Featured Five Strand Green Stone & Seed Pearl Necklace - Older?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KikoBlueEyes, Apr 27, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I bought this tiny green stone and seed pearl necklace before everything closed down. I thought it looked older, because of the work involved in drilling holes in and stringing so many stones. The various surfaces reflect the light in different ways, so it looks complex in color even though the stones are the same material. I know they are stones because of the weight (six ounces). The necklace has five strands and is 19 inches long. I couldn't find the clasp in the sources I searched, but it is simple and not of a precious metal.

Any comments appreciated.

IMG_5977.jpg IMG_5978.jpg IMG_5980.jpg IMG_5981.jpg IMG_5982.jpg IMG_5983.jpg IMG_5984.jpg

Christmasjoy, aaroncab, KSW and 4 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The green stones are peridot chips. It looks like a craft project.

Christmasjoy, aaroncab, KSW and 6 others like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent. Hard working crafter. Thank you.

Christmasjoy, KSW, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Some poor soul, probably in India, did the drilling, not the person who did the stringing. The beads are sold by the strand. Agree with AJ that necklace is not commercially made.

5. KikoBlueEyes

Bronwen Thanks. Learned something new. I've seen strands of beads for sale but assumed you bought them to use for projects and you took them apart. Kiko

Christmasjoy, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Oh, usually you do restring them. You don't necessarily want all of them for your project & the cord they come on is usually not strong enough to use for wear. Just making clear that all that drilling does not indicate age; it still goes on & people like me who string beads but otherwise have no other jewellery making skills do no drilling themselves. These had to be restrung to add the pearls.

Do the strands hang well? If there's enough length, you could twist them & wear as a torsade. Nice color. :)

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I could have done that. Those beads were sold on cotton cording probably. Or nylon. Some crafter who needed end caps restrung them on tigertail. It wasn't finished properly; those tigertail ends can get loose and scratch the heebie jeebies out of the wearer.

8. KikoBlueEyes

That is also very helpful to know. I thought that most of these types of things were simpler nowadays. I think that is a great idea to twist them. A new word - torsade - too. You are just terrific.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

So a novice beader. I'll donate it back then as I have no interest in being scratched. Thank you.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted