Featured Fixing an antique painted glass sign

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SeaGoat, Apr 16, 2016.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

I have reverse painted glass sign from Springfield Fire and Marine Co.
    Began in 1849
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Fire_&_Marine_Insurance_Co.

https://springfieldmuseums.org/coll...nsurance-co-hatch-co-lithography-broadway-ny/

The sign Id say is around the 1880s, if Im wrong, please let me know :D

Anyways, I was going to frame it and put it in my house.
    It is in rough condition with some of the paint missing.

I do have a bit of an artistic hand (knock on wood) and could probably fix it to look about exact as far as the lettering goes.

Its the paint matching Im worried about.
    I do have black chalk paint that will pretty much match the black paint on the glass and I dont think youd be able to tell much of a difference, but Im still iffy on even doing a test spot.

I do have gold metallic paint for the insurance part, but ehh, Im still iffy on that.

Either way, touching up or not, I was going to spray clear on the back to keep the paint from getting scratched or chipped further.
    Would this effect the clear part of the glass?
    What type of clear would yall suggest?

The picture Im posting is from the place I bought it. It is very dirty on the outside of the glass and will need to be cleaned, the only damaged part really is the S and the word insurance.

What would yall do?

[​IMG]

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd leave it alone. If you ever decide to sell, buyers prefer original condition. It's part of its history. Clean it gently, and frame it - I'd be tempted to back it with glass. Don't spray it.

cxgirl, komokwa, Wanttoknow and 3 others like this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

THAT is spectacular!!!
    As the self-inflicted 'sign guy' I am ;) I LOVE it and would climb over others to get it where discovered. :)
    ~
    Make or have a special frame made for it. Probably flat or satin black with either a matching gold fillet or a gold element running through the center of the frame's face.
    ~
    I concur to leave it alone but backing it is a good option. I would use glass but not allow it to touch, maybe an 1/8'" away, and vented, but.... I would work to mimic that layout on the backing glass so that it appeared better than it is. You would have to try this and see. It would be easy to test and re-do as necessary until you get what you want.
    This effort not working out then probably just black, sheen as required for the best look.
    ~
    I should think that this done well would enhance its look quite a bit and perhaps enhance its value as well. :)

cxgirl, komokwa, jackolin and 2 others like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

One of those shadow box style frames would work. hm?

lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  5. KingofThings

It would if the right one could be found and or modified to work. Wouldn't be hard to make if you have a table saw.
    These are quite handy and I'm always on the lookout for them at thrifts and G sales. I just got a nice one with Garlic in it.
    I use them to display things that have some depth.
    They are quite useful for making up gifts too. :)
    You can place items that the person would make a connection to and appreciate. :)
    If you have a shop or sell at a show these may help you to get those small items outta there! ;)

6. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Agreed leave paint alone. Plus if you "fixed it", it would loose its charm and look like a new repo.

cxgirl, komokwa, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's charming as is, I believe you will devalue it if you try to restore it.

cxgirl, komokwa, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& then go watch 20 shows back to back of American Pickers !!!!;)

KingofThings likes this.
  9. SeaGoat

20160428_121635.jpg Finally unwrapped it and wiped down the front. It was filthy with black dirt. Pretty sure it was stored in a garage.

Still some tougher dirt marks.
    The perfectionist in me is having a hard time not wanting to paint back the black parts.

It would just look 100x better.
    Not that I'm interested in selling, just wanting to know if it would really devalue it...
    How much do yall think it's worth as is vs fixing the black?

KingofThings likes this.
  10. KingofThings

Are you not considering the info I offered about it?

11. SeaGoat

Derp. Some how missed that.

Are you saying to paint the backing glass?

KingofThings likes this.
  12. KingofThings

Instant replay from 4/16 >>>
    ~
    THAT is spectacular!!!
    As the self-inflicted 'sign guy' I am ;) I LOVE it and would climb over others to get it where discovered. :)
    ~
    Make or have a special frame made for it. Probably flat or satin black with either a matching gold fillet or a gold element running through the center of the frame's face.
    ~
    I concur to leave it alone but backing it is a good option. I would use glass but not allow it to touch, maybe an 1/8'" away, and vented, but.... I would work to mimic that layout on the backing glass so that it appeared better than it is. You would have to try this and see. It would be easy to test and re-do as necessary until you get what you want.
    This effort not working out then probably just black, sheen as required for the best look.
    ~
    I should think that this done well would enhance its look quite a bit and perhaps enhance its value as well. :)

SeaGoat likes this.
  13. KingofThings

After all this...should you decide to part with it...let me know please.

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I've re-read this thread 3 times ....and it's pretty damn clear what has been suggested.
    BUT...
    I you want to repaint it and keep it and enjoy it ...no one here will stop you.

That said ...if it is from 1880 and you ' fix it up' ...when you go to sell it ...it'll go something like this....

Buyer....It looks mint....was it ever repainted?
    Seller....yes , in 2016 I repainted the damaged parts so it would look better.
    Buyer.... so then, it's not in it's original condition from when you found it?
    Seller..... Yes , that's the case, but now it looks so much better !!
    Buyer..... I'll give you $100 for it !
    Seller...... but it's from 1880 , and worth so much more.
    Buyer ..... not anymore it isn't !

antidiem, cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  15. KingofThings

Exactly Komo.
    I know you know why I offered the solution as I did. :)

16. SeaGoat

I read the forum a lot from my phone. When replies get long it can start getting jumbled and I sometimes miss parts :bag:

I found a local shop that said they will cut the glass for me and suggested using rubber stubs to keep the glass separated.

I looked at home depot the other day and found some crown molding Id like to make the frame with.
    To match my house better I think Im going to stain or oil the wood to a rich warm color..

I just dont know how to "attach" the glass to the back of the frame.
    Are there some sort of brackets I should be looking for?

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  17. KingofThings

I wouldn't have anything touch it if at all possible. Any moisture/pressure will make the paint transfer to other things.
    Can you make your own frame?
    If so you can cut 2 grooves. One for the sign and one for the glass backer.
    If you can't then put in some small wood stops behind the sign, minimal touching of the sign's back allowed.
    Then hold the glass backer in behind that.
    All this said...if you can't do this, it would be worth having it done. Even a Hobby Lobby could do this for you.

18. SeaGoat

Yeah, Im not a groove cutter lol

I was thinking of using something similar to this
    [​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  19. KingofThings

As long as you put something between the sign and the backer glass and make sure it can 'breathe'. If air is trapped in there it may fog and even if not fogging up, WILL degrade the paint further.
    You could drill some small holes in the top and bottom where they would be between the sign and the backer glass.
    Make sure there's no stress pressure on either the sign or backer glass. There's no need for this.

SeaGoat likes this.
  20. SeaGoat

What could cause stress?
    Brackets being too tight or the weight of itself?

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted