thing. :D

Figtree3, komokwa and KSW like this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Great to see you back Barn!
    I love the hamsa, the stones look really interesting.

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My area was once quite Jewish, until people made more money and schlepped to bigger fancier houses. Some houses still have mezuzzahs. A Muslim neighbour asked me what the thing was on his door surround, so I told him. He said he'd not remove it, and would respect it as a sacred thing. Which pleased me immensely.

trip98, kentworld, KSW and 2 others like this.
  17. evelyb30

Mine has them! This neighborhood was mostly Jewish once upon a time. A synagogue that went under sold its building to a Chinese church. I ended up with the mezuzah covers off the doors when they cleaned out, and tried to give them back to someone with ties to the congregation. no luck. Gave them back to the church that moved in, who were happy to get them. No scrolls inside any more, naturally, but they went back home.

kentworld and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted