Fixed back carriage clock info wanted.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by rhiwfield, Dec 10, 2016.

1. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Went to open the back to only to find that I would have to take clock apart to get at the gubbins inside.

Heavy, 2.1kg, 4.5 pounds!

Looks like the upper bolted back panel can be removed to allow the S/F adjustment to the platform escapement, while the revolving panel allows for winding and hands adjustment.

Anyone seen similar, no indication of maker other than Cope Nottingham to back?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I have not seen one like it but I suspect it is from the 1970s or thereabouts.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

KingofThings and afantiques like this.
  4. rhiwfield

Thanks af, that makes me feel a bit better!

KingofThings likes this.
  5. rhiwfield

Susan, many thanks for that, I'd only got as far as Cope's jewellers and hadn't tracked down their history. So it looks like Cope were the makers, I'm still puzzled why the back is fixed, presumably so it would be serviced by Cope and not mucked around with as I would do :)

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Whether Cope was the maker or not, I don't know. According to their website of today, Cope's is selling carriage clocks by Comitti of London.
    http://copejewellers.co.uk/clocks-giftware/comitti

Seems if made by Comitti or whomever their name would be visible on it. Soooo the maker may be Cope???

--- Susan

KingofThings likes this.
  7. rhiwfield

Shone a light through the holes in the back this morning and it is made by Elliott of London. I agree with af that is is modern, mid 20th century.

Here is a similar one

Unfortunately I suspect I'll get about 10% of that price!

8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Elliiott of Croydon was the last of the British high quality domestic clock makers but they became too expensive to compete with cheaper imports. I think they finally folded in the 70s or 80s. They were the last maker of fusee wall clocks in the world.

The linked item is surprisingly expensive yet the seller does not mention if it is a striking clock or just a timepiece, which seems a bit incompetent. Only a clock with a strike is a clock, no strike and it is defined as a timepiece.

I agree that something under £100 is a probable sale value for the carriage timepiece in this thread. Due to the depressed clock market I'd not be surprised if it cost £30 to £40 at auction, probably a tenth of the retail price new when it was made.

rhiwfield likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted